PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

Comments

• Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I store red lentils and green and yellow split peas as dried pulses; because red lentils cook very quickly (so do split peas in the pressure cooker, either with a ham hock or bacon ribs or as a dal). I store butter beans and red kidney beans in tins, and like GQ have glass jars of the broad beans which have always given us a really good harvest on the allotment.
    If red lentils were unobtainable I would miss them, but peas can easily be grown in this country and are very easy to dry. The only reason I do t dry our own us because we love them young and fresh so never have enough left to dry:o
  • ...and I can't currently eat any peas, beans or other pulses at all! Temporarily, I hope; I'm back on a low-residue diet, which I'm not enjoying at all, but hopefully the need will pass soon.

I'm a bit dismayed that our stocks have been run down a bit whilst I've been out of action but hopefully I'll get a chance to build them back up again before - whatever happens at the end of March! It is a good chance to work out what we are currently using, anyway.
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Are broad beans those gruesome beigey pale yellow flat things? They taste like cardboard. The very thought is making me ill. Yukk!!
  • No they're big oval green things, bigger than butter beans and have a black partial stripe around some of the circumference where they attach to the pod. They taste like broad beans and there's nothing else I know of that tastes quite like them. We love them!
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    mardatha wrote: »
    Are broad beans those gruesome beigey pale yellow flat things? They taste like cardboard. The very thought is making me ill. Yukk!!

I think that is dried butter beans you are thinking of. My mum used to use then to line a pastry so it wouldn't rise. Raw pastry greaseproof paper then loads of dried butter beans. She kept them in a big jar and they were not for eating. I grow broad beans they are about the easiest thing to grow and great to add to soups.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Seconding Mrs LW and grunnie. I've stopped buying dried butter beans - during the overnight soaking, the skin always comes off, as it doesn't with any other beans, and it takes a *long* time to go through the whole batch pulling and disposing. It's perfectly edible, of course, and could be whizzed up to make soup, but floating around on its own in a bean stew etc is just unappealing to me :)

Tinned butter beans, otoh, are lurvely for me :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    peasant food but most tasty.

Often the way!

The weather today is a bit rough - for the pedestrian, snow is OK, snow on snow is manageable, but snow on ice is a right tricky combination.

If you have to drive, leave yourself all the time you need & give yourself permission to think "No" midway & turn back.
  • Today in Morrissons I found packets of dried onion and dried country vegetables at 54p a pack. About the size of a packet of stuffing and not weighing much but at that price a couple of packs of each have gone into my preps cupboard for when all the fresh, frozen and canned are used up, with a couple of stock cubes and some herbs they'll make soup if we need something hot.
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've not seen the dried onions and veg in our Morrison's, will have a good look tomorrow.

We love broad beans, when they're really too old I cook them anyway and we pop them out of their skins and eat them with parsley sauce, mashed potatoes and ham hocks. I'm a real 1950s cook at times:)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) I've always found broad beans to be a Marmite vegetable, people have strong opinions about them and either love 'em or loathe 'em.

F'rinstance, if you have a glut of french or runner beans and offer them about, folk will virtually rip your hand off in the hurry to get some. Try offering broad beans and you're as likely to be met with a curled lip and a no thanks.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills