PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Royal Mail redirection - is it worth it?

14567810»

Comments

• sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Speak to Royal Mail, I think you can cancel the old redirection early.

I have always done it for 6m, usually the redirected mail dries up around after only 3 months, but for the sake of £20ish quid it's worth going for 6m, 12m is an overkill IMHO

Never had problems with mail going to the old address, fantastic service. The one poster above complaining seems to be the exception.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    pinkteapot wrote: »
    Ditto, although after my most recent move, I'd do it for a shorter time next time. I've always done a year to be on the safe side. This time we had a really good list of companies to contact to update our details, and we only had a small amount of redirected post arrive for 2-3 months. We're moving again soon and I'll only pay for 6 months.

New question - we're likely to move before our previous redirect ends (moving twice in less than a year). Can redirected post get redirected? :eek:

You can do that. However.
    You add another layer of potential issues.
    a redirection getting missed at one point, labels over names etc.
    No idea if you can but perhaps worth calling RM to ask if the original redirection can be updated to your new address on the original property.
    Especially as you are taking out another on your current property
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,817
    Forumite
    OceanSound wrote: »
    Redirect gone haywire again!

From 22 May 2019 up to now I've had 20 letters that have gone to the old address. Nothing has arrived at new address since 22 May 2019.

I contacted RM support on 04 June 2019. A RM Customer services advisor send me a letter on 11th June, saying:

I've just been told by a family member that a couple of letters have arrived at old address. Honestly, you couldn't make it up. Could any other company be so incompetent even if they tried?

AFAIK, the redirects are actually done by the postie on the round and they have stickers for your redirect in their bag and your mail is then put back in the system when they go back to the sorting office.

At this time of year, your regular postie may be on holiday and so the temp wasn't aware or familiar with the redirect in place. The posties on my round are regularly chopping and changing and I often get neighbours post and vv. I've raised a couple of complaints since it's inconvenient and I've missed some important letters in the past which have been delayed this way.

If you're on friendly terms with your buyer, you could leave them with a sheet of stickers with "please redirect …" and your new address and ask if they'd be kind enough to redirect anything that was missed by the RM system.

I moved into my house two and a half years ago where the previous owners wife must have been a habitual catalogue/online shopper as there has been a constant bombardment of small catalogues once their redirect stopped. I always RTS them and the flow is finally slowing.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,000
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Probably been mentioned previously (haven't read whole thread) but one of the problems with the redirect service in my recent experience is the ID proof Royal Mail insist on- photo ID is fine but they also demand recent paid utility statements or bank statements. We're paperless for all our utilities and banking (as are many people now) but they won't accept statements printed from the internet. I went to local PO (at our previous address) to see if anything else would be acceptable but they were adamant. By the time we'd have managed to get our bank to send us hard copy statements (which we'd have had to pay for) we'd already have moved, so we had to leave it. I would also say that the PO lady I spoke to told me that between her and I, the service wasn't great anyhow (and that when she'd moved house she didn't bother with it).
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Forumite
    Skiddaw1 wrote: »
    Probably been mentioned previously (haven't read whole thread) but one of the problems with the redirect service in my recent experience is the ID proof Royal Mail insist on- photo ID is fine but they also demand recent paid utility statements or bank statements. We're paperless for all our utilities and banking (as are many people now) but they won't accept statements printed from the internet. I went to local PO (at our previous address) to see if anything else would be acceptable but they were adamant. By the time we'd have managed to get our bank to send us hard copy statements (which we'd have had to pay for) we'd already have moved, so we had to leave it. I would also say that the PO lady I spoke to told me that between her and I, the service wasn't great anyhow (and that when she'd moved house she didn't bother with it).

Well if the woman in the PO said so.......:rotfl:

Back to reality. Did you not pass the online checks?
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    AFAIK, the redirects are actually done by the postie on the round and they have stickers for your redirect in their bag and your mail is then put back in the system when they go back to the sorting office.

At this time of year, your regular postie may be on holiday and so the temp wasn't aware or familiar with the redirect in place. The posties on my round are regularly chopping and changing and I often get neighbours post and vv. I've raised a couple of complaints since it's inconvenient and I've missed some important letters in the past which have been delayed this way.

If you're on friendly terms with your buyer, you could leave them with a sheet of stickers with "please redirect …" and your new address and ask if they'd be kind enough to redirect anything that was missed by the RM system.

I moved into my house two and a half years ago where the previous owners wife must have been a habitual catalogue/online shopper as there has been a constant bombardment of small catalogues once their redirect stopped. I always RTS them and the flow is finally slowing.
    That can't be it, since it would take at least 2 days round trip and i'm pretty sure I have received dated letters at regular speed 1-2 days.

As for the ID check, I have always done it 100% online, can't remember what proof was required, but never had to visit a branch to start a redirection for sure. Also 99% paperless with the exception of 1 current account each for me and the missus for exact such cases.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,912
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm glad I set up our redirect. Despite writing to Lloyds, then following it up by checking in the local branch that our address had been updated, a 3 months bank statement got sent and redirected with our old address. Went in the bank and they discovered there was a 'correspondence' address field that had our old address in it. We never had the statement sent to anywhere other than our home address so goodness knows why the 'correspondence' address field existed. The bank manager sorted it out, but the word sorry didn't pass his lips.

The other beauty I'm waiting for is HMRC regarding my business VAT change of address. I've had to warn our purchasers that if they got something addressed to Managing Director, old address, that it would be for me and will they send it on. Sure enough, this is what HMRC have done. They haven't put my company name or my name on the letter, yet I can't change my address with them, without receiving the letter. It's a good job I am on good terms with our purchasers.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,000
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    custardy wrote: »
    Well if the woman in the PO said so.......:rotfl:

Back to reality. Did you not pass the online checks?

As I say, they were insistent on original paper ID (paid utility statements or bank statements) which we couldn't provide hence why I visited local branch for advice. I was surprised that they wouldn't accept alternative docs (which we had in plenty- we'd lived at previous address for 20 years) but they were adamant. I tried their on-line query process too and had the same response. Perhaps we just got the wrong people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure