New Life Pending.....

Iwantanewlife
Iwantanewlife Posts: 443 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 25 July 2019 at 2:16PM in Debt free diaries
Here it is, my attempt at debt busting, learning to budget and create a saving pot!

Im hoping this diary will help me, and enable me to get some tips along the way.

Now ive actually started looking at money (like i should of done years ago) Im shocked at home much money ive just wasted. I literally did not think twice about any of it, even though ive never really had any savings. Every month i would wonder why i had no money, despite earning an ok wage - now i can see so clearly!

I hope you guys can join me in my journey - Please dont hesitate to give me tips on where im going wrong!

Background and info about my life:

I am a single mum, in my early thirties. I work full time and live in London. I have always been silly with money, can even remember it when i was younger wasting money out of my piggy bank/spending it as soon as i was given it etc. I am ashamed to say, I do not think I have ever saved up for anything. I get it, deal with the consequences later. That has meant, I have never learnt the value of things. I have paid ridiculous interest rates, and most importantly to me left myself in a really weak financial situation. If i was to lose my job tomorrow, everything is finished.

So, enough is enough.

I made a budget cutting back everything. I have closed all subscriptions, and taken down all my TV, phone and internet bills ( im contracted in all). I have also set up a bank account and separated each heading off my budget into 'pots' so am always 100% clear on what i have left in my budget as i go through the month.

SOA - New Budget, and what i am living to now.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information
Number of adults in household........... 1
Number of children in household......... 1
Number of cars owned.................... 0

Monthly Income Details
Monthly income after tax................ 2604.17
Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
Benefits................................ 82.8
Other income............................ 0
Total monthly income.................... 2686.97

Monthly Expense Details
Mortgage................................ 0
Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
Rent.................................... 1000 (London)
Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
Council tax............................. 114 (moved to over 12 months)
Electricity............................. 35
Gas..................................... 35
Oil..................................... 0
Water rates............................. 20
Telephone (land line)................... 0
Mobile phone............................ 45 (just cut this, contracted till may 2020)
TV Licence.............................. 12.5
Satellite/Cable TV...................... 28 (as above)
Internet Services....................... 24 (as above)
Groceries etc. ......................... 200 (sticking to this well with meal planning!)
Clothing................................ 40
Petrol/diesel........................... 120 (company car for private use, no other costs bar tax)
Road tax................................ 0
Car Insurance........................... 0
Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0
Car parking............................. 10
Other travel............................ 0
Childcare/nursery....................... 280
Other child related expenses............ 40
Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 5
Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
Buildings insurance..................... 0
Contents insurance...................... 14
Life assurance ......................... 10
Other insurance......................... 0
Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 30
Haircuts................................ 12.5
Entertainment........................... 50
Holiday................................. 20
Emergency fund.......................... 50
Total monthly expenses.................. 2295

Assets
Cash.................................... 50 (only just started this, this month)
House value (Gross)..................... 0
Shares and bonds........................ 0
Car(s).................................. 0
Other assets............................ 0
Total Assets............................ 50

No Secured nor Hire Purchase Debts

Unsecured Debts
Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
CC 1...........................1373.19...42.71.....38
CC2............................442.7.....15.66.... .38
PayPal Credit..................218.76....8.........0 (not sure)
Loan...........................1345.47...90....... .89%!!! (ridiculous i know, and is correct)
CC 3...........................188.2.....50........38
Total unsecured debts..........3568.32...206.37....-

Monthly Budget Summary
Total monthly income.................... 2,686.97
Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,295
Available for debt repayments........... 391.97
Monthly Unsecured debt repayments....... 206.37
Amount left after debt repayments....... 185.6

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
Total assets (things you own)........... 50
Total HP & Secured debt................. -0
Total Unsecured debt.................... -3,568.32
Net Assets.............................. -3,518.32
My debt free journey, diary and all! New Life Pending :beer:

Comments

• Day 4

Pleased to confirm that this week I have kept well within budget for food and fuel, and week to date i have spent £9.50 on a birthday present, out of my present pot. (This is a massive achievement for me!)

I have also cancelled all my subscriptions, including my beloved amazon prime. I figured now im cutting back my spending, i really dont need a service that encourages hazardous spending!

I have my meals planned until Saturday (new week), and my shopping list written out for next week according to the meals. I am feeling in control.....I can do this!

i think the real test for me will be when i get paid, as that will show if my 'pots' are allocated right - pray for me please peeps!!

Debt - £3568.32
    Days till Payday - 10
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,162 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary! Best of luck :D
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Misslayed wrote: »
    Happy shiny new diary! Best of luck :D

Thank you! :) really quite empowering, I never imagined trying to clear debt would give me that feeling!
  • I'm just beginning my journey as well! It's amazing how your mind instantly changes when you 'wake up' to how foolish and wasteful you've been, hey?

Good luck with everything. I shall lurk around and look forward to seeing all your successes.
  • Sara21
    Sara21 Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I love finding a new diary to follow! Good luck to you!
  • Alicia1804 wrote: »
    I'm just beginning my journey as well! It's amazing how your mind instantly changes when you 'wake up' to how foolish and wasteful you've been, hey?

Have you started a diary too? Honestly, i cannot believe how foolish i have been! i keep reading about the light bulb moment, and its so true!

Good luck with everything. I shall lurk around and look forward to seeing all your successes.
    Sara21 wrote: »
    I love finding a new diary to follow! Good luck to you!

Thank you! it means so much that anyone would even take the time to reply to my ramblings!!:wave:;)
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    Hello and welcome

You've made a really good start. If you use your excess you could pay off CC3 in a very short time and free up some more money to pay off the loan with the high interest rate.

You could maybe cut your grocery budget as well but that really depends on what's included in it. Meal planning definitely the way to go. Are you keeping a spending diary?

It is a learning curve but you're right it is really empowering.

Lots of luck.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Hello and welcome

You've made a really good start. If you use your excess you could pay off CC3 in a very short time and free up some more money to pay off the loan with the high interest rate.

You could maybe cut your grocery budget as well but that really depends on what's included in it. Meal planning definitely the way to go. Are you keeping a spending diary?

It is a learning curve but you're right it is really empowering.

Lots of luck.

Hi!

Thank you for replying!
    Thats exactly what im going to do with the CC then move on to that awful loan! Glad you spotted that too- means i may be on the right lines...finally :rotfl:

I do meal plan, i have also always brought in lunch to work etc. I was spending £65 per week, then little top ups here and there. I have now realised i was throwing food away like there's no tomorrow, so shaved it down to the £50. I reckon i would be able to get it down to £40, which im going to trial next week, so i will let you know how i get on! That would free up an extra £40 for the dreaded loan :eek:
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I think there is some 'wiggle room' for your monthly groceries category to be further reduced. I'm assuming you can use your company car to get to a local discounter such as Lidl or Aldi. Also batch cooking larger quantities and freezing the portions can also be helpful.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Iwantanewlife
    Iwantanewlife Posts: 443 Forumite
    edited 25 July 2019 at 3:27PM
    I think there is some 'wiggle room' for your monthly groceries category to be further reduced. I'm assuming you can use your company car to get to a local discounter such as Lidl or Aldi. Also batch cooking larger quantities and freezing the portions can also be helpful.

I think your right - im going to trial £40 per week for next weeks meals. I like cooking and often freeze meals etc. What do you think a realistic budget is for 2 people, if you use left overs for work lunches and a basic packed lunch for the boy?

Yes company car is a benefit of my job, claim back fuel as and when i use it for work purposes. Free to use as if it was my own car.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure