Has anyone ordered from lightinthebox?

Comments

• lindaatno9
    lindaatno9 Posts: 2,092 Forumite
    DMPDarling wrote: »

I understand the message you are trying to get across, and that you are trying to promote your own UK industry, all three of my sisters had their dresses hand made by a wonderful local seamstress and they were beutiful - but please bear in mind this is a forum about money saving weddings, many brides here, including me, are trying to get married on a shoestring, and that can mean that there just isn't the budget for a £1,000 hand made dress, otherwise I would have gone to the same seamstress as my sisters, sites like Milly and Landy mean that I have chance to look fantastic on my wedding day for £150.

Couldn't agree with you more, but lets not forget, there are seamstresses out there that aren't very good either! Blimey, £1,000 for handmade. I am tooo cheap lol. My costings have NEVER come in anywhere near that. How I like to save money is to send someone into a store and try on very expensive gowns. Then, after passing on the wholesale fabric price to the customer, i charge my fee (which has rarely come in over £500. This sometimes enables me to use fine silks!)
    What my bug bear is with these companys is, the copyright issues. Desingners work so hard to come up with ideas and these companies rip them off. On occasion, the quality of the fabrics is poor and quality is shoody. I stress, ON OCCASION. I wouldn't let anything out of my door that I wasn't 110% proud of. What I find hard to understand is, this is the most important day of a girls life, so to have the attitude, if it's no good I'll buy another 5 is not an efficiant way to save money if you are using these people to do exactly that.
    My opinion and totally no intention to aggrivate.
  • Some people have not had very good experiences with companies similar to lightinthebox, but I'm not one of them. I'm working on a budget but despite going to numerous shops I couldn't find the dress I wanted (for a plus size bride getting married abroad) so on a recommendation frm a good friend of mine,who had her dress made by them, I ordered my wedding dress from lightinthebox.

Had no problems ordering, great communication with them throughout the whole process and the dress arrived within 3 weeks. Took it out of the box and it was beautiful, fabric was of good quality, fitted like a glove and couldn't fault the workmanship at all. I ordered my bridesmaid dresses from them as well.

If I could have afforded my dress to be handmade here I would have done it as the range and designs of dresses for a plus size brides in the UK isn't great I would have had to have ordered it from the US anyway.

Yes you take a risk but you do that in life anyway and I wouldn't want to deprive anyone from earning a living but for me it was about the cost. I took the risk and it paid off for me.:j
    Getting married December 2009 in the Caribbean!
  • nat82
    nat82 Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    That's great phatgurl, glad your dress is perfect! It's good to hear reports!
  • kelda_shelton
    kelda_shelton Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I emailed light in the box for quitea big order asking for some info before I placed an order.... the site gave me a reference no and emailed me with the details automatically.. It says they would get back to me in 2 days. - 12 weeks later.. still waiting!

I went with Gianni Bridal who so afr have been fabby!
  • Lightinthebox.com is located in Beijing of China. it's awesome. These are a lot of good sites like it, like DealExtreme, UxSight, ChinaViasion, Uxcell & more they are all great.It's a good idea to make deal with them!
    Only Tears Left :confused:
  • You will not get after sales/customer support once you pay for your item/s.

Bought a phone in december 2008 for over 300 dollars and a month later the phone is confirmed to the loft. I had series of problems ranging from trying to get information about the operating system of the phone to short talk-time (2 minutes) baterry life. The manual accompanying the phone was pretty useless!!

Go to complaints.com and google complain about lightinthebox.com. Avoid sweet reviews from wholesalers' website.

Avoid them like a plague. Apparently they re-invented themselves as lightinthebox because of bad publicity and some USA law suits.
  • Lightinthebox.com is located in Beijing of China. it's awesome. These are a lot of good sites like it, like DealExtreme, UxSight, ChinaViasion, Uxcell & more they are all great.It's a good idea to make deal with them!

You sound like Chinesse wholesaler's sales person. But have you ever bought anything from this site??? And if yes, did you get after sales support??? You probably did not.
    People like you come to a good website like this one offering EXCELLENT advise to consumers - I do not think you are not welcome here!!!
  • has anyone bought a wedding dress recently from any of the Chinese sites advertising through ebay?The dress I have seen retails at over £1000 but they promise to make it for £199.00 is it too good to be true?
  • Herbiecat
    Herbiecat Posts: 438 Forumite
    Louiseod wrote: »
    has anyone bought a wedding dress recently from any of the Chinese sites advertising through ebay?The dress I have seen retails at over £1000 but they promise to make it for £199.00 is it too good to be true?

Have a look at the Landy thread, theres loads of info on there about chinese sites.
  • Do not use lightinthebox.com.

I ordered a custom made bridesmaid dress, which was so small a child could hardly fit into it. They would not give me a refund or replacement because it had been custom made (although the measurements on the dress were clearly wrong) but offered me free shipping.

To get the free shipping all I had to do was wire the money via PayPal and give details on exactly what dress I wanted, which I did two weeks ago. I have heard nothing from them and the wedding is in 8 weeks.

If you want a stress free experience, choose another supplier.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback