We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Wintering in conservatory vs plastic greenhouse

DD265
DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Starting to think about what to do with my plants over winter - they're all potted. I'm mainly concerned with the young dwarf peach and nectarine trees, and two bay saplings.

We have a conservatory which gets very cold, so the door to the house will mostly be shut over winter. We'll warm it up for meals only, so I'm not sure how big an issue the changing temperatures will be. Alternatively, I can get a plastic green house - no where to put a full size one and I don't think I can stretch to a small wooden framed one this year.

Will the conservatory be OK?

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    The conservatory will be warmer than a plastic greenhouse due to heat loss from the house itself, and although widely fluctuating temperatures aren't good, they happen anyway with small greenhouses on sunny days.

The fruit trees might have their pots wrapped with bubble plastic if you are in a cold area, like a frost pocket or at altitude. The bay will probably be fine. Both could be covered over with fleece on really cold nights, which is all I use in my polytunnel.
  • I think the conservatory would be better than a plastic greenhouse. You could get some fleece or something to insulate the plants and/or get one of those really cheap electric heaters and leave on a low setting when needed

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • i'm going to have to get quicker at typing...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you both, will put extra bubble wrap and fleece on my shopping list!
  • Morbier
    Morbier Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Don't forget to keep an eye out for insects, creepy-crawlies etc that are currently living in your pots. I once bought some geraniums indoors for the winter and the resident family of slugs and their babies decided to pop out and have a look round when they felt the warmer temperature. :eek:

Never bought an outdoors plant in again - mine all go in the garage/shed now.

Alternatively, you could put your outdoor plants into new pots/compost just before you bring them inside?
    I can't imagine a life without cheese. (Nigel Slater)
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Your conservatory may be cold in winter but I think it will still offer better frost protection than a plastic greenhouse. I would go along with having some sheets of fleece to drape over your more vulnerable plants on cold nights. If you don,t really have permanent space for a plastic greenhouse it could end up being more of a nuisance than a long term benefit so better to make use of the facilities you already have.

Try and keep the plants away from the cold glass at night though if you can.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Morbier wrote: »

Alternatively, you could put your outdoor plants into new pots/compost just before you bring them inside?
    I swap-out the compost of many vulnerable potted plants as a matter of course in late autumn. It's not slugs that are the greatest menace here, but vine weevil larvae.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The conservatory will be much better than the plastic greenhouse. Keep a thermometer in the conservatory, so long has it doesn't drop below freezing it will be fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure