Onwards and downwards...

jwil
jwil Posts: 19,090 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
Hey everyone :beer:

I’ve decided it’s time for a new diary. I’ve been plodding away for years, robbing Peter to pay Paul, desperately trying to keep on top of everything. I’m fed up with doing this, so at the end of last year I started a DMP with Stepchange. Having someone else do all the hard work takes so much pressure off, and I don’t need to worry about it so much now. I wish I’d done it sooner!

There is also the ongoing saga of clearing the house which has been going on for years. We have cleared most of the stuff we inherited, but still have loads of our own stuff to clear, DH more so than me. Whilst this drives me crazy, it has been invaluable in providing us extra cash while I sell everything that isn’t nailed down.

For anyone new popping in (Hello! :wave: ) Do stick around. There is me, DH, little jwil (4) and little miss (1). We also have a dog and a cat. DH is doing temporary work at the moment whilst looking for a FT job. My job is very uncertain at the moment, so just clinging on with great hope! I thought it was ok for the next couple of years, but it’s all change again now so who knows!

I hope old friends and new will pop in now and again to say hello and give me a boot up the bum :D
"If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney

Comments

• jwil
    The debt.

I’ve always been a bit vague about what I owe, but the grand total when I started my DMP was £34,229.

It’s been built up over decades, with my degree courses (no student loans available for me then), cars (just second hand runarounds, nothing fancy), general overspending and a stupid consolidation that obviously worked well :doh:

The debts are all mine, not DHs so they are mine to pay back. It was mostly built up before we were together and hasn’t really reduced over the years.

I’m in a decent job (at the moment), but DH is looking for a permanent job so we have to be careful. Our childcare bill is a killer, but should reduce somewhat when little jwil starts school in September which will help. DH is doing temporary jobs at the moment, so we can’t reduce the childcare until he gets some permanent hours as he needs to be available. As a result our household finances are very tight at the moment, and there’s not any wiggle room so paying token payments at the moment to my debts.

I don’t have any savings, so the money from selling my stuff is meant to be going towards building up an emergency fund, however, it keeps getting sucked up by bills at the moment. I’m hoping to change that soon!

The House

Our house needs loads of work doing to it, as it has barely been touched since the 1970s. We don’t have the spare cash to do anything at the moment, but also there’s no room to do anything because of all our stuff!

It has improved, but there is still a massive way to go. Every time we make a gap, we keep filling it again! I think our stuff multiplies. I therefore spend half my life listing, packing and posting eBay sales.

We do like a good mooch around a car boot sale so go most weekends. (Hence a lot of our stuff!) I’m much better about not buying things now for me, although do tend to buy the kids things. We also sell regularly at car boot sales of things I don’t put on eBay.

I am trying to follow the Marie Kondo method of decluttering my house, though it is very slow progress and I’m not doing it strictly as I can’t always access everything to gather it together. But the basic principles work for me. It’s just trying to find the time really around everything else.
  • jwil
    Here are my decluttering/survey totals so far for this year. I shall continue with these:

Decluttering:
    Books: 197
    Magazines/papers: 33
    Ebay parcels: 452
    Other: 134

Total: 759

Ebay listings: 543

Survey/other earnings:
    Amazon: £25
    Paypal/cash: £47.14
    Other vouchers:
  • jwil
    edited 27 March 2017 at 3:09PM
    I'm not going to bother with the money targets I had before. My new totals are:

Total debt: [STRIKE]£34,229[/STRIKE]/£34,229 = 0% paid
    Savings target: [STRIKE]£19,320[/STRIKE]/£0 = 0% reached

The savings target is naturally a bit of a dream, but it would be nice, and why not aim high!

I know you shouldn't have savings whilst you have debts, but I haven't got anything so firstly need something in the bank for emergencies, and then once I reach that, to pay off some of the debts in lump sums/pay for work to be done to the house.

Once I have some emergency savings I shall consider self managing my DMP so I can overpay whenever I am able to.
  • Hi jwil I'm here in your lovely new diary. Here's to a good year for you in debt busting, saving and decluttering.
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Good luck with the journey Jwil......and if you find the answer to the decluttering mystery dont keep it to yourself...;)
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I have followed you over too...great to see the fresh start and fingers crossed for everything x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • ChicaBonita
    ChicaBonita Posts: 673 Forumite
    Hi, I've never commented before but I followed your old diary and you inspired me to start ebaying, you do so well. And your declutter lists are an inspiration! Good luck with your new diary :)
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello jwil, I totally understand your need for a new diary. Fresh start for you now you've got your new plan.
    My husband will only get rid of his rubbish if motivated. If you get rid of your three guitars you and your amp you can buy a new guitar... the new guitar never materialised but the old guitars and the amp is gone :)
    Keep your pecker up jwil. you are making holes in the clutter. I remember when you had rooms you couldn't go in. It just won't feel good enough until it's all gone. you need to step back and appreciate all you have achieved. you're doing great.
    Great news one company refunded interest and charges! Get those complaints fired off xxxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Hi jwil followed you over :hello:
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • jwil
    edited 28 March 2017 at 9:18AM
    Hi jwil I'm here in your lovely new diary. Here's to a good year for you in debt busting, saving and decluttering.

Thanks retired :) How are you all getting on?
    Good luck with the journey Jwil......and if you find the answer to the decluttering mystery dont keep it to yourself...;)

Thanks parsniphead - it definitely breeds!
    brizzledfw wrote: »
    I have followed you over too...great to see the fresh start and fingers crossed for everything x

Thanks Brizzle :) Great to see you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family