Finding out stuff

Not at all sure this is the right place but hoping someone can point me in the right direction for information.

A friend is planning on coming on an extended visit. She is currently in a wheelchair. By the time she comes she may have a prosthetic limb but will probably still need a wheelchair as well.

I need to work out how much turning space will be needed for the chair - will it actually be able to be manoeuvred round my flat. Also how to get in and out of the shower - which is over a standard bath.

She may not be able to bring her own chair - how easy is it to hire one? How do you get a wheelchair on and off a train, especially if the platform is curved? Is it better to board a train on a mobility scooter than in a chair? She will need to travel into central London at least occasionally. Can one hire mobility scooters?

As she is a foreign national should she be getting private health insurance rather than rely on the NHS if anything goes wrong?

What other questions should I be asking that I haven’t thought of?

I appreciate that these are everyday issues for many, but I have never had to deal with them before - and it is not a question of adapting my home as we are talking one or two months not permanent residence.

Comments

• I have no idea about wheelchairs but I would suggest private health insurance just as we would take it out if travelling abroad, is she from outside the EU?
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    Not at all sure this is the right place but hoping someone can point me in the right direction for information.

A friend is planning on coming on an extended visit. She is currently in a wheelchair. By the time she comes she may have a prosthetic limb but will probably still need a wheelchair as well.

I need to work out how much turning space will be needed for the chair - will it actually be able to be manoeuvred round my flat. Also how to get in and out of the shower - which is over a standard bath. You can get a bath board. This is put across the bath and allows a person to sit safely whilst showering, although she might need you to leave the shower head dangling in the bath before she goes in. A bath mat in the bottom of the bath would be advisable.

She may not be able to bring her own chair - how easy is it to hire one? How do you get a wheelchair on and off a train, especially if the platform is curved? Is it better to board a train on a mobility scooter than in a chair? She will need to travel into central London at least occasionally. Can one hire mobility scooters? The Red Cross hire out wheelchairs, as well as other organisations. Or look in second hand shops - our local hospiace shop has lots of disability equipment at very low prices. If she contacts the train station before she travels, a guard can put down ramps to help her wheel on and off the train. The guard can also accompany her across to another platform if necessary. This needs to be booked in advance. When I have used this service with my son, there has been no charge. I don't know anything about scooters, although our local Shopmobility hire them out.

As she is a foreign national should she be getting private health insurance rather than rely on the NHS if anything goes wrong? Definitely. It's not something that I know much about, but I wouldn't dream of travelling to another country without appropriate health insurance.

What other questions should I be asking that I haven’t thought of? *Where will she sleep - upstairs or downstairs?

* Is there a toilet that she can access easily?
    * Consider buying a Radar key, as this gives access to disabled toilets around the country. They are only a couple of pounds to buy from Amazon.
    * Will she need medication whilst she is here? I don't know anything about this, but I imagine that she is unlikely to be able to get a NHS prescription.

* You might want to have a look at The Rough Guide to Accessible Britain. It's a free download.
    https://www.motability.co.uk/news-views-and-events/rough-guide-to-accessible-britain/?gclid=CjwKCAjwwtTmBRBqEiwA-b6c__3HNdfCj1u0O9nxnqvHPiR9u4_Cab7GFUOhgwDQDXogMn_0jNtyvhoCbcgQAvD_BwE

I appreciate that these are everyday issues for many, but I have never had to deal with them before - and it is not a question of adapting my home as we are talking one or two months not permanent residence.

Hope this helps a little.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks, that’s really helpful.

Not sure whether her US medical insurance works in the UK. Will have to check. I suspect she will bring a stack of medication with her so not too worried about prescriptions. Though, come to think of it, I will need to check out accessibility at my GP’s surgery or maybe suss out the one in a new purpose built centre that’s way further away.

The toilet and high sided bath are my worst worries. I’m on the ground floor so getting in and out of the flat will be ok with some sort of mini ramp to cope with a shallow step. But once inside, my hallway is quite narrow so I need to measure up and calculate turning space to make sure she can access the rooms.
  • B_G_B
    B_G_B Posts: 502 Forumite
    Almost impossible to work out wheelchair manoeuvrability. Two slightly different chairs can be miles apart in this aspect.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks, that’s really helpful.

Not sure whether her US medical insurance works in the UK. Will have to check. I suspect she will bring a stack of medication with her so not too worried about prescriptions. Though, come to think of it, I will need to check out accessibility at my GP’s surgery or maybe suss out the one in a new purpose built centre that’s way further away.

The toilet and high sided bath are my worst worries. I’m on the ground floor so getting in and out of the flat will be ok with some sort of mini ramp to cope with a shallow step. But once inside, my hallway is quite narrow so I need to measure up and calculate turning space to make sure she can access the rooms.

As US citizen she will not be entitled to free NHS care so will need to either check with her own insurers that they will cover her costs or take out additional insurance. Due to possible costs she might find it best to make enquiries about this before she spends money on booking flights etc, it might not be cheap

As for the GP, it is likely that she will need to check that they will take a non NHS patient, each practice can make it's own decisions as to which temporary patients they will register and which they will not, so check that as well as asking about access. Make sure she has good credit in cards or access to cash as well in case she needs any form of treatment, depending on her insurance she may have to pay upfront and then reclaim later from her insurance, so travelling with plenty of access to money is imperative.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • M_Python
    M_Python Posts: 176 Forumite
    Can she not use crutches to get around in your flat?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Check the width of your doorways as a wheelchair might be too wide to go through.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    How does your friend manage transfers (getting in and out of the wheelchair?)

If she uses a hoist you'll need to hire one that you're both familiar with using, if you've never used one before you might want to familiarise yourself with "moving and handing" techniques before your friend arrives.

If your friend is "in a chair" then of course she's going to bring her own, she's hardly going to bum shuffle around an airport until you bring the hired one to her is she? All this will need to be arranged with the airline.

The airline, despite your friend possibly being otherwise as fit as a fiddle will probably want a "fit to fly" note from her doctor and another from a U.K. doctor for the return flight if they're not close together, this will not be covered by either the NHS nor by travel insurance.

Anyone should have adequate travel insurance and obviously make sure any pre existing conditions are covered as well. The NHS will only treat emergency cases in A&E and won't help a flare up of a pre-existing condition. They're also not cheap when the bill arrives at the end, much to many overseas visitors surprise.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    You need to ask your friend how she manages at home. How does she get about, use the toilet, shower etc. There a re disability aids available but you most likely need to buy them, unless somebody like the Red Cross hires them out in your area.

There is a GOV.UK site about travelling with a wheelchair.
    https://www.gov.uk/transport-disabled
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is it better to board a train on a mobility scooter than in a chair?

Acceptance of mobility scooters or powered wheelchairs on trains is varied, depending on the train type and the scooter type. Some train companies have a permit system where they can pre-approve individual scooters. Some don't accept scooters at all (including Heathrow Express).

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/44969.aspx

For baths, local social services may have a day care facility with a roll-in shower or bath hoist which could be used occasionally. They may also operate an equipment loan facility which might include bath boards, bath lifts etc. The problem is they will usually need to 'assess' the 'client' and that involves a delay.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure