Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Homeboy 1
    • By Homeboy 1 21st Aug 19, 7:33 PM
    • 87Posts
    • 25Thanks
    Homeboy 1
    Nationwide Flexplus Account
    • 21st Aug 19, 7:33 PM
    Nationwide Flexplus Account 21st Aug 19 at 7:33 PM
    Hi, I need some advice on this account please. I have a Flexplus joint account with my wife for the travel, breakdown and phone insurance. We have got one regular saver each, with two more deposits to be made. We have also got a Flexdirect account each, with which we transfer the 1000 a month into each, transfer 250 into the monthly saver, and then transfer the other 750 plus any interest back to my main current account. (Not with Nationwide) With the interest rates now being stopped on the Flexplus account, do we still need to keep open our Flexdirect accounts, or are we better off leaving the Flexdirect accounts open,with say 1 in each, so that we can transfer the 1000 per month in and out of these accounts. We can't remember if we need to have Flexdirect account to get the Flexplus account. Any help much appreciated
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 21st Aug 19, 7:35 PM
    • 6,263 Posts
    • 4,160 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 21st Aug 19, 7:35 PM
    • 21st Aug 19, 7:35 PM
    FlexDirect and FlexPlus are 2 different accounts.
    They are not dependant on each other.
    • class2ldn
    • By class2ldn 22nd Aug 19, 5:34 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    class2ldn
    • 22nd Aug 19, 5:34 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 5:34 PM
    We've got a flexplus account and not sure what to do now they are removing the interest reward.
    I still think 13 quid a month for the insurance is pretty good so thinking of maybe keeping it open but opening an account that pays some decent interest , obviously won't be able to switch.
    Other option is switch the account and then reopen it again but I assume theres a time limit on that?
    • PRAISETHESUN
    • By PRAISETHESUN 23rd Aug 19, 11:21 AM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    PRAISETHESUN
    • 23rd Aug 19, 11:21 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 11:21 AM
    The FlexPlus account may still be a good deal as a joint account (since both named account holders will get all the benefits for a single monthly fee) but only you can decide what works for your circumstances. WRT to FlexDirect, there is no requirement to keep your FlexDirect account open to have access to your FlexPlus account. You need at least one of either FlexDirect/Flex Plus open to keep access to the Regular saver though, so make sure you don't close down everything! Keeping at least one of these open in each of your names (doesn't even need to have a balance, just as long as the minimum pay in is met) will be sufficient to keep the regular saver open.
    • PRAISETHESUN
    • By PRAISETHESUN 23rd Aug 19, 11:22 AM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    PRAISETHESUN
    • 23rd Aug 19, 11:22 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 11:22 AM
    We've got a flexplus account and not sure what to do now they are removing the interest reward.
    I still think 13 quid a month for the insurance is pretty good so thinking of maybe keeping it open but opening an account that pays some decent interest , obviously won't be able to switch.
    Other option is switch the account and then reopen it again but I assume theres a time limit on that?
    Originally posted by class2ldn
    I'd open a second account with Nationwide (FlexDirect/FlexAccount) and then switch that instead of switching your main account - there is always a chance that Nationwide may refuse to let you open a FlexPlus account again.
    • Homeboy 1
    • By Homeboy 1 23rd Aug 19, 1:32 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Homeboy 1
    • 23rd Aug 19, 1:32 PM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 1:32 PM
    Thank you for your reply Praisethesun. Exactly the reply I was looking for. We will keep the Flexplus as it covers both of us for what we need. we have a Flexdirect each and also a regular saver which has got two more payments to go into it. We will just keep the Flexplus and close the others.
    Last edited by Homeboy 1; 23-08-2019 at 1:43 PM. Reason: just added further reply
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,223Posts Today

5,968Users online

Martin's Twitter