Lloyds Bank - Blacklisted?

Hi

So basically I have a CCJ and 2 Defaults on my credit file (all fairly old). I have a Lloyds Bank account and they gave me a personalised rate (21.9%) for a personal loan.
Basically I applied, on the off chance and it got referred. Came back declined.
My moms friend works for Lloyds so we gave her a call and she said that their systems say I'm blacklisted? What could that mean? How do you get blacklisted by a bank? Is it because of the CCJ and Defaults? Would imagine they wouldn't even give a personalised quote online if that's the case?

Comments

• You're not blacklisted But you're not meeting their criteria.

You'll need to try somewhere a little less mainstream with a CCJ and two defaults. Or better yet, just save.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi

So basically I have a CCJ and 2 Defaults on my credit file (all fairly old). I have a Lloyds Bank account and they gave me a personalised rate (21.9%) for a personal loan.
    My moms friend works for Lloyds so we gave her a call and she said that their systems say I'm blacklisted? What could that mean? How do you get blacklisted by a bank? Is it because of the CCJ and Defaults? Would imagine they wouldn't even give a personalised quote online if that's the case?

If it's in the last six years you will have simply failed the credit check, there is no blacklist, your risk profile is not one lloyds wants. Other lenders, possibly sub prime, maybe willing to offer you a loan. I really hope no one has accessed any data via a lloyds system to tell your mum that you are blacklisted, it's illegal.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Your 'moms' friend should not have had access to this information.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

That interest rate won't be available to you anywhere with your poor credit history.

The "personalised rate" was not directly offered to you, you were simply invited to apply for it.

Many have found the rate offered on actual application differed from that suggested online or even that the application was declined just as yours was.

In your position, I'd try to avoid taking out a loan unless it's absolutely crucial because only sub prime lenders will take the risk (and with a consequent very high interest rate).

In future, I also wouldn't be asking your Mum's "friend" for advice and information
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi

I doubt your 'moms friend' did any checking.

With a CCJ and two defaults within the past six years it's unlikely you'll get a loan. Provident or Morses Club might take a punt on you.

It's probably best that you don't try to take out any more loans 'on the off chance' for a while.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,600 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I really hope no one has accessed any data via a lloyds system to tell your mum that you are blacklisted, it's illegal.

This! If someone has access to the sort of systems where this type of info is held (if there was such a thing as a blacklist) then using that access for personal queries would be a sackable offence at minimum but also potentially more serious than that.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • glennstar
    glennstar Posts: 282 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My moms friend works for Lloyds so we gave her a call and she said that their systems say I'm blacklisted? What could that mean?

I'd get hold of your mum's friend and ask her what being "blacklisted" means. Whilst you are there get her name and department.

In the mean time have a quick read of this MSE post, specifically about the Data Controller's address at 25 GRESHAM STREET, LONDON, EC2V 7HN.

When she responds;
    1. let us know what being blacklisted means and
    2. pop her name in a brief letter describing the above and send it to the Data Controller.

If any of this is true, which I doubt very much, then this is an outrageous breach which needs to be pursued to the fullest extent.
    The views expressed here are my own. I am not a Solicitor nor am I affiliated with any of the parties I mention. If you disagree with any of my comments please say in whatever way feels most natural to you. No one self improves in a bubble!
  • No it doesn't it means that the applicant does not meet the bank's criteria for the loan using data within the bank and using the CRA's.

Look at the post'' WE'' phoned the bank so we have to assume the applicant agreed (verbally) for the mother to look at stuff.
  • I think it is possible to be blacklisted though. I am blacklisted by NatWest (not RBS though). Natwest reject any application from me before any credit checks. They just need my name and address to determine I do not fit their 'criteria' (aka blacklist).
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    If the OP maintains an account with Lloyds as they claim it is difficult to understand how they can be 'blacklisted' (or equivalent thereof if this term is inaccurate) with Lloyds bank.
    I am assuming that with the ccj and defaults the OP does not currently meet Lloyds lending criteria.The fact that the application was referred rather than immediately declined is a good sign though as they did actually give the request some consideration.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure