So now I have a solar PV system how do I make the most of it???

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    The above may be be true, however don0301 is correct when he points out that the title of this thread is:
    So now I have a solar PV system how do I make the most of it???

Maybe those who want to have a debate on the rights/wrongs of the FIT and the merits, or otherwise, of solar generation in general could consider starting another thread rather than continuing to hijack this one?

And maybe those people who only want to tell those of us who have already installed solar pv systems how stupid/greedy/evil/ill-informed etc we all are could just accept that we have made our decision already (and, whether you agree with it or not, please respect that we are all entitled do so) and are not going to turn back time and remove those systems now, so berating us at this point is totally pointless.

Please could we have this thread back for the purpose for which it was started, 53 pages ago? :)

A very fair point - this thread's now so full of constantly-repeated dross that it's pretty much useless for its original purpose. :T
  • Doc_N wrote: »
    A very fair point - this thread's now so full of constantly-repeated dross that it's pretty much useless for its original purpose. :T

Yes, let's stop the debating on whether the FITs should / should not have been set to such a high level or whether they should have been reduced earlier. Get back to the thread topic and have a reasoned discussion on how to make the best of a PV system.

Davfe F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • don0301
    don0301 Posts: 442 Forumite
    @jackieblack and doc n

im glad im not the only one
  • so , we`ve established that *some* people think roof top solar is a pants idea , rip them all down and build big terrawatt installations of a bazillion panels covering france (a good idea - move the french to somewhere else - like gitmo);

some *other* people think that the roof top panels they have are all nice and cozy and are earning them 10% - sorry i cant hear you over the sound of just how awesome i am..... green? oh yes thats involved somewhere in all the `ker ching`

in the middle is everyone else who are the have nots or want nots - they either cant have them because of some reason (renting usually) or they have about 1/2 inch of roof soace... or they cba with the whole idea and want petrol to be cheaper...

back to the OP

use the power when its sunny , do the clothes washing , use the tumle dryer, do hoovering etc etc.....
  • don0301
    don0301 Posts: 442 Forumite
    some *other* people think that the roof top panels they have are all nice and cozy and are earning them 10% - sorry i cant hear you over the sound of just how awesome i am..... green? oh yes thats involved somewhere in all the `ker ching`

so having solar panels isnt greener than not having them?
  • albyota
    albyota Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    edited 14 January 2012 at 12:05AM
    To give an idea of how accurate or not these different PV calculators are, here is the following projected annual output for a 3.04kWp south facing 45 degree pitch system in the Midlands.

SAP 2005 = 2,534 kwh/yr
    SAP 2009 = 2,610 kWh/yr
    Energy Saving Trust = 2,535 kWh/yr
    PVGIS = 2,700 kWh/yr

So my 2,290 kWh to date since 1st May 2011, this system still has another 3+ months to go for a complete year.....possibly another 600 ish kWh's according to PVGIS
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Please could we have this thread back for the purpose for which it was started, 53 pages ago? :)

Fair point!

There are other threads to discuss the future direction of FIT.

Incidentally nobody, certainly not I, is criticising people for taking advantage of the FIT system.
  • albyota
    albyota Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    My lights just went out!!!! :eek:

The house lights are connected via a Maplin 600 Watt PSW inverter to a car battery that is charged through the daytime from a standard car battery charger, making use of unused PV excess. At night, the lights (all CFL's & LED) will run for about four and a half hours, problem is, I haven't got round to switching it all through a relay to switch back to mains on low battery, another job for the weekend. ;)

AL
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    albyota wrote: »
    To give an idea of how accurate or not these different PV calculators are, here is the following projected annual output for a 3.04kWp south facing 45 degree pitch system in the Midlands.

SAP 2005 = 2,534 kwh/yr
    SAP 2009 = 2,610 kWh/yr
    Energy Saving Trust = 2,535 kWh/yr
    PVGIS = 2,700 kWh/yr

So my 2,290 kWh to date since 1st May 2011, this system still has another 3+ months to go for a complete year.....possibly another 600 ish kWh's according to PVGIS

My system is ESE in Cardiff, 3.6kWp at 27deg (actually 2 systems 2.4 at 30deg and 1.2 at 20deg).

I've found the quick calculators pretty good, but living 1 solar region better than the average means they are a little pessimistic. Not a bad thing really. PVGIS is better, but it wasn't till I was told to adjust the system losses default from 14% to 10% that things got really interesting. Estimated annual - 2,872kWh's.

Only 5 months old, but here are the estimated and actuals:

Aug E 351 A 330 (actually surprised it was so high given the poor weather in August)
    Sep E 254 A 253
    Oct E 156 A 176
    Nov E 87 A 76
    Dec E 53 A 54
    Totals E 901 A 889

If you're a sad number junkie like me, this stuff can be quite good fun.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry to post straight away again, but thought this might be of interest too.

A friend has had a system since Aug 2010. Last October he was analysing his first years generation (which was within 1% of estimate). He has a backwards running meter, so he's able to see exactly how generation and consumption interact.

Note: the company do know it goes backwards, and are planning to replace (he's not looking forward to the bill!).

Due to several reasons, including some medical, his household had a very high consumption of approx 10,000 units. After PV, the readings fell by generation +800. He was surprised and asked me for ideas regarding that 800.

Given his electrical engineering background, I didn't go down that route. So all that was left, was awareness. He agreed, but was surprised as he took it so seriously before PV, and had 3 energy monitors already.

So, possibly, by thinking about energy on a daily basis, he may have reduced his consumption by a further 8% (800/10,000). Meter due for replacement, and one son left for college in September, so he won't be able to compare like for like again, but interesting situation.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback