Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun88
    • By Sun88 7th Aug 19, 1:34 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sun88
    Starling Bank opinions...
    • 7th Aug 19, 1:34 AM
    Starling Bank opinions... 7th Aug 19 at 1:34 AM
    Hi everyone,

New member to MSE, though I have read posts via Google many times in the past.

Anyway, I recently signed up to Starling Bank as I love going on holiday as often as possible and have been seduced by their fee free usage abroad. This has really excited me and Iím looking forward to receiving my card. However...

This evening Iíve been sitting reading reviews for Starling on Facebook and Trust Pilot etc, and there are countless negative reviews stating that they have had their accounts frozen and donít have access to their money. Iím just wondering if any of you have experienced this??

I have a trip to Paris coming up in a few weeks and have saved a nice wedge to enjoy myself over there - obviously Iím wanting to transfer this money over to Starling and take advantage of their amazing fee free usage abroad. Reading all of these negative reviews has filled me with fear, as I really donít want to lose access to my holiday spending money - or any money for that matter!

Can anyone share their Starling experiences please?
Page 1
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 7th Aug 19, 4:42 AM
    • 4,767 Posts
    • 15,381 Thanks
    Westie983
    • 7th Aug 19, 4:42 AM
    • 7th Aug 19, 4:42 AM
    Hi Sun88,

Lots of posts on here about starling if you use the search button you can narrow down.

I have starling and Monzo accounts and haven't had any issues with either to be honest I like having the app access for easy transfer and seeing what the conversion is before my statement like other banks do.

Any questions please ask

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2019 #42 Total (£16000)+£1550/£12000 = 12.91%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 12 #97 Total (£450)+£55/£500 = 11.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2019 £1 a Day #20 Total (£165)+£100/£365 = 27.39%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£1300)+£400/£1000 = 40.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (£1030)+£0/£2000 = 0.0%

Total £2055.00/£15865 = 12.95%
    I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Sun88
    • By Sun88 7th Aug 19, 4:51 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sun88
    • 7th Aug 19, 4:51 AM
    • 7th Aug 19, 4:51 AM
    Thanks, I’m glad you’ve had a good experience with them.

I had run a search before this, but nothing came up which seemed to address the issues like I mentioned.
    • scgf
    • By scgf 7th Aug 19, 7:15 AM
    • 473 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    scgf
    • 7th Aug 19, 7:15 AM
    • 7th Aug 19, 7:15 AM
    I've posted before about how I am not keen on running my bank account only through an app and also I really dislike how they post pending transactions as if they were cleared. The latter drove me mad when I was trying to reconcile my account. I much prefer a bank which shows pending transactions in a different list.
    • Prism
    • By Prism 7th Aug 19, 7:23 AM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 825 Thanks
    Prism
    • 7th Aug 19, 7:23 AM
    • 7th Aug 19, 7:23 AM
    I use Starling for my business and also have a personal account I use for holidays for the no fee exchange rates. I have had no problems at all with the service and have used my personal account on two holidays without issue. You get a notification immediately of how much in pounds you have spent when you make another currency transaction or withdraw money.
    As an aside, it seems that the cash machines are getting even more insistent that they do the money conversion for you rather than your bank. I had to press 'no' at least 4 times on a cash machine while Spain last month.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 7th Aug 19, 7:34 AM
    • 34,895 Posts
    • 22,091 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 7th Aug 19, 7:34 AM
    • 7th Aug 19, 7:34 AM
    Ive got both and had no issues like you describe OP but I havent used them abroad yet but will be.

Id take a second or even third means of payment if there is an issue with Starling.
    • penners324
    • By penners324 7th Aug 19, 7:39 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    penners324
    • 7th Aug 19, 7:39 AM
    • 7th Aug 19, 7:39 AM
    About 99.99% of negative reviews on trustpilot and elsewhere are from money launderers. So Starling bank have rightly frozen their accounts.

I've used Starling to go to Sri Lanka and didn't have a problem.
    If you're that concerned only transfer over what you need for a day or 2, then transfer again a day or 2 later.
    • grumiofoundation
    • By grumiofoundation 7th Aug 19, 7:43 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    grumiofoundation
    • 7th Aug 19, 7:43 AM
    • 7th Aug 19, 7:43 AM
    Have never had any issues with starling when using (abroad or UK). Agree with the above poster you have to watch out for cash machines trying to do the conversion for you (Spain as well...!)

If you are worried about losing access to the money make sure you have another account with accessible money, whether debit or credit card.

P. S. Don't forget generally no-one bothers to review their bank until something goes wrong.
    • PRAISETHESUN
    • By PRAISETHESUN 7th Aug 19, 7:48 AM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    PRAISETHESUN
    • 7th Aug 19, 7:48 AM
    • 7th Aug 19, 7:48 AM
    I find with review sites that Trust Pilot that they are swamped with negative reviews for everything - people are more than happy to complain when things go wrong, but there isn't really a reason to praise them when things go right. That said, I've been using Starling for a while now and I haven't had any issues with them. Granted I don't use them for my day to day banking, but the one time I've had to dispute transaction they were very quick to sort it out.
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 7th Aug 19, 9:07 AM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 1,925 Thanks
    Vortigern
    I've had no problems with Starling. Used it in Singapore and Australia for cash withdrawals.
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 7th Aug 19, 9:08 AM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 1,148 Thanks
    sal_III
    Can't comment on TrustPilot reviews, as I don't bother checking anything on that platform, that is swamped with paid for reviews so essentially useless for forming an opinion.

I put my trust in MSE and I can't recall anyone complaining about frozen account with Starling, while posts for frozen accounts with high street banks are daily occurrences.

No matter if it's Starling or other bank personally I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket, so I have a Halifax clarity CC as a backup and for car hire depots etc. in addition to the Starling debit card for holidays.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 7th Aug 19, 9:55 AM
    • 5,419 Posts
    • 7,416 Thanks
    ColdIron
    I used my Starling card for ATM withdrawals (CC for spending) last November up and down Vietnam and Thailand. No problem at all. I don't use it for day to day banking but the 0.50% interest is a nice touch

I view Trustpilot and Facebook as unreliable sources of information and suggest you do the same
    • Paul_01
    • By Paul_01 7th Aug 19, 12:35 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Paul_01
    I have both personal and business accounts with Starling. No problems whatsoever. I use my personal account abroad for the fee free conversion, never had an issue.

I would highly recommend.
    • Highland76
    • By Highland76 7th Aug 19, 7:16 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    Highland76
    Do Starling bank support still pick up the phone in the evenings or at busy times? Last time i had to call them, mid-week around 7pm (albeit a few months ago) I was put through an answer machine, asking me to leave a message. Doesn't sound very professional for a bank...
    • IvanDP
    • By IvanDP 18th Aug 19, 8:47 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    IvanDP
    From my personal experience, take your Starling card and don't worry.
    As others have said though, just take a back up just in case.
    (Starling used for purchases, ATM withdrawals and online transactions whilst on a 3 week trip across Russia with no issues whatsoever)
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 18th Aug 19, 8:55 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    pramsay13
    It's good practice to have more than one option anyway in case something goes wrong.

I spent a year abroad and mainly used Starling.

There were a few minor issues so I used either Monzo or Halifax Clarity.
    • vic09
    • By vic09 22nd Aug 19, 10:00 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    vic09
    I travel abroad a lot for work and I've used Starling several times in Paris and also in some Middle Eastern/African/North American countries. It's never been declined and I think the rates are fair. You should be fine.
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 23rd Aug 19, 1:42 PM
    • 2,773 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    anotheruser
    Just moved my current account to Starling after fun and games with the TSB app intermittently working.

The only thing that kept me with TSB was the interest but as that's now dropped, I'd like to give Starling a go.
    It's only a holding account for salary though. I use my joint account for most purchases.
    • class2ldn
    • By class2ldn 23rd Aug 19, 8:48 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    class2ldn
    We are going to cape Verde in october so was looking at starling but we have a flexplus account with nationwide so I guess it makes sense just to use that as they charge no fees now?
    • Yellow_mango
    • By Yellow_mango 23rd Aug 19, 8:58 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    Yellow_mango
    I used mine for a recent trip to France. It worked perfectly across a wide number of locations, outlets and cash machines. It was however declined for a couple of toll road transactions.

I always carry a back up card (or several) regardless, so no problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,607Posts Today

5,569Users online

Martin's Twitter