Fake HMRC rebate text message

Last night I received what looked like a fake text message from HMRC about a rebate I am due. Obviously I didn't click the link in it, which I suspect would then want my bank account details for the payment to be processed.

Obviously I cannot know for sure where the smishers got my mobile number from.

Earlier in the day I used the mobile to call Saga. I've mentioned the text message to them but was told they have procedures in place to protect client data.

Simple question has anybody recently had a fake text message from HMRC on a mobile they have used to call Saga?

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 September 2019 at 7:42PM
    No but I just deleted one to my email

You have received this email to be notified that HMRC has recalculate your fiscal activity and you are eligible to receive a tax refund of £548.57 GBP.

If you want to claim your annual tax refund online you have to complete a required form with your personal information. If you refuse to complete the required form now , you will not be able to claim your annual tax refund online.

Action Required: Refund Number - xxxxx
    Details
    Refund xxxxx
    Refund summary
    Annual Tax Refund xxxx

Issuing date: 8/27/2019
    Expiration date: 8/28/2019
    Amount: £548.57

Claim Your Tax

Expires: August 28,2019
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Last night I received what looked like a fake text message from HMRC about a rebate I am due. Obviously I didn't click the link in it, which I suspect would then want my bank account details for the payment to be processed.

Earlier in the day I used the mobile to call Saga. I've mentioned the text message to them but was told they have procedures in place to protect client data.

Simple question has anybody recently had a fake text message from HMRC on a mobile they have used to call Saga?

It could be a randomly computer generated text.
    Please NEVER click on a link supposedly from ANY Government department, always go via the Gov.uknwebsite or check for a phone number via a legitimate ate organization such as directory enquiries.
    I had a phone call recently supposedly from BT re my broadband.
    When I said I would check their details and call them back on a verified BT number, the caller rang off.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    These are sent out by the millions, nothing to link it to Saga. I am choosy as to who I give my mobile number to, but I still get some spam texts and calls.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • hpuse
    hpuse Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would not panic.
    Now a days, any TDH can create a computer program without owning a computer and sadly they are 'free' to the masses.
    These programs scraps UK mobile numbers (or emails) from umpteen number of leaked customer databases available out there on the internet and can send text messages/email in fairly no time.
    Ah!, thanks to the technology advancements!

• TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Also, the chancescare these days that unless you file a tax return under self-assessment, you shouldn't be normally due a refund unless you had an irregular March salary as your tax code is supposed to vary throughout the year to prevent you owing / being owed at the end of the tax year.

HMRC will never email or ring you about a debt without writing to you first. If you do get a phonecall, tell them you hadn't received a letter if you heard nothing before about it (unless you've recently moved). If in doubt ask them to write to you again or amend your tax code, but don't give any details.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family