Dementia finances and care

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can offer some help. My mum (aged 72) was diagnosed with Alzheimer's back in June and has declined very rapidly. Luckily I have managed to sort out lasting power of attorney - she now lacks capacity. I'm still trying to navigate my way round the system and have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can answer. Mum lives on her own and has carers in three times a day to help with cooking/tidying/washing. I try and visit twice a week and get all of her shopping as she hardly goes out (she also suffers from severe depression and anxiety).

- I've sorted out attendance allowance (lower rate) and mum's savings are above the threshold for now, so she pays for all of her care. Is there anything else that she is entitled to? I am going to apply for a relief in council tax when I have a spare moment.

- My main aim is to keep my mum at home for as long as possible, partly because it's what she wants and partly because I'm worried that a big change will make her decline further (she has always been adamant that she doesn't want to sell her house to pay for care, but I don't think we will have a choice). I have no idea about care costs + does anyone know of rough costs for live-in carers (we live in outer London) compared to residential care costs? And if this is feasible, when her savings run out, will the council continue to pay for this or force her to move into a home?

Huge thanks in advance to anyone who can advise.

Comments

• Permanent home care i.e 24 hours a day will be more expensive than residential care and it won't be something a council would pay for so she will more than likely have to move into a home in which case she will have to pay for it until she has the minimum amount £18k AFAIK.
    Some difficult decision ahead for you i'm afraid.
  • Thank you. That is what I had assumed, but I am learning to question everything, just to be on the safe side!
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Be wary of taking advice from social services. They either don't know the truth or are not averse to lying. Actually told a friend of mine that her father would have to sell their house to pay for a care home for his wife, leaving him & the friend homeless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure