Esta for USA without USA address

Comments

• bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I just put ‘unknown’ when I did mine and never got asked any more about it either at the airport or on landing.

Probably not the wisest thing to do tbh, you may have been questioned on it by someone else.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 20 August 2019 at 9:10AM
    Probably not the wisest thing to do tbh, you may have been questioned on it by someone else.

Like who?
    If the airline don’t ask and US immigration don’t ask, who else is going to?

Years ago pre-ESTA, and when ESTA was first introduced and was voluntary and free of charge, you used to have to fill in a landing card on the plane which asked about where you were staying but that’s obsolete now.

Actually, this visit (I’m currently in Boston) we didn’t have to fill in customs forms either.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • bradders1983
    Like who?

Erm, a different person at immigration? Maybe one of them is having a bad day, or is extremely anal? You may have had a very different experience in the queue to your left or right.

Not worth the risk, just put an address down.
  • jackieblack
    Erm, a different person at immigration? Maybe one of them is having a bad day, or is extremely anal? You may have had a very different experience in the queue to your left or right.

Not worth the risk, just put an address down.

I take your point, however I’m just reporting my experience.
    And although I had to see a human at immigration this time (new passport) this is the first time in several years I’ve had to do so, and the automated kiosks don’t have bad days.

If I remember maybe I’ll update next time, but my experience is that it’s not necessary.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
  • bradders1983
    I take your point, however I’m just reporting my experience.
    And although I had to see a human at immigration this time (new passport) this is the first time in several years I’ve had to do so, and the automated kiosks don’t have bad days.

Very true, but they may not have discretion when the address field states "unknown" and may refer you to an unforgiving human :beer:
  • Like who?

Years ago pre-ESTA, and when ESTA was first introduced and was voluntary and free of charge, you used to have to fill in a landing card on the plane which asked about where you were staying but that’s obsolete now.

Actually, this visit (I’m currently in Boston) we didn’t have to fill in customs forms either.

Since when are customs forms optional?

I flew to New York on Thursday and filled mine in on the plane...

US Government site says you have to fill it in? https://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-cbp/traveler-entry-form

That form asks for your address etc.
  • jackieblack
    edited 21 August 2019 at 11:34AM
    Since when are customs forms optional?

US Government site says you have to fill it in? https://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-cbp/traveler-entry-form

That form asks for your address etc.

This is the first time I haven’t had to do one, I was expecting to have to fill one in but the pilot made an announcement on the plane and said that they wouldn’t be required and no-one at Logan asked for them when we landed. It wasn’t optional, it just wasn’t required- no idea why.
  • Since when are customs forms optional?

If you are entering the USA under the visa waiver program and you use one of the automated self service kiosks then the paper customs forms are not required as the declaration is done when you enter your info at the machine.
    It's even better in some airports now.
    When arriving in Orlando on certain flights, you go to the immigration desk then unless you get pulled for a spot check or you opt to go and speak to a customs official, you simply pick up your suitcase and walk straight out of the secure area without having to make any declaration.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    You only don't fill customs forms in if there is a kiosk in the arrival airport terminal as you do the same questions on the screen.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • You only don't fill customs forms in if there is a kiosk in the arrival airport terminal as you do the same questions on the screen.

When arriving at Orlando International on a BA flight and you are seeking entry on the visa waiver program, you don't have to fill in a paper customs form and you don't have to use an automated kiosk to get through immigration.
    If you have anything to declare then unless you are picked out for a spot check, you don't even get to speak to a customs official.

I've been through MCO twice in the past 6 weeks and on both occasions, I didn't have to fill out any forms or use the automated kiosks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure