Ryanair Tips - guide discussion

Comments

• chrismbt wrote: »
    Sometimes the baggage size/check is on entry to the departure lounge, sometimes its at the gate desk where they check your boarding pass.

I usually travel with hand luggage only. If it's to somewhere where I need an overcoat I'll usually put my overcoat on for the check, maybe with a book or tablet and other things I need on the plane in a pocket, and then before getting on the plane, take it off, stuff it in my expanding suitcase/bag. There isn't usually much space to do so on the plane so I've done it in the jetway or stairway before now.

Remember you are allowed to carry one duty-free/airport shopping bag, by law, along with any luggage allowance.

You can only take a bag of goods bought at the airport if you don't take the second piece of hand luggage. It's 2 bags only on boarding.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    chrismbt wrote: »
    Remember you are allowed to carry one duty-free/airport shopping bag, by law, along with any luggage allowance.

Which law is this please?
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    tomtontom wrote: »

Sod's :):)
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    tomtontom wrote: »

I'm fairly certain there's a Spanish law that says that - though obviously that only applies in Spanish airports!

It's definitely not a law in the UK, but several airports I've been through had/have a policy that airlines must allow a free duty free bag - presumably because they want the extra revenue from the shops.

As to that jacket, you can do something similar by just filling your normal coat's pockets, sleeves and possibly hood then draping it over your arm. I used to do that a lot before I finally recognised I was taking stuff I didn't need and cut back to one bag. I did get some weird looks in the departure lounges though as I emptied the contents of a second bag into a coat...
  • barloo
    barloo Posts: 6 Forumite
    Watched the video clip on packing. Good but one tip missed. Put rolled up socks and other small items in your footwear before packing in bag.
  • We regularly fly Ryanair to Rome Ciampino from Edinburgh and some of the article rings true.

I'd like to emphasise benefits of using squashy luggage (Tripneeds or similar) as ground crew recognise them and rarely check dimensions or weight.

For car hire, though, the last couple of times booking (Hertz) via the Ryanair site was cheapest.
  • MarkLS12
    MarkLS12 Posts: 243 Forumite
    From point 6 in the article: "Barcelona's Girona, where Ryanair also flies, is 65 miles from the city, and will cost you around £20 return to the centre and back by bus.In contrast, BA flies to Barcelona-El Prat airport, ..."
    I wonder how well researched this is, Ryanair is the second largest airline in Barcelona El Prat flying from all over the UK while BA only fly there from airports in the London region.
  • penguingirl
    penguingirl Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    MarkLS12 wrote: »
    From point 6 in the article: "Barcelona's Girona, where Ryanair also flies, is 65 miles from the city, and will cost you around £20 return to the centre and back by bus.In contrast, BA flies to Barcelona-El Prat airport, ..."
    I wonder how well researched this is, Ryanair is the second largest airline in Barcelona El Prat flying from all over the UK while BA only fly there from airports in the London region.

I know I panicked reading this as going to Barcelona in a few weeks with Ryanair and it made me double check my booking even though I know that I had done it before. But nope, definitely flying to Barcelona El Prat.

Now Warsaw on the other hand is a good example of where you end up in the middle of nowhere...
  • Bayside
    Bayside Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 1 April 2016 at 4:24PM
    I used to avoid Ryanair because of the bad press they had. Since May 2014 I've flown with them 7 times, from Bristol and Bournemouth to Gran Canaria. I've booked more flights with them.

My experience is that their staff are helpful and polite. Arrivals have always been on time. On board food and drink is no more expensive than on other airlines. The worst I can say is that they ran out of baguettes once,

I have never paid for a particular seat (I've been offered at £6, not the £8 - 15 MSE quotes - exchange rate issue?) and my wife and I have always been seated together.

Cabin baggage has never been weighed, measured or even assessed visually. Some passengers clearly had oversize bags.

It is always cheapest to book direct from Ryanair's own website. Agents never better their prices. The website is now easy to use with no traps. In 2013, Ryanair announced, "We've changed." They have.

I'd be wary of paying for priority boarding. In airports where buses are sometimes used, such as Gran Canaria. priority boarders are first on the bus and last off, hence last on to the plane.

Ryanair have asked for my feedback and I've suggested a couple of things. They are clearly improving things, detail by detail.
  • RE: 'Got noise cancelling headphones? Take them for flights between 7am and 10pm to avoid SCREAMING announcements'

They are supposed to cut them out at these times but they never do so this is a good tip if you want to avoid 'Ryan earache'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure