wombling in tesco - what's safe

Options

Comments

• A_little_stressed!!
    Options
    If I found money on the floor I'd keep it end of! If it was of high value (wad of notes then I would make an effort to get it to its rightful owner! At my work we are outside & have fantastic fun with who can find what money in a day! 2p here, 5p there! Its strong competition picking up pennys, its not about the money though, more the finding!
    One warning - don't smoke weed you have found! We did after work many years ago and it definately had something extra in it!!! There was LOADS of it but we chucked it, thought that was better than dying etc!
    I'm getting older, and lifes getting harder!:mad:
  • Loop
    Loop Posts: 2,717 Forumite
    Options
    If someone throws a reciept away then its fair game to the finder, im hardly concerned about a letter from Mr T saying Stop it, or even removing my points, after all we know this COULD happen when we start this in the 1st place.
    The chances of it actually happening are so slim its not worth worrying about, best to err on the side of caution like 99% of us who womble do.

I would like to also point out that my points balance is low compared to most on here, so my account is unlikely to get noticed anyway!
    :wall:Crazy Nutters Club Member 003 :wall:
  • n3phi1im
    n3phi1im Posts: 219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I came to MSE a it is a community devoted to helping each other to save money. When I find a thread where accusations are made of criminal activity, I am shocked and dismayed at the lack of community spirit. I am no legal expert but there seems to be a lot of bad blood in this thread. Perhaps a look at each point might help.
    • The law that applies to abandoned or lost goods can be found summarised here.
      However, these receipts are neither lost nor abandoned - they are discarded. Collecting these receipts is in no way illegal.
    • Using the receipts to gain extra points. Tescos Clubcard T&C says
      9. To collect points for a transaction in-store, your Clubcard card or Key Fobs must be presented at the checkout. To collect points on purchases made through any catalogue or online, you will be required to quote your Clubcard number.
      It does not say that you can have points added any other way. It follows therefore that points added by CS are added entirely at the discretion of Tesco.
    • Clubcard points are theoretical things with no existence in reality and no intrinsic value (vouchers are however different in that they have a physical reality and a real value). Remember that it is Tesco disrection as to whether they get added or not. Obtaining points in this way may be considered an abuse of the system but can never be 'Fraud'.
    • Womblers are aware that this is an abuse of the system and are aware that they may lose their Clubcard if caught. Saying that it is a criminal offense is just scaremongering. What next, you gonna start calling them Terrorists??
    • Please remember that morals are a personal thing and those who shove theirs into the faces of others are not making any freinds and instead are likely to get laughed at just like the Kansas State Board for Education. (I know its old news but it still makes me laugh :rotfl:)

Oh yeah, if it were illegal, would MSE allow this discussion???
  • paws17
    paws17 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MarkyMarkD wrote: »
    What ARE you wittering about? "Computers for schools" and other promotions are specifically designed for people to collect their vouchers and hand them to their schools.

What slight relevance is that supposed to have to this debate?

:confused:

If you really don't get the point of my "wittering", it's quite clear why you have to resort so quickly & so often to pouring scorn on those who happen to express opinions that don't accord with your own.

Anyway, for those interested in my argument, Tesco can't have their cake and eat it - If passing the indirect benefits of shopping at Tesco to a 3rd party is OK in one instance (Computers for Schools), they can't suddenly call another similar instance (e.g. Wombling) "fraudulent" or "theft" or any other scary sounding word some of you may like to smear us humble folk with.

The fact that they attempt to do so in their T&C doesn't make those T&C valid in law - "Unfair terms in consumer contracts" and all that.....

Their two-facedness in this matter is borne of the same ugly meanmindedness which leads car park authorities to "prohibit" the use of the unused time on purchased car parking tickets by 3rd parties - and we all go along with that don't we......

Keep on wombling free, everyone!

P.S. Excellent post, n3phi1im
  • Kal
    Kal Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    I was once PM'd on flea-bay by someone purporting to be a Tesco manager he had noticed I was bidding on some tesco vouchers and he said that I should stay well clear as he had caught staff in his store pocketing the tesco clubcard vouchers and selling them on when they did not belong to them.

Welshy x

I have noticed that staff rarely put extra points vouchers etc into the till, I wonder is this why?

And also with regard to wombling, I very often have to get CS to add on points as till spills etc havent worked or I've forgotten to hand the voucher over so surely this would 'flag' my account even though I havent done anything wrong. I do find it a stretch of the imagination to think that they actively employ people to look for these kinds of 'irregularities' on cc accounts but then again, knowing Mr T it wouldn't surprise me!
  • leadhead
    leadhead Posts: 2,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    paws17 wrote: »

Keep on wombling free, everyone!

P.S. Excellent post, n3phi1im

At least until Tesco decide they dont like what you are doing.

My National Tesco ban is for policy abuse, at the time I was RandRing, and getting Golden RandRs and wombling...........

I have receipts with 5,000 (recent) unclaimed points if anyone wants to test my theory.................no sorry cant send them.....you may work for Tescos, then I'm up the creek...........
    Couponing....."every little hurts"

Half of the people can be part right all of the time, Some of the people can be all right part of the time.
    But all the people can't be all right all the time. .........I think Abraham Lincoln said that.
    "I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours, "I said that............................ Bob Dylan 1963
  • n3phi1im
    n3phi1im Posts: 219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    leadhead wrote: »
    At least until Tesco decide they dont like what you are doing.

My National Tesco ban is for policy abuse, at the time I was RandRing, and getting Golden RandRs and wombling...........

I have receipts with 5,000 (recent) unclaimed points if anyone wants to test my theory.................no sorry cant send them.....you may work for Tescos, then I'm up the creek...........

Have you tried a disguise??

{Picture of glasses with big nose and tache}

:D
  • blackcateddie
    Options
    Since the clubcard points are exchanged for vouchers each quarter then womblers are gaining a monetary advantage by pretending the receipts are theirs, the vouchers can be spent in Tesco's or exchanged for other goods so surely it should be classed as 'gaining money by deception' and as such fraud. Funny how it's the same old posters who fully supported R n R excesses isn't it!
    At some point Mr T will crackdown and the true punter won't be able to get OH's points added on because of others abusing the system. But then they won't care but will have moved onto the next 'scam'.
  • Carmina_Piranha_3
    Options
    Kal wrote: »
    I have noticed that staff rarely put extra points vouchers etc into the till, I wonder is this why?

i haven't noticed. but tesco know which clubcard vouchers you have redeemed. i lost some vouchers during a house move and when i called tesco they knew exactly how much i had lost because they have some way of knowing which vouchers i had redeemed and which ones i hadn't.

i can't see any benefit to tesco staff if they were to pocket vouchers. if they are already redeemed then they have no value. i suppose you could sell a redeemed voucher and just let the buyer find out it is worthless.

on the subject of having more than one clubcard account per address - you can't use keyfobs at the petrol stations so a 2 car family would need a big card each, or to keep swapping it between them depending on who was most likely to buy petrol that day.
    'bad mothers club' member 13

* I have done geography as well *
  • mollymunchkin
    Options
    I'd be wary of claiming the points on a receipt where a credit card had been used because you don't know if it had been stolen. You might get the police knocking on your door :eek:
    Cos I don't shine if you don't shine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport