Wait out this debt situation, or address it now?

Hi all,

Myself and my partner are in a predicament and I'm hoping I'll be able to get some advice.
We made some silly mistakes with money in our early twenties when we first moved out and into rented accommodation, and now we are really paying for it in our late twenties. Our debt is around £20k. It feels like we've been worrying about debt for most of our twenties, and whilst we only have ourselves to blame we are now finding it pretty all consuming :(

We have a baby and are currently living with my parents after relocating, I am yet to go back to work so we are currently living on just my partners wage and even paying a much reduced rent to my parents we are struggling to keep on top of debt repayments whilst having enough to live - we aren't frivolous, just money for basic living and to keep us sane. I am hoping to go back to work soon but it is hard as where I am located is quite remote and I can't drive, so I have to find jobs that are on the bus route of which there aren't many. As well as this, nursery fees are so high that they pretty much cancel out any wages, especially once you take into account the bus fare. Once we can get to move out again this will change as we will be more central with more job choice and better bus routes, but we aren't anywhere near being able to afford to move back out yet. We aren't entitled to any benefits apart from child benefit, and it sometimes makes me feel jealous of people with council houses and benefits that they get so much help for not doing much (not everybody but some!) When my partner has trained for 6 years to do what he does and works long hours, 10 years into the job and we can get no help when we are struggling to live on one wage. Even without the debts we would be struggling to run a house with a young baby, even if I were working as the nursery fees basically equal the minimum wage, which is why we had to move into my parent's house.

However I do realise the debt (most in partner's name) is completely our doing and that we've made our bed etc. We do hope to buy a house one day (far off), and for this reason we are trying to preserve my partners credit rating, which has already dropped to the lower end due to late payments etc where we are struggling. He has no defaults or CCJs. My credit rating is poor where I have come to arrangements with my creditors and I have defaults, this goes back a few years now.

My question is, do we just struggle with it a few more years, after which my child will be in nursery (30 free hours once 3) so I can go back to earning a decent wage, our debts also should have reduced significantly by this point (2 years until 2 loans drop off, plus a family loan will have finished, freeing up £750 pm).
Or do we address this now and ask my partner's creditors to enter into arrangements, to ease up the pressure on us now? If our repayments were lower now, we could save to move back out quicker, which would mean I could get back to a decent wage quicker and getting back on top of things. It would mean that our situation would still improve by the 2 year mark as mentioned above, however we would be left with defaults on my partner's credit file for 6 years which we want to avoid because of the (far off) possibility of getting a mortgage in the future.

What would you do? We are both so, so fed up with the worry and stress of all of this, my partner especially. It is the thought of the loans ending that is keeping us going but 2 years seems so far away and so much more time of this stress.

Thanks for reading, sorry for waffling!

Comments

• aimeemum
    aimeemum Posts: 687 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    I think there's a 3rd option here. You talk about not being frivolous but really, have you sat down and looked in detail at your SOA/Budget? How much money do you actually need to live on. While you're living with parents could you take the opportunity to really just thrown every last penny at your debts. Have a look at Dave Ramsey's Baby Steps and other options available to you. Even give stepchange a call and ask them for advice.

The best bit of advice I could give you is to be brutally honest. You've obviously learned your lesson re the debt, but now's the time to work yourself back to where you need to be.

I completely understand the catch 22 of nursery fees, but would you be able to get any help - childcare help through employers, or through tax credits? I know you said you're not eligible for any assistance, but the eligibility criteria for childcare help are a lot less strict. Have a closer look at what's available to you and make sure you're covering all bases before you make any decisions. I didn't go back to work after having my second as it was too expensive.....he's now 7 and I'm still a SAHM!

Good luck :D
    Changing my Family's Future!! - Starting again!!!!
    Current Progress -
    Debt - Start date 31/8/22 = £7,252.78
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
    plus £1000 EF - £0/£1000 = 0%
  • Absolutely what Aimeemum said. Tomorrow may never come - today is the time to grab this and at least start making an effort towards the debts. A large majority of us were stupid with money in our 20s too. The difference between staying that way and getting debt free is learning from those mistakes and facing up to your situation. Don't worry yourself with what other people have (reference to those with council flats etc), instead focus on where you want to be.

Unless your partner is making the absolute bear minimum, there must be some ways you can find extra money in the budget to throw at your debt. Especially since I assume bills/rent have reduced a fair bit now they're being split with parents. Do an SOA and post it, and many will give advice on where you can cut back and have more debt clearing money.

Checking your nursery hours entitlement is a good start to getting back to work. If not, have a search for the surveys/working from home threads on here - you could potentially be making a couple of hundred quid a month to contribute without even having to get on the bus.

Well done for taking the first step!
    Debt Free: 06/03/2020 Highest Debt: £37,514
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    There is an option not requiring childcare. You could get an evening job whilst your OH minds the baby (bar work, supermarket shelf stacking, evening shift etc). I presume as you are living at home the grandparents could handle an hour or so babysitting if work hours clash a little?

Yes, you won't see a lot of each other but it brings an extra wage in to bring the debt down quicker
  • I echo all that has been said above. Do a proper statement of affairs. Sit down and talk with your partner about every penny that goes in and out. Be honest with your parents about the situation you are in. Perhaps you and your parents could take it in turns to meal plan and save money that way. Or they may reduce your rent for more help around the house (not that I'm suggesting you don't help around the house already!)

My number one suggestion though would be simply to look for a job outwith the hours that your partner works. Care work would be my top choice, but bar work and supermarkets are other ideas. These skills will also ensure you can get work wherever you live. Nights and weekends generally pay better too.

Could you learn to drive and then you could borrow your parents car if you were working overnight?

You don't necessarily have to work full time, even 12 hours a week would start knocking another big chunk off your debt.

If I were you, I would stay with your parents until you have got on top of your finances and saved a good emergency fund.

Good luck!
  • Jami74
    Jami74 Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Toodalou wrote: »
    As well as this, nursery fees are so high that they pretty much cancel out any wages, especially once you take into account the bus fare.

I was in a similar position with my first baby, I really wanted to be earning money but paying for a childminder it wasn't financially beneficial. Instead being a SAH parent meant I could sell bits on ebay, shop cleverly and basically spend time money saving. Eventually I got a job working a few night hours. It was really hard but it was a beginning.
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    From a debt advice perspective, we can't advise without seeing the numbers. Can you fill in a statement of affairs? The calculator seems to have moved and is now at

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

Please format for mse

I do not think a consolidation loan will be a sensible option but a debt management plan might be or even a couple of Debt Relief Orders. Whatever strategy you might be looking at taking the hit now, knowing that the credit files will clear in 6 years and so having a longer term plan to house purchase.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure