Advice on new combi boiler

Comments

• Ciprico
    Ciprico Posts: 553 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I just had a Smart meter installed and the installer condemned my old boiler and capped the gas supply, for safety reasons...

...bit of the surprise as the boiler was "old" when we moved here 20 years ago and hasn't missed a beat.

...so I too am a I'm a little disappointed after reading 3 pages of good info that there was no conclusion to this posting....
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    123mat123 wrote: »
    ...so I too am a I'm a little disappointed after reading 3 pages of good info that there was no conclusion to this posting....

Apologies to all as I really should have returned to update this and did intend to do so. However I've been in Canada for almost 4 weeks and not long back so have been catching up on other things.

In the end I chose the Atag Economiser 35 with the Atag One controller. The controller has been updated slightly and is now called Atag Zone controller so useful for anyone with more than one zone.

The boiler has been working as expected but obviously I cannot get a totally true picture of it due to it being Summer. It's very quiet although not that that was a consideration as it's in the garage.

The Atag controller was easy to set up and does exactly what it is meant to. System diagnostics allow me to see at a glance what's happening through the app.

The weather controller is doing what is expected of it with the return flow mostly in the 20 degree mark at this time of year. On the very odd occasion it has come on, the radiators are lukewarm as expected just now.

So all in all I'm pleased with it so far. I will get a better picture once we get into Winter and will try to update again then.
  • Space_Captain
    Space_Captain Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 August 2019 at 7:24AM
    I'm fed up with paying £38 a month for boiler cover from British Gas and although we have used the cover quite a lot it last needed repairing about 4 years ago. I also know my Halstead Combi is nearly 15 years old and probably not very Eco friendly.

Should I cancel the cover and wait for it to break down then get a new one fitted ? And the new one being a Viessmann or Atag looking at the comments on here.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Should I cancel the cover and wait for it to break down then get a new one fitted ? And the new one being a Viessmann or Atag looking at the comments on here.

I'm not sure that is a question that anyone can reasonably answer. Obviously if it breaks down, then you will have no heating/hot water till it's replaced. If that's during Winter it might take a while. It's up to you if you want to take that chance.

However £38pm seems very high. I was paying £25pm for my almost 20 year old Vokera and that had only jumped October 2018 from £20 to £25. It was at that point that I decided to get it replaced this Spring/Summer before another Winter.
  • I found HomeSage had quite a useful resource - they have put together a ranking table of the best combi boilers looking at things like efficiency, cost to run, Trustpilot rating etc
  • ButtersUK
    ButtersUK Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Dogmesia said:
    I found HomeSage had quite a useful resource - they have put together a ranking table of the best combi boilers looking at things like efficiency, cost to run, Trustpilot rating etc

One wonders if Dogmesia has anything to do with Homesage? 

You've only made the one contribution  .... do you have any sort of association with them, Dogmesia?   An honest yes or no will suffice.

• smjxm09
    smjxm09 Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Looking at the latest reviews one of the big complaints is that Worcester Bosch use cheaper aluminium heat exchangers rather than stainless steel and the boilers are full of plastic parts rather than brass.    Worth a look at Baxi 600 or 800 boilers.
  • We have a Worcester Bosch condensing boiler (approx. 3 yrs old) and a CENTRE thermostat. The thermostat, in the cold weather, is set between 21 & 23 and the heating is on all day, as we are both at home. Our boiler is in our attached garage, but is located on the outside wall.  We are very frustrated with the length of time the hot water takes to come through, in the kitchen and bathroom. I should point out that the boiler is set on ECO. Opinions would be appreciated. 
  • I found it really hard to find the right boiler without spending hours reading online, and who wants to read about boilers? In the end, I found a boiler comparison tool on a boiler site called Warmzilla. You can compare all the key stats of different boilers against each other, which is really helpful.

They have ATAG on there and they were the highest rated boilers. Apparently ATAG is the choice of boiler for people who know boilers, so well done OP. They are a bit more expensive though.
  • Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,163 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had two Atag boilers in succession in my last house, starting in 1998.  They were streets ahead of the competition in then as they were modulating condensing boilers with both load compensation and weather compensation.  However I had to search quite hard to find a service engineer in my area.
    Reed
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure