Flights to Sharm el-Sheikh delayed/cancelled

Comments

• As the Government have advised against air travel to Sharm, has this changed anything for those flying to Hurghada?
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    As the Government have advised against air travel to Sharm, has this changed anything for those flying to Hurghada?

Well I wouldn't take my family there, that's for sure.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am sitting by the pool in Sharm as I type this. Flight booked for Saturday afternoon, have to see what happens. I have been through Sharm airport before and it isn't Gatwick! I suspect that if anything was smuggled through the airport it would have been by staff and not a passenger. Time will tell.
  • Bbc website shows Thomas Cook has suspended all flights to and from Sharm until 12th November
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 November 2015 at 9:54AM
    nicolakate wrote: »
    The airport is 3 hours away so I really don't want to drive down and be then told my holiday is off.

Check your insurance, some policies say you have to turn up at the airport and available to check in unless you have been advised beforehand that the flight is cancelled.

Hopefully they'll let you know before it gets that far.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yet Hurgada is OK?. Its chaotic there as well wont the bad guys just go there?
  • I am sitting by the pool in Sharm as I type this. Flight booked for Saturday afternoon, have to see what happens. I have been through Sharm airport before and it isn't Gatwick! I suspect that if anything was smuggled through the airport it would have been by staff and not a passenger. Time will tell.

Best of luck getting it sorted Jim!
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I am sitting by the pool in Sharm as I type this. Flight booked for Saturday afternoon, have to see what happens. I have been through Sharm airport before and it isn't Gatwick! I suspect that if anything was smuggled through the airport it would have been by staff and not a passenger. Time will tell.

Best attitude, relax and enjoy a possibly extended holiday.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Airlines and flights other than those of UK have been operating normally until just now - the Dutch government has advised its citizens not to use Sharm el Sheik airport.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    So possible options to return, for those in urgent need of getting back:

1. Boat trip to Hurghada and then flight with Monarch/ Easyjet
    2. Coach/ taxi to Cairo and flight from there
    3. Taxi to Eilat, crossing the border into Israel and then either Ryan air via Kaunas, Lithuania or internal flight (or coach) to Tel Aviv and direct from there.

All would turn this into a decent two centre holiday, but in terms of getting back easily they are probably in the right order.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure