Barclays Tax Beater Cash ISA - experiences so far (merged)

Options

Comments

• Suzey
    Suzey Posts: 2,714 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for this - I'll prepare myself before I go!

Let us know how long it takes for the paperwork to come through.

Suze

Pinklepurr wrote: »
    Ditto! Mty DH queued the whole of his lunchbreak last Friday to open one and got exactly the same. The advisor tried selling him a mortgage and current account and home insurance and wanted to know his salary. My DH challenged him on this as he thought it wasn't relevent. I suspect they will use all the info for marketing purposes so I expect junk mail to follow. I hope the account works smoothly. No paperwork received from them as yet.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Suzey
    Options
    Sounds alright - hope my experience is similar to yours. I absolutely hate dealing with bank staff these days - most of them don't even know what products they're meant to be selling - so the quicker I'm in and out of there the better I reckon.

Suze

fbrj wrote: »
    My experience was rather different. I went to our local Barclays on Monday 19th. I was one of the first through the door on opening and was immediately directed to an advisor [ie not a cashier]. I had 2 applications, one for my wife who banks at Barclays (although at a different branch) and one for me - both for 2006/07. We had completed all the paperwork beforehand and I went equipped with my passport and a council tax bill. Each application was checked line by line and then signed off. Our ID paperwork was then copied and returned. There was no question of selling any other product apart from an enquiry about an ISA for 2007/08; I don't think I was in the branch for more than 10 minutes altogether.

As yet nothing has been received through the post.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Suzey
    Options
    Eeek... did they give you a contact number at least so that you can check the progress??

Suze

thumshie wrote: »
    Went into branch on tuesday 20th with form printed out, with id(don't bank with them).. After a wait to see an advisor it went pretty quickly, photocopied id. Not received anything yet(infact nothing was given to me by advisor-i.e. receipt) and cheque not been cashed...just slightly concerned...
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I went to a Barclays Bank and not being a customer of theres I found the entire experience very quick and not once did the advisor try to sell me other products. I am still awaiting something in the post but would give them every recommendation based on my experience.
  • Midas
    Midas Posts: 596 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the application form available on the website to print out? I can't find it anywhere, only the online applications bit...
    Midas.
  • Suzey
    Options
    I think I read on someone's post that you have to fill it in online and then print it out at the end.

Suze

Midas wrote: »
    Is the application form available on the website to print out? I can't find it anywhere, only the online applications bit...
  • hereford_2
    Options
    That's right.

You fill it in on line, and the final option is to print it.
  • ukdutypaid
    ukdutypaid Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Quick and painless for me.. Filled in the form, omitting my home phone number. Gave work swt. They'll get me if I want them to.
    I (pretended to) look(ed) as if I knew what I was talking about and kept looking at my watch. Sat down with a guy who will be on comms for each one he processes I suspect.
    Didn't ask for my ID....
    Had to ask him for a receipt of some kind (was giving him a cheque for 3K, after all), plus I wanted it in for 06/07.

My god though have you seen the auto opt in for we will contact you about other products (and their 3rd parties)..... You have to write to a Free post address. Auto opt in you understand. We had a "chat", abotu this as it was the day after the tv program.

Now't through post as yet though (it will be madness with the paper work they've got... Er not online because? All has to be done offline at some point I suppose. Although other banks manage online stuff, for short shelf life offers)

No pressure for any other products at the time..
    In out 15 mins. Holborn
    I'll let you know,.....
  • Suzey
    Options
    ukdutypaid wrote:
    Quick and painless for me.. Filled in the form, omitting my home phone number. Gave work swt. They'll get me if I want them to.
    I (pretended to) look(ed) as if I knew what I was talking about and kept looking at my watch. Sat down with a guy who will be on comms for each one he processes I suspect.
    Didn't ask for my ID....
    Had to ask him for a receipt of some kind (was giving him a cheque for 3K, after all), plus I wanted it in for 06/07.

Had to ask for a receipt? Blimey. Thank God I'm only giving them £1 to start off with!
    ukdutypaid wrote:
    My god though have you seen the auto opt in for we will contact you about other products (and their 3rd parties)..... You have to write to a Free post address. Auto opt in you understand.

I saw the auto opt-in but the address I saw on the form wasn't even a Freepost one!!!
    ukdutypaid wrote:
    No pressure for any other products at the time..
    In out 15 mins. Holborn
    I'll let you know,.....

Cool. If I can get out of work early enough, I'm going to try and get into a branch just before 5pm tomorrow when hopefully they'll just want to process me as quickly as possible and get me out of there.

Suze
  • bluejake
    bluejake Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    Seemed very old fashioned having to wait and then go into a little interview room with an advisor. Barclays need to modernise.

They haven't cashed my cheque yet after about a week. Hope they don't mess things up or lose my application and I only find out when it is too late to open an alternative ISA for this year..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure