Transfering television recordings from Humax freesat. box

Options
pamsdish
pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
edited 20 September 2019 at 12:50PM in Techie Stuff
I have as stated a Humax freesat box on which I record t.v. programmes, some are interesting enough to want to save, I have tried previously to transfer onto a usb. I am not techno informed enough to do this 68 yrs old, old dog new tricks etc,
I have however had problems with my t.v, connection to box, thinking I would have to replace t.v. and after looking at new sets, many connect via hdmi cable, my problem was scart, so tried hdmi between box and tv , brilliant problem solved.
That made me think, would it be possible to unplug tv hdmi end and connect to my laptop and transfer from box to laptop, or even directly to my portable harddrive.
Do I need it or just want it.

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I think it is the format in which the TV programmes are saved that is the issue. I researched this a while ago so maybe things have moved on.

You can change your title if you hit the edit button and Go Advanced.
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    Which Humax Box is it?
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    If your Humax has a USB slot in the front, transfer the recordings to a USB memory stick and then to your computer.

The standard definition recordings “just work”. HD recordings are encrypted to your recorder, I think all early Humax might use the same encryption technique. There was a trick listed elsewhere on the web to work around saving HD. I’ve saved a few but it was months ago, and my memory isn’t that good, but it worked fine.
  • pamsdish
    Options
    Which Humax Box is it?

Humax foxsat-hdr.
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    OK then if you bear with me I will give you links to the custom firmware for the foxsat - you can do a lot with that
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    OK I have used this for years and it is makes the FoxHDR awesome.

The link here is for the last part (This thread has been going for ages) and the download link is halfway down the first post https://www.avforums.com/threads/media-file-server-bundle-for-the-foxsat-hdr-release-4-part-6.2024876/
    read the post and the the readme with the download.

Also you can copy HD programs which you have recorded after installing(there is a patch to stop the HDR encrypting) , but NOT older recordings

You can set up a web interface to the HDR, ftp, interact with the box's settings Scheduled, NOW and 7 day programme lists ...it is too long to list it all.
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    If the download link is down then there is another one https://hummy.tv/forum/forums/foxsat-hdr-customised-firmware.38/
  • capital0ne
    Options
    It's a little bit complicated to use your HUMAX Frresat box buy a cheap one from Amazon like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Satellite-Receiver-Receive-Freesat-Stations-Black/dp/B06XTC7ZQZ/

Then these record direct to a usb device and you can payback on your pc or any other device.

I do this and convert them to mp4 files with ffmpeg - simples!
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As has been said, you could transfer some programmes to a USB device, but not HD. The USB-recorded content will be at 720p and if you're OK with that, go ahead. But if you are expecting playback on another TV or device to be at HD level - no.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • pamsdish
    Options
    As I said in my original post I have tried to transfer to USB but that didn`t want to happen, probably because H.D.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport