DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    nbdrums1 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    This is my first post!!
    I have for one reason or another (illness ect) ended up with £35K on credit cards 3 Lenders (MBNA, Barclaycard, Halifax).
    I have run them all up twice before and paid them off is remortgaging but I am at the point where I can!!!8217;t do this anymore.
    The interest free offers have all finished and I dont have anywhere to move the money too. The minimum payments are too much for me to handle (over 1K a month). The last few months I have used one card to pay the other, but having found this forums I want to go on a DMP!! And put an end to this as I cant live with the stress!
    I have another MBNA minimum payment due next week and I havent got the money to cover it, I am so stressed!!
    Wheres the best place to go to help me do this?
    I dont want to make any mistakes!!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I am scared that as I am self employed they are going to come after me big time!!
    Thanks!!

Now you've had your LBM (Lightbulb Moment) as we like to call it - congratulations :)

I'm not versed in how DMPs work for those who are self-employed - but I don't think its that much different from those (like me) who are not. I imagine the only 'complicated bit', if there is one -will be working out your income if it has a tendency to fluctuate depending on your workstreams.

With that said, no-one will be coming after you 'big time' because you're self-employed -but to put your mind at rest, why not call one of the 'free' debt charities. StepChange or Payplan are the two most used by folks on here.

That aside - stop paying your non-priority debts now. Your priority has to be keeping a roof over your head and food on the table. I could say a lot more about the process -but I really think it'll help you to call and speak with someone who can reassure you verbally and then you can come back on here for more advice.

So, go grab a coffee and make that call :)
  • Red_Athena
    Red_Athena Posts: 50 Forumite
    Photogenic
    edited 9 August 2018 at 5:49PM
    Writing my holding letters to creditors now :eek:

Does anyone know, for a Barclayloan is the account number the one that shows on the online banking? I can see a sort code and an account number. Or will there be a loan agreement number or something on some long hidden away paperwork? Thanks!

Wow, nobody make it easy to find addresses these days do they? Feel like I should send them all to Santa and he can forward them on!
  • Red_Athena
    Photogenic
    nbdrums1 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

This is my first post!!

I have for one reason or another (illness ect) ended up with £35K on credit cards 3 Lenders (MBNA, Barclaycard, Halifax).

I have run them all up twice before and paid them off is remortgaging but I am at the point where I can!!!8217;t do this anymore.

The interest free offers have all finished and I don!!!8217;t have anywhere to move the money too. The minimum payments are too much for me to handle (over 1K a month). The last few months I have used one card to pay the other, but having found this forums I want to go on a DMP!! And put an end to this as I can!!!8217;t live with the stress!

I have another MBNA minimum payment due next week and I haven!!!8217;t got the money to cover it, I am so stressed!!

Where!!!8217;s the best place to go to help me do this?

I don!!!8217;t want to make any mistakes!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am scared that as I am self employed they are going to come after me big time!!

Thanks!!

Hi nbdrums1,

I'm in almost the exact same situation (minus the mortgage). I've decided to set up a DMP via StepChange. Take a look at their website and run through the debt remedy tool, it talks you through a few options. Good luck!
  • DMP_Tiger
    DMP_Tiger Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 10 August 2018 at 8:53AM
    Red Athena - yes your Barclayloan reference is the 6 digit sort code plus the 8 digit account number. No spaces so that gives you a 14 digit account number.
    August 2018: Secured Debt £70,003 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,657 Total £104,660 DFD: March 2031
    January 2019: Secured Debt £68,269 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,457 Total £102,726 DFD: March 2031
  • Red_Athena
    Photogenic
    DMP_Tiger wrote: »
    Red Athena - yes your Barclayloan reference us the 6 digit sort code plus the 8 digit account number. No spaces so that gives you a 14 digit account number.

Fab, thank you.

Letters all done, envelope writing session to follow. Need to take out a loan to pay for stamps for these :rotfl:
  • Moooorning!

Received my first response to self-managed DMP from Nationwide, but I’m not quite sure what to make of it...

A reduced payment plan has been arranged for £1 to be received for 3 months...
    ...I need to advise you that any arrears or repayment plans that are agreed on your account will be recorded on your credit file with the Credit Reference Agencies...
    I hope this clarifies the situation.

When I sent the DMP letters out I said the £1 token payment was for 6 months at which point I would review and send another I&E, they’ve made no reference to this.

I’m wondering if their wording means that after their stipulated 3 months they will begin the default process? Although no mention of defaults on the letter...

B&B
  • Scammie
    Scammie Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have hit a wobble and would appreciate your advice. SC wrote to tell me that Halifax refused my budget. When I rang them the girl said that everything on the budget looked as they would expect, except the credit union payment which comes straight out of my husbands pay and £100 for my sons school fees. My son goes to a grammar school and these fees are not voluntary.

SC are fine with both these payments and all my other creditors have accepted the budget. I am due to start paying in October, having taken the first four months to get an EF saved. I am still paying token £10 to Halifax and other creditors.

Halifax have now texted me asking me to call them. SC have said to just explain re the the fact that my husbands credit union is from his work and we my son in case they think it’s a private school . Has anyone else had experience of this? I would prefer to write to Halifax but if I’m going to ring would like to be prepared.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 August 2018 at 1:45PM
    Scammie wrote: »
    I have hit a wobble and would appreciate your advice. SC wrote to tell me that Halifax refused my budget. When I rang them the girl said that everything on the budget looked as they would expect, except the credit union payment which comes straight out of my husbands pay and £100 for my sons school fees. My son goes to a grammar school and these fees are not voluntary.

SC are fine with both these payments and all my other creditors have accepted the budget. I am due to start paying in October, having taken the first four months to get an EF saved. I am still paying token £10 to Halifax and other creditors.

Halifax have now texted me asking me to call them. SC have said to just explain re the the fact that my husbands credit union is from his work and we my son in case they think it!!!8217;s a private school . Has anyone else had experience of this? I would prefer to write to Halifax but if I!!!8217;m going to ring would like to be prepared.

Hi,

Ignore the Halifax, continue to make your stepchange payments.

You can write and explain by all means.

The Halifax will do one of three things, either accept eventually, pass the debt to a DCA to mange, or sell the debt on,

Either way, it makes no difference to you, keep making payments, ignore there rhetoric.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • jubilee14
    jubilee14 Posts: 331 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    As per Sourcrates just keep doing what your doing. i had similar issue with HBOS loan, but not with Hfx cc. They didnt recognise account no, didnt accept etc etc. but payment went to them every month. SC said do nothing different. In the end after about 6 months of them applying interest they defaulted me and payments continued with no interest applied. They turned out to be the first to default me. Hfx cc did a year later, my Hfx OD did another year later and BC never did. However i check my credit file via noddle /clear score etc to make sure no interest is applied to BC.

Dont fret it will turn out ok
    LBM Sept 2012
    started DMP 1.11.12
    Debt [STRIKE]£37012[/STRIKE]/£0 DFD January 2019 :beer:
  • Hi everyone,

i am really new to this but i would like some information if possible! i am on a DMP with SC which first payment comes out 1st September - they say it will take 3.5 years for me to be debt free. I have never missed a payment in my life and my repayment each month to SC is £770, does anyone know if the payment is just short off minimum payment that i wont be defaulted? ideally, i would rather be defaulted at the start as i know it stays on your record for 6 years. i still feel ultra stressed out about this all and i feel like it keeps me up at night and my anxiety is literally through the roof!

Any advice, good or bad i am here ready to listen.

thank you all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport