Used car faulty within 24 hrs

Hi,

I purchased a used Jaguar XF, I picked up the 66 Plate, 2.0 diesel on Sunday afternoon the cars covered 24k miles. On the way home from work on Monday afternoon (24 hours after I got the car) the engine warning light has come on). The Car seemed to drive fine but I contacted Jaguar assist, they were really good and sent an AA van to me within 20 mins. The AA mechanic was doing diagnosis with Jaguar on the phone for about an hour but in the end couldn’t find the fault with the car but said it needed to go to Jaguar and they would arrange for a courtesy car for me (which they did).

Jaguar are investigating the fault and are fitting replacement parts tomorrow to try and fix it by process of elimination.

When I purchased the car the garage said they’d do a check on the car and replace any items that needed changing. Jaguar have done a health check on the car and adviced that all discs and pads are low and corroded and need replacing. I’ve spoke to the garage and they’ve said they noted that the brakes Were low but they work to MOT standards so didn’t replace them.

Do I have any rights Under the consumer rights act to return the Car? I don’t want to be stuck with a ‘pup’ that continues to have faults, the Jaguar warranty runs out this month and the additional warranty the dealer has provided I doubt would be anywhere near as good as Jaguar’s, and I wouldn’t get a courtesy car. I’ve asked Jaguar if they can tell me what faults the car has had to see if it’s been in numerous times for engine issues, but they’re saying they don’t have access to that information.

I’ve spoken to the garage via phone (and email so there is a written audit trail), and they’re aware of the issues with the engine light and want to be kept up to date.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Disks and pads are "low" how "low"? These are consumable items. If they meet MOT standard you have no cause for complaint.
    Your car is being repaired, you have no grounds to reject it.

Might be worth trying to speak with previous owner? Perhaps his/her details are in the documentation you have?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Brakes are a consumable along with tyres and other parts.

Unless they are below the legally required standard they are down to you to replace when necessary.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If they fail to repair it, ie, it comes back to you and the fault reoccurs, you will have grounds for rejection.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,505 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    24k in almost 3 years isn't a lot for a diesel. It may well be wrecking itself due to lack of use and uncompleted DPF regeneration cycles.

I hope you bought it because you do tens of thousands of miles a year, if not the problems may well persist.

I had a Jag diesel which I had to sell quickly once my annual mileage reduced. The low mileage was killing it.

Was this car bought from a Jag dealer?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Did you check the service record? If not up to date, then your remaining warranty will be worthless anyway.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    motorguy wrote: »
    If they fail to repair it, ie, it comes back to you and the a fault reoccurs, you will have grounds for rejection.

Fixed that for you ... it doesn't need to be the same fault; any significant defect making the goods not conform to contract after a single repair attempt enables the consumer to exercise their Final Right To Reject. :)
  • Car was bought from an independent garage.

Car has full Jaguar service history.

I do approx 18-20k miles a year.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    DoaM wrote: »
    Fixed that for you ... it doesn't need to be the same fault; any significant defect making the goods not conform to contract after a single repair attempt enables the consumer to exercise their Final Right To Reject. :)

Yes, its worth highlighting and knowing that important distinction.

:beer:
  • Do I have to give the supplier chance to rectify the fault? Or can I simple refuse the car and ask for my money back?
  • F1F93
    F1F93 Posts: 366 Forumite
    borat_1234 wrote: »
    Do I have to give the supplier chance to rectify the fault? Or can I simple refuse the car and ask for my money back?

No, you have to give them a chance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport