Cost of a new build in northern ireland

Comments

• finally found a good forum thread on selfbuild!!! have been looking for a couple of days (ish).

thanks!:beer:

now, just need a bit of land and a good architect, oh and the money!:j
  • pgilc1 wrote: »
    Well since i originally posted, we moved into the house a year ago.

If you include the garage as part of the overall build, then the house came in at around 4,000 sq ft.

We put the contract out to tender to 8 builders, and went for the second cheapest, who came in at £68 a sq ft. He came recommended to us, and i have no regrets at all with out choice. I would go so far as to say he was superb - saved us money and didnt charge any 'fees' on top of the rates quoted by the spark and the plumber - we paid them direct. He also recommended tilers, places to get fittings, etc, etc. If anyones interested hes Gordon Murdock of Markethill and i can provide more details if you pm me.

The price included levellling the current dwelling, wood pellet central heating, underfloor heating upstairs and downstairs, bespoke stainless steel, wood and glass staircase and balcony, solar panels, painting of the whole of the inside of the house, solid floors upstairs and downstairs and quite a lot of natural stonework on the outside of the house.

In total, with kitchens, bathrooms, fireplace, tiling, floor coverings (mostly tiling downstairs) and the siteworks (which came to £23,000) so the house was totally finished, the price came out at £82 a square foot.

Key costs were heating system £30,000, staircase £9,000, windows £18,000, siteworks £23,000, electrics £11,000, domestic plumbing £8,000.

Before, during, and after...

DSC01199.jpg

DSC01245.jpg

IMG00026-20091029-1643.jpg

IMG00060-20100101-1505-1.jpg

165504_1563367851978_1468816603_1158036_7150391_n.jpg

Beautiful house Paul. Well done. Having gone through the process would you have made the same decision to self build knowing what you now know?
  • avenida
    avenida Posts: 486 Forumite
    One Word for your house .... WOW!!!!:T
  • A.L.D.A wrote: »
    From a heat loss point of view there are more external surface areas in a bungalow.
    Never really thought of it like that, but....what about the external walls? A 2 storey house has higher walls which release more heat than a longer well insulated roof on a single storey bungalow? (I don't really know the answer)
  • goodmaa
    goodmaa Posts: 10 Forumite
    I am hoping to build this year although I haven't put own house on the market yet as its so poor.

Can anyone give me an idea as to cost of 250m2 house with standard spec excluding electrical/plumbing work which I plan to pay seperate (family friends).

I am hoping sale of my own house will cover build cost.

Thanks

John
  • polpoo
    polpoo Posts: 63 Forumite
    Hi Goodma

Following on from the previous threads, i would allow about £70 per square foot to build (£175K) -this would exclude any costs associated with getting the site prepared (if required), bringing services to it and driveways etc.
    Heating and plumbing are approx £15-18K for a new house, ths leaving you with a cost of around £165K
  • goodmaa
    edited 11 January 2012 at 5:42PM
    Many thanks for that polpoo.

Would you recommend project managing the build myself or getting a builder to do it?
  • polpoo
    polpoo Posts: 63 Forumite
    Project managing it yourself can be rewarding but it can also be a bit of a nightmare especially if you lack time and experience. It would be up to you to co-ordinate trades, organise deliveries, look after site insurances etc and keep a close eye on the guys who turn up to do the work. This is very difficult if you are also trying to hold down a full time job. Personally I would get a main contractor to take charge of the build. You will need a good set of plans and specification so both of you are clear what is to be done. PM with your number if you like for a chat and I can talk you through the whole process.
  • A.L.D.A
    A.L.D.A Posts: 522 Forumite
    Agree with above. Unless you know, what you are doing, have experience in the building industry, and free time think twice before you try it.

You have safety on the site, insurance, co-ordinating a workforce that you probably do not know, ordering materials, equipment, service connections etc. It will be a steep learning curve. To take a very simple example of the sort of problems: will you be employing the trades on time or on a price for the job? If it is time what incentive to finish promptly? If on the job what is included? Do you provide power and attendance, who clears up ................? All it takes is one bad trade to make your life misery. Unlike a Contractor you probably have no experience of working with them and will be unlikely to be a source of future work. If anything goes wrong on site, say high winds blowing over gables or theft, you are responsible and suffer the loss.

Before you venture on that course consider obtaining tenders. For that you will need a good set of tender documents. They are in your interest and will probably save you money in the long run. The process of producing them also forces you to think of your requirements in advance. This also is beneficial. The more you remove uncertainty the better.

In the current economic climate you may obtain competitive quotes. Beware extremely low tenders. Check thoroughly before accepting. It is not just a matter of ensuring tenders add up, but analysing the rates and how the costs are distributed. You don't want to see high rates for the initial work and low rates on the finishing trades! Avoiding a contractor who runs into financial difficulty is currently an important consideration.

You could also tender out the construction of the shell of the building and try and co-ordinate the internal work and services. If you do try this make sure that you allow for all incoming services in the first part. Accurate location of toilet wastes, incoming electrical, water, etc.You will still find this a challenge, but much of the stress can be reduced if you allow plenty of time and thoroughly check the work of each trade each day. Like Polpoo I also would tend towards employing a builder with a good local reputation. I have seen some people build amazingly good houses using direct labour, but also ones who should never have tried in the first place. A realistic assessment of your own abilities, contacts and skills are required.
    [STRIKE]Less is more.[/STRIKE] No less is Less.
  • goodmaa
    edited 16 January 2012 at 2:57PM
    Thanks A.L.D.A.

I probably will go down the route of the following as relative is electrician and will get plumber seperate:-
    Build to be finished to 2nd fix and trimmed out.

Price to include all work as per working drawings excluding following:-

· All External/Internal electrical work excluding NIE associated works

· All plumbing work including Heating/Bathrooms and installation

· Supply and fit of Kitchen/Utility units

· Stove/fireplace and installation

· All external/internal painting

· All Floor/Wall Tiling

· Landscaping

Do you think this is a good idea to keep costs down as I am concerned sale of our house will not provide sufficient funds for the build and I dont want to mortgage myself to the hilt!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure