Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • johnsmith1890
    • By johnsmith1890 5th Jul 19, 4:29 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    johnsmith1890
    MBNA - trusted device in addition to other options (I guess because they are now part of Lloyds). I can verify this as a result of logging on yesterday and being asked to nominate my current device as 'trusted'. I wonder how many devices you can nominate as trusted, or if indeed there is a limit? Also, I'm unclear whether 'trusted' relates both to online shopping and to accessing the MBNA service online. I suspect just the latter, but it would be good if it covered the former as well.

Edit: just checked the website. Trusted device only applies to online servicing
    Last edited by johnsmith1890; 05-07-2019 at 4:32 PM. Reason: Add further info
    • Mrsn
    • By Mrsn 5th Jul 19, 4:45 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    Mrsn
    The last few times I’ve made a purchase with my NatWest debit card it’s advised me that it will be changing the way it authorises payments. I don’t mind extra security but I do have an issue with a OTP sent to my mobile mainly because I live in a rural village where the mobile signal is limited.... not very convenient for paying for something related to school’s for example whilst at home.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 5th Jul 19, 5:25 PM
    • 11,119 Posts
    • 13,759 Thanks
    eskbanker
    The last few times Iíve made a purchase with my NatWest debit card itís advised me that it will be changing the way it authorises payments. I donít mind extra security but I do have an issue with a OTP sent to my mobile mainly because I live in a rural village where the mobile signal is limited.... not very convenient for paying for something related to schoolís for example whilst at home.
    Originally posted by Mrsn
    Fortunately they offer alternative methods of authentication, as per post #1 and the links from it....
    • colsten
    • By colsten 5th Jul 19, 6:09 PM
    • 10,853 Posts
    • 10,077 Thanks
    colsten
    HSBC, M&S and FD its currently a secure key device NOT a card reader. Can also use digital secure key. Its optional for logging in at the moment and only required for adding payees etc currently. Must use this to log in from 5th September.
    Originally posted by SuiDreams
    HSBC and FD also have a digital version of the secure key, which is working great for me. I sincerely hope they'll implement this for M&S, too, as I absolutely hate the physical thing.
    • Radnorsaver
    • By Radnorsaver 5th Jul 19, 6:20 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Radnorsaver
    Look at the thread "santander changes" and the last item from radnorsaver.
    Santander do not have any alternative to OTP via mobile phone.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 5th Jul 19, 6:20 PM
    • 10,853 Posts
    • 10,077 Thanks
    colsten
    Barclays have a card reader that essentially works like the Nationwide / Natwest one although it looks a little different. They call it PINSENTRY. They also have a mobile PINSENTRY version, integrated with their banking app, which eliminates the need for the card reader. PINSENTRY login is an option for logging into online banking. I don't know what their plans are for September but would expect they will build on the mobile PINSENTRY.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 5th Jul 19, 6:21 PM
    • 2,088 Posts
    • 2,428 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    Virgin are doing something like the one time pass code as they have asked for mobile number to be added / updated to the profile.

I've checked through my emails but can't find any info, I've gone online and it's only referenced for their CC, which I don't have, but I know it was in relation to their current account.

Will see if I still have one of the letters.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 5th Jul 19, 6:24 PM
    • 10,853 Posts
    • 10,077 Thanks
    colsten
    @eskbanker: M&S don't have a digital version of the secure key at present.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 5th Jul 19, 6:31 PM
    • 11,119 Posts
    • 13,759 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Look at the thread "santander changes" and the last item from radnorsaver.
    Santander do not have any alternative to OTP via mobile phone.
    Originally posted by Radnorsaver
    Sorry, I don't get your point - on that thread they said to you that you have a choice of using OTP to a mobile or their app, which is consistent with what they publish on their site and what I've summarised in post #1?
    • Radnorsaver
    • By Radnorsaver 5th Jul 19, 7:03 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Radnorsaver
    Ok - sorry that was confusing. I was making the point that there is no alternative to using a mobile phone, one way or another.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 5th Jul 19, 7:28 PM
    • 11,119 Posts
    • 13,759 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Ok - sorry that was confusing. I was making the point that there is no alternative to using a mobile phone, one way or another.
    Originally posted by Radnorsaver
    But the app can be used on a tablet (or phone) connected to the internet via wi-fi, etc, for those without a mobile signal? Not trying to defend them here btw and the changes obviously disadvantage many, just observing that a mobile signal isn't quite the be-all and end-all....
    • Migster
    • By Migster 5th Jul 19, 7:52 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Migster
    The September deadline is somewhat up in the air at the moment, at least for e-commerce card payments.

There are three elements to authentication under SCA and the banks must use two of them. The three elements are a) something you are, b) something you possess and c) something you know.

Up until recently, it was assumed that an OTP would count as something you know, but the EBA recently threw a spanner in the works by stating that this was not the case.

In response to this the FCA had the following to say:

ďÖthe FCA recognises the challenges in meeting this deadline and has been working with the industry to develop a plan to migrate the industry to implement SCA for card payments in e-commerce as soon as possible after thisĒ.

If you google ďEBA SCA opinionĒ youíll find more details, though be warned, itís not the most exciting read.
    • londoninvestor
    • By londoninvestor 5th Jul 19, 8:42 PM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    londoninvestor
    I think Metro bank are using a OTP to a mobile phone based on this webpage:
    https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/ways-to-bank/i-want-some-information-about/fraud-and-security/
    Originally posted by lr1277
    Yes for setting up payees; not (yet) for logging into online banking.
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 5th Jul 19, 8:58 PM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    Herbalus
    Not sure how extensive you want the list to be, but tandem credit cards are already using an OTP to mobile when making purchases online.

But given it’s app only, everybody who has it will by definition have a mobile so won’t be a barrier.
    • brianposter
    • By brianposter 5th Jul 19, 9:38 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    brianposter
    The September deadline is somewhat up in the air at the moment, at least for e-commerce card payments.
    Originally posted by Migster
    Already had my HSBC cards fail repeatedly for online purchases.
    The banks appear to be being particularly incompetent in implementing these measures - sending passcodes to fixed line phones doesn't appear to be especially difficult.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 5th Jul 19, 11:28 PM
    • 11,119 Posts
    • 13,759 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Not sure how extensive you want the list to be, but tandem credit cards are already using an OTP to mobile when making purchases online.
    Originally posted by Herbalus
    Happy to add info in if supported by a link?
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 6th Jul 19, 6:45 AM
    • 20,315 Posts
    • 47,109 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Does this also apply to eg Monzo, Starling or is it desktop banking they are targeting?
    Originally posted by 18cc
    Two factor authentication involves:My understanding is that an app is considered to be the middle of these and therefore, if combined with passwords/PINs, etc, satisfies the requirement, hence the use of apps as a second factor for non-app banks.

So, app-only banks, assuming they also require the use of something the user knows (or is, such as fingerprint/facial recognition), shouldn't need any additional securing.

Happy to be corrected though, I'm not claiming to be an expert!
    Originally posted by eskbanker

Monzo already use OTP.

Although they seem to be pretty good at recognising spending patterns and will auto authorise transactions from retailers you've already used an OTP for a few times.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 6th Jul 19, 7:27 AM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    Herbalus
    Happy to add info in if supported by a link?
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Probably doesnít make the cut for authoritative info on here from the FAQs looking like a community blog https://intercom.help/tandembank/en/articles/1978234-online-purchases

But the first 3 transactions Iíve done online (Iíve only just got the card) have all sent a passcode to my mobile.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 6th Jul 19, 9:38 AM
    • 2,088 Posts
    • 2,428 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    Can't find the virgin letter eskbanker, but will come back if I get any more information.
    • Radnorsaver
    • By Radnorsaver 6th Jul 19, 3:58 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Radnorsaver
    Capital One (capitalone.co.uk) credit cards will send OTP to EITHER mobile or landline, which is fine. Why can't others do it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

19Posts Today

3,696Users online

Martin's Twitter