What purpose for loan do i state?

Options
benbay001
benbay001 Posts: 408 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
Hi,

I will soon be looking for a loan.
I intend to take out the loan in September, with the intention of buying a car.

However, I am likely to:

1) Not spend the full amount of the loan.
2) Potentially not use the money until March 2020.

Also, I don't want the car to be security for the loan as it adds complexity if the loan isn't paid off and i want to sell it.

Thanks.
Im A Budding Neil Woodford.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    Options
    The car won't and can't be security for the loan unless you're applying for a specific vehicle secured loan.

Put car as the reason, but also leave it until you need it. That will both reduce the interest you pay and the amount you need to borrow.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    My brother has taken a loan for a car and moved the money to an interest paying account while he looks.

Would you not be better off waiting a few months before applying for the loan, especially as you do not want to use it until next year?
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just state that the loan is for a car.

Not sure why you need to apply for the loan 6 months before you actually need the money...is it because you cannot afford the loan and need to use the loaned money to make the loan payments for 6 months?
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    Options
    Why not save up until you need the loan then you will have reduced the amount you need to borrow.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• benbay001
    Options
    Thanks, ill put that the money is for a car.

As i said, potentially not buying until March 2020.
    Reason being, the car i am after (a manual Corvette) is very rare and when one comes up at a good price, it sells within days, so i need to be in a position to go and buy it as soon as one is advertised at a good price.
  • DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,347 Forumite
    Options
    benbay001 wrote: »
    Thanks, ill put that the money is for a car.

As i said, potentially not buying until March 2020.
    Reason being, the car i am after (a manual Corvette) is very rare and when one comes up at a good price, it sells within days, so i need to be in a position to go and buy it as soon as one is advertised at a good price.

Can you not just leave a deposit...?
  • benbay001
    Options
    And what if the loan doesn't get approved, or is at a rate im not happy with?

I want to know that i can borrow the money at a good rate, before i start car hunting.

I am more than happy to accept the £400 of interest i will pay, for borrowing £15k for 6 months longer than i potentially would, besides i hope to have bought long before 6 months.

Anyway, my question has been answered. Thanks all.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd save up so when you come to look for a loan you don't need to borrow as much.

Have you factored in cost of insurance/tax/petrol etc into your monthly budget ?
  • DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,347 Forumite
    Options
    benbay001 wrote: »
    And what if the loan doesn't get approved, or is at a rate im not happy with?

I want to know that i can borrow the money at a good rate, before i start car hunting.

I am more than happy to accept the £400 of interest i will pay, for borrowing £15k for 6 months longer than i potentially would, besides i hope to have bought long before 6 months.

Anyway, my question has been answered. Thanks all.

But if you accept the loan will cost you £400 to borrow early, then only leave a £400 deposit. Could even try £250.

Unlike the loan that will cost you more either way, the deposit will only be lost if you end up not buying the car. If you do, it won't cost you any more. Placing a deposit would leave you in either the same, or better situation.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    I'd save up so when you come to look for a loan you don't need to borrow as much.

Have you factored in cost of insurance/tax/petrol etc into your monthly budget ?

The insurance tends to be quite cheap, believe it or not, as I looked into getting a classic Mustang ;)
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure