PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Friday 20th September 2019

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 20 September 2019 at 6:26AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Friday 20th September 2019

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them, those who are poorly and those who are looking after a poorly person x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now getting light, dry underfoot but air is chilly to start - sun is forecast.

DH now getting ready for work, DS1 still in his pit, and I'm showered, dressed and enjoying my first cuppa and my porridge. DS2 settled and ok.

Dinner last night was chicken and leek pie, chips, mushy peas and gravy for the menfolk. I had a mushroom and cheese parcel with veg, and I found a few potato croquettes in the bottom on the freezer so used those up. Tonight will be an easy dinner which I'll sort when I do the shopping this morning.

I'll be going to do the food shopping first thing, then need to do some ironing, and some other jobs.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Options
    Morning everyone

I had a really enjoyable shopping trip yesterday and managed to get a couple of bargains in a small independent gift shop that had a sale on, they will be ideal gifts for my niece and sister in law. We had a lovely meal and wander through the park before getting the train back home.

Back to reality today, a day of housework and continuing sorting out my winter clothes.

My niece and her boyfriend may come over this evening and I think it is to tell me that they are going to move in together. I hope so, because he is a really nice kind man and I think that he will treat her well.

Specky I’m volunteering at a museum. I do all sorts of things, from talking to visitors and handing out information, I helped a curator to catalogue some exhibits last week. We have a lot of school visits and I have been in the office sorting these out, so it is really varied. Very interesting and something I didn’t think would ever appeal to me.

Thinking of those who are finding life difficult right now xx

I hope that you all have a good day xx
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Thinking of you taff I hope you're taking care of you too xx[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm refusing to cook on the hob. A couple of days ago, it was clean. Since then, a fry-up was made – I've said lots of times that fry means cook-in-oil, not must-turn-the-gas-as-high-as-it'll-go-so-it-splatters-everywhere, but no-one listens. Beetroot was left to boil over, and BBQ sauce was made then dribbled all over the place. The hob is filthy and I can't stand it but I WILL NOT CLEAN IT. My three tiier steamer lives on the hob (I had the idea that leaving it out would encourage all of us to use it, instead of boiling all the vitamins out of veg – it works, lol). And that's splattered with everything too. Gggrrrr.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Mr tru is off out with his mate today so I have peace and quiet. He's been off work all week, it started as a migraine and ended up with palpitations, dizziness and numb/tingling hands and feet. Doc said it was stress and gave him some tablets and told him to do nothing for the rest of the week. The tablets are ridiculously expensive (£80 for 6) so he's only allowed to prescribe one box at a time, though he thinks he'll need more so he's going to get another lot ready if mr tru rings for some.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Mr tru has tried to carry on as normal (apart from going to work) and was sorting a meeting he was supposed to be leading last night. I said he should hand it over to someone else because the doc said XYZ, and he accused me of adding to his stress. So I said 'do what you £$%^%!$ like, the life insurance is up to date so I'll be fine' then I flounced. Trying to flounce with a limp isn't easy, but I did it. He didn't go to the meeting but still got involved (by phone) and has also been chatting about work things. He should turn that damn phone off, most stressy things seem to come through it – if they can't contact him, he can't worry about things – most of which can be sorted by other people if they just put their brain in gear for a second.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]So today I have no plans, except for enjoying the peace :D[/FONT]
    Bulletproof
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good morning chums all packed and nearly time for my last breakfast before the coach goes at 9.30 for the long trek homewards.
    Had a nice break and managed to get a few things for my grandchildren ,just small bits and pieces ,really haven't spent a great deal but had a nice week.
    Reality will soon be normality again and no more breakfasts and dinners cooked and washed up for me or beds made :) but in a strange way I do like a normal run of the mill life at times.and a bit of routine is nice.
    Hope everyone has a good day and <<hugs>> for those who are having a tough or lonely time at the moment.

Good to hear that you are enjoying life a bit more Holly and recovering.

I saw so many folk in our hotel who were really grouchy and grumpy and did not seem to be enjoying life at all,yet there was one super couple he was in a wheelchair and has Parkinson's plus dementia and his lovely wife was so caring bless her and she made sure that they both had a good time .Last night there was a singer and entertainer in the hotel and she wheeled him onto the dance floor and danced holding his hand while he sat and beamed at her and you could see how much love there was between them We joined them and jigged around with the pair of them yet there were able bodied couples who just sat and looked thoroughly disapproving of both them and Margaret and I.But we didn't care we weren't going to let their grumpiness spoil the evening .
    His wife was telling us that when he was well they loved dancing and she said as long as I can keep Harry happy then I am happy as well.
    A smashing lady and her husband obviously adored her.It really showed in his face as his eyes were always on her.It quite made our week meeting them. To her he was still her Harry even though he no longer could walk or even talk very well his smile when he looked at her told you everything.
    Right well time to get a wriggle on and breakfast beautifully cooked is the next on the list of to-do things .

hope everyone has a good day and the sun shines down on you all
    Cheers chums

JackieO xx
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,031 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all.

Had a busy'ish day even though my knee and hip pain was off the scale. Firstly DM's cleaner arrived and did her stuff whilst I did a bit of my part time job. She's not having her op as soon as I thought so she's back next week at least. Then I 'supervised' DM making her pasta lunch which took so long that her visitors arrived just after she started to eat. I entertained them for a wee while as she ate.

I called the Social Work people trying to nudge about respite care - well you'd have thought I was trying to rob them and waste their time. Seems I was told to approach the wrong dept and the worker was outraged with me! Eventually a manager phoned me, explained things and apologised. Did stop me feeling bad.

Anyway, I've decided to take action about my knee and hip. Plans are afoot.

Plans are also afoot for my getaway. :j A friend asked if I'd packed yet, as all of my clothes are at my home there's nothing much to pack. Just myself and gadgets.

Holly - your volunteering sounds really interesting and fulfilling.

JackieO - sounds as if you've had a good time with Margaret. Yes, some people are so miserable and judgemental in their latter years.

Tru - be steadfast. Seems as if previous lessons haven't been remembered by your family.

The fog is clearing here and the sun may come out. I wish everyone a sunny day and a happy Friday.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Good morning and happy Friday!!

I left work sharp to watch the football at home, only to see I misread the kick off time, so I had a couple of extra hours to myself which I spent on the phone with my gran and my mate (separately, of course). By the time the game finished, it was bed time.

Worryingly, my alarm didn't go off properly, so I didn't wake up till 7am. Thus, no gym this morning and a visit post work is required. Aside form that, no plans for this evening, or this weekend as it stands actually. So I think i'll make an effort to be productive with my time. Not sure what that will entail but I'm in that kind of mindset.

Any excuse to make another list!!

HH - That's excellent and it does indeed sound very varied. Hope your niece has the good news you're expecting.
    Tru - I'm sorry to hear Mr Tru is stressing. I assume then that the tablets are helping him?
    Jackie - A lovely little story, I'm glad you shared that, thank you. Safe travels home.
    Gers - Are you going to see a physio?
  • ancientofdays
    Options
    Morning everyone and another beautiful day, my first load of washing is on the line.

Taff, thinking of you and your family.

JackieO your break sounds lovely, I think some people just like being miserable and perhaps they are too closed-minded to appreciate others having fun.

Tru, your hob and my hob are twins, the bespatterers have been at it again here, it will clean it when I want to use it. How is it that I can produce a full meal requiring just a quick wipe round and 'others' seek to spread chaos with one snack?

Gets I hope you have a good break.Holly, that sounds really interesting.

Yesterday I went to the launch of a support package for families I will work with. There was a lunch afterwards but a former colleague, one of my supervises, was there and I came back with her so we didn't bother with that part. We did have a piece of rather nice cake though. I'm all caked out, we had cake for the mister's birthday and my son is working on mastery of various cakes and breads.

Today is free, I will do some tidying up but not the full Friday Tidy as I've other things to get done.

Hope everyone has a good day
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,585 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Holly, that sounds much more interesting than the general volunteering job.

Gers, I hope you have a good break.

Speky, Rangers did well last night (my team MU won but made heavy weather of us).

We've got a quiz tonight with friends. There is food but it's baked potato and chilli so I am going to take my own topping in case there is red or green pepper in the chilli because it makes me ill.

After that we have to go and pick Chris and Crystal up from the airport so we will be losing Tibs the cat. She's been much more sociable than any other time she's stayed.

Tomorrow I have a course on my overlocker so hopefully I will become more comfortable with using it.
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. Once again it's profuse apologies from me as I seem to keep going AWOL these days. RL and memories keep bombarding me.

The house is like a disaster zone after having the 3 DGDs sleeping and sorting for school for the last two days. It'll be a quick Friday Tidy as the two younger ones are back again tomorrow for the day and another sleepover whilst DD and BF go to a wedding near York. Eldest DGD will be with her other gran helping on the stall she is having at a craft fayre. I love having them here as they soon cheer me up.

The WM is on its last lap and I will peg that lot out when it finishes. Hanging out days may soon be coming to an end as the weatherman says it's downhill from Sunday and autumn will be with us. It's been lovely to have the warm sunshine back with us this week and I have actually sat out in the garden reading a couple of afternoons.

I don't think I reported the outcome of my appointment with the Vascular surgeon 2 weeks ago. He has referred me for an MRI scan (appt received for 1st Oct) and wrote to my GP about changing various of my meds which may (or may not!) help I saw her this week and now on a new regime of tablets. So far no side effects. She has decided to leave my BP meds alone as she thinks changing those may end up making it worse rather than better! It's always been difficult to control.

I had a nasty accident yesterday with some boiling liquid. My leg was red raw and despite running under cold water and keeping a cold compress on it I have ended up with a big blister. Boy did it hurt.

Well the wm has done it's thing so I will get that pegged out and feed the birdies whilst I am out there. Take care all with ((HUGS)) for the poorlies, sad, worried or lonely. xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy Friday Everyone,

Off to work shortly . Then when I get back some work and paperwork to do.

Saturday will be washing and housework. Sunday we are off out for Sunday lunch , just me and the OH. I am trying out new pubs nearer to where we live, as the ones we used to go to were near my moms house, and I really do not feel up revisiting that area yet.

Have a good Friday everyone.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone :hello:

It's a beautiful sunny day here, feels like Summer is having a last hurrah before Autumn is properly here. Steve has booked the day off due to my anxieties about having some workmen around so I am very happy to have some company today.

Lee has gone off to an 'ice breaker' day at college. He is looking forward to it so that is great. Phoebe is working and I think Lilly is in bed. I wasn't sure if she came home last night but Phoebe said she heard her in the early hours.

Holly, your job sounds lovely and it is great to find something you are good at and enjoy xx
    TA, I know what you mean about how having the grandchildren will cheer you up, I love seeing mine come bursting through the door xx
    Gers, I am glad you got an apology from social services, it is hard enough to try and get help without some jumped up official talking to you as though you were stupid. I hope your mum continues to improve and you get some time at home xx

Steve has tidied up and run the hoover round and we have the first of many loads of washing just finishing in the machine. I have ordered a new duvet as ours has definitely seen better days. Argos are delivering it this afternoon so that will be something to look forward to tonight.

Spaghetti and meatballs for dinner tonight and there is leftover cheesecake for those who want some dessert. I won't be partaking as I have my weigh in tomorrow morning and I have my fingers crossed for another loss.

Hope you all have a lovely afternoon whatever you are doing, take care xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport