a whinge about 01792 306900 cold calls

Options

Comments

• dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    datlex wrote: »
    I agree time wasting definitely works. they seem to "black list" you when you do so.

Another thing I have done when pestered by a company who kept ringing my number and asking for someone else (they were told repeatedly they had the wrong number) was to eventually pretend I was the person and tell the company I felt their level of service was appalling that I had been waiting for a call for ages and that as a result I was cancelling my order and had had the work done by a rival firm. Never heard from them again......

I had two years of phonecalls from someone who must have owned the phone number before it was allocated to us, and apparently ticked the "please bombard me with phonecalls" box on absolutely everything. Nothing worked... politely explaining no one called that name lived there, explaining you'd had 2 years of calls and she STILL didn't live there didn't work, getting angry didn't work, fibbing and telling them she was dead didn't work - the phone continued to ring multiple times a day for the wretched woman. Telling them you were TPS registered didn't work - they just blethered on how Mrs Doesnt-Live-There had signed up to recieve their phonecalls so they were going to continue.

In the end we had to change our number to escape her.

Cold-calls to my MOBILE though get me incredibly annoyed. Thankfully I don't get many at all - 1 or 2 a year, but I refuse to give my mobile number to anyone unless it's someone I actually want to be able to contact me - however much tutting and looking put-out the company in question does at being stuck with only a landline number to deal with me on.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • bargainbetty
    bargainbetty Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am polite to cold callers for the length of time it takes me to tell them I am TPS registered and to inform them that I do not want their service or to participate in their survery/research etc.

If the person then tries to continue with their spiel I will tell them less politely to go away. The caller has interrupted my day. I do not have to be nice to them beyond the bare minimum, and if they refuse to respect my privacy, then I feel no need to show them any respect or courtesy. They have once chance to update their records and leave me alone. After that, they get what they get.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am polite to cold callers for the length of time it takes me to tell them I am TPS registered and to inform them that I do not want their service or to participate in their survery/research etc.

If the person then tries to continue with their spiel I will tell them less politely to go away. The caller has interrupted my day. I do not have to be nice to them beyond the bare minimum, and if they refuse to respect my privacy, then I feel no need to show them any respect or courtesy. They have once chance to update their records and leave me alone. After that, they get what they get.

I agree with that, but I would add they do have a statutory 28 days notice to comply with your request.
  • coinxoperated
    coinxoperated Posts: 1,026 Forumite
    Options
    They also most likely have your address in front of them. I'm not trying to scare anyone, but please don't think your invincable!
  • Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    Options
    Jus a quick message from an ex-telesales person. ... the general consensus is : if they p*** you off, it's even funnier when some old fart starts getting all stroppy and panting because you disturbed his antiques roadshow.

And this is why I have no qualms at all about being rude to telesales people

Dave
  • coinxoperated
    coinxoperated Posts: 1,026 Forumite
    Options
    Dave_C wrote: »
    And this is why I have no qualms at all about being rude to telesales people

Dave

and this is why you'll end up having messy post!
  • sistafromanothermista
    Options
    I had one today too! PPi blah blah
    DEBT FREE AND PROUD:D
    'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt'
  • Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    Options
    and this is why you'll end up having messy post!
    I'm sorry but I don't understand your reply.

Dave
  • greedymoo
    Options
    I received a missed call from this number (01792 306900) earlier today on a mobile which has a free Orange sim in it which we received less than 2 weeks ago. We haven't yet used the phone at all and certainly haven't given the number to anyone which proves (as far as I'm concerned) that it has to be Orange who has passed the number on.

I'm not very happy about it as we got the sim to put in a phone for the carers of our disabled daughter to use when she moves into independent living in the next few weeks. Does anyone have any ideas what, if anything, I can do about this? I'm going to start by calling Orange to complain about passing the number on.
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I believe they would have been calling to offer you insurance on the phone so nothing to worry about to much.

However I would be annoyed too give Orange a call and see if they can change you preferences for passing details.
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure