PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Steady on honey bear, this thread is only for people who are preparing their nuclear bunkers. Heaven forfend they should actually consider attempting to stop the event before it happens!
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is the season of peace and goodwill to all, whether you voted to leave or stay.
    Doesn’t really matter now frugallers. Just do what you feel is best for you and yours 😃 and please let’s support each other.
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    It's like a mini version of the govt in here cuddlymarm isn't it? So busy bickering and sniping that nothing is being done. Hell mend them then ;)
  • If we don't need our extra stock in March because Brexit either doesn't bring any problems and shortages or it doesn't happen at all I shall have stocks of the things I use everyday anyway and clothes I can wear when the things I'm currently using wear out. I may even save a few pounds buying them in the sales.....is there any problem with saving some cash? is there any problem with having extra socks in stock, is there any problem with having tea, flour and baked beans in the pantry??? I don't think so!
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    .is there any problem with saving some cash? is there any problem with having extra socks in stock, is there any problem with having tea, flour and baked beans in the pantry??? I don't think so!

Eminently sensible Mrs LW. I have always kept a good stock cupboard. When I was first married and had young family (1970's) we had little spare money so not only did I try to buy tinned food staples when it was cheap, I also bought the children's clothes for the next age up in the sales. As the children grew up and I went back to work so had more cash we did get a bit less careful with money (at least my ex-H did) but I always kept basics in the cupboard as the kids were likely to invite friends to dinner and I could always rustle up a quick spag.bol. padded out with extar tomatoes and lentils to feed the hordes. Now I am retired (but 3 years to state pension) I still buy things "on offer". Food stocks tend to be higher in winter as I don't walk well in icy conditions so saves me having to go out. Clothes/shoes - well I don't really follow fashion any more (actually never did) but like you, if I see a good offer on something I would get a lot of use from I will buy it (funds permitting) as I may not have the funds when I do "need" the item. In really wet weather it is useful (sensible) to have 2 good sets of outdoor clothes and shoes.
    Re Brexit - I tend to be of the opinion that it will not be as bad as a lot of the media are saying, and if it is, then I have found most people quickly learn resilience when faced with bad situations. Obviously medical supplies are a real concern to those relying on them (as do I albeit in a life-limiting rather than life threatening way) but I can't do a great deal about that so I try to limit my preps. to those things I can do something about, so my stocks are slightly more than normal for winter, but I'm certainly not contemplating a complete breakdown of society.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Similar experience to us Dreaming, young family in the 1970s, one income as I was a stay at home mum, mortgage interest at 17 1/2% and much imagination and ingenuity needed to make ends meet and give us a fairly decent life so I took advantage of sales, made sure that if there was any housekeeping left at the end of the week it went into 'futures' of food or clothes/shoes, cleaning or bathroom stores and we never went without because life was planned round what we 'did' have not lived without things. Both my girls have grown up with a similar outlook and make sure of good stock cupboards and buy in sales and buy ahead for the grandchildren to make sure life is afforded without going into debt. It just makes sense doesn't it?
  • Jakekg
    Jakekg Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Gosh this thread is all a bit scary for my born in the 90s never had a power cut self.

That being said, I've started stoking up on some basic toiletries and bits and bobs I think may rise in price and am have found the wonders of frozen fruit/veg.

My main concern is supply of my meds and the general price of living. I just about manage with £100 spare a month now, but I can see that dwindle quickly especially if my rent is forced up too.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Jakekg wrote: »
    Gosh this thread is all a bit scary for my born in the 90s never had a power cut self.

That being said, I've started stoking up on some basic toiletries and bits and bobs I think may rise in price and am have found the wonders of frozen fruit/veg.

My main concern is supply of my meds and the general price of living. I just about manage with £100 spare a month now, but I can see that dwindle quickly especially if my rent is forced up too.

Try not to panic.....but I think you may be right. I think the cost of living will rise. I think it's inevitable,

Whilst stocks and supplies will, I'm sure, eventually be ok in the longer term, I tend to think they may well be price rises, not least because sterling might be weak for a while and so much if what we buy is imported.

Over time prices will probably stabilise but I think some strategic short term planning is called for. So, if you have a bit of spare cash and a bit of space it's not a bad idea to stock up with some non perishables.

I live alone so don't need to stock up for Armageddon but I will be buying a few extra bits and pieces over the next few weeks.
  • Jakekg
    Jakekg Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I'm doing a big shop today so have made a list of things to buy extras of that won't go off (pasta , rice, pulses) and things I could always need (lightbulbs, batteries, etc.)

I've also just been told I need to apply for EU Settlement, as does my Dad who has brain damage. So that's £130 gone - it'll be reimbursed by work in my Feb paycheck (assuming we're accepted) but that's a chunk of money gone on nothing. :(
  • News on the TV this morning was saying that the government has plans to charter many ferries to bring goods into the UK to many different ports around our coastline in the eventuality of a No Deal Brexit to try to avoid congestion in the main importing ports that deal with the majority of goods imported now. That doesn't seem a daft idea but will undoubtedly cause greater lorry traffic in areas that aren't used to it and may cause problems on smaller roads from smaller ports.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback