Executor accounts - necessary? And recommended banks?

Comments

• My sister and I have an executors account with Lloyds who advise that they can only accept cheques payable to The executors of the estate of ....
    which is causing a major problem as British Airways want to pay a refund into the closed account of the deceased person. Lloyds state that they cannot accept this payment and will return it.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    edited 13 September 2018 at 5:43AM
    kelloggs36 wrote: »
    My sister and I have an executors account with Lloyds who advise that they can only accept cheques payable to The executors of the estate of ....
    which is causing a major problem as British Airways want to pay a refund into the closed account of the deceased person. Lloyds state that they cannot accept this payment and will return it.

If you were to pay in the cheque, possibly into a personal account if you have not got a card for your executors account, using an automated paying-in machine rather than taking it to a cashier the payee name probably would not be checked. I would not like to say whether I would do this myself.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    My sister and I have an executors account with Lloyds who advise that they can only accept cheques payable to The executors of the estate of ....

When dealing with my late sister's estate, I was told by both HSBC and Santander that they would allow payments to be made into her account, even though they would 'freeze' the account on receipt of the death certificate.

I didn't need to test this as the only cheque received in her name was a vehicle tax refund cheque for £3.33.

It might be worth trying to pay into the deceased's account?
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Linton wrote: »
    If you were to pay in the cheque, possibly into a personal account if you have not got a card for your executors account, using an automated paying-in machine rather than taking it to a cashier the payee name probably would not be checked. I would not like to say whether I would do this myself.

they won't send a cheque - they will attempt to pay it back via that card that she used to make the original payment. Lloyds have put a note on their system in the hope that somebody will manually check it, but I was warned that it might be automated, in which case the payment will bounce so-to-speak and will be immediately returned to British Airways.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    they won't send a cheque - they will attempt to pay it back via that card that she used to make the original payment. Lloyds have put a note on their system in the hope that somebody will manually check it, but I was warned that it might be automated, in which case the payment will bounce so-to-speak and will be immediately returned to British Airways.

Why do some institutions have to be so inflexible? Particularly at such a difficult time:(
  • I opened an executors account when dealing with an estate with Santander as that was the bank of the deceased. No online access to view or do transactions, all payments had to be made by cheque and the branch had to go through enhanced security each time I wanted to do anything with the account, in person, due to it's special nature.

Was a hassle, especially on 2 occasions when the staff present didn't know what they were doing and fudged the security checks, locking the account down and I had to wait for a manager to be free to look into it.

I would still open an Executor's account if I ever go through it again, though maybe shop around and find out other bank's restrictions. It is such a seldom used thing that most tellers don't know about the intricacies involved.
  • KK14
    KK14 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Interesting to read about this as the executor of my late mother’s estate was told by his bank that he didn’t need to open a separate account & is using an account with his own personal name to store the money from my mother’s bank accounts & the house sale proceeds.

I have sought legal advice & been told that this should NOT be the case so we are trying to get the account name changed if at all possible.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Relative is an executor of an estate and opened an exor account with Barclays (where the deceased banked) a couple of months ago.

https://www.barclays.co.uk/content/dam/documents/personal/miscellaneous/Bereavement-guide.pdf

If you wish to open an Executor/Administrator account to assist with funds distribution of the estate then please book an appointment at your local Barclays branch.
    You will need to take with you the following documentation:
    • Original Grant of Probate/Letters of Administration
    • Valid identification for all executors named within the Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration.

From Natwest

https://supportcentre.natwest.com/Searchable/913244482/What-is-an-executor-account.htm
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    KK14 wrote: »
    Interesting to read about this as the executor of my late mother’s estate was told by his bank that he didn’t need to open a separate account & is using an account with his own personal name to store the money from my mother’s bank accounts & the house sale proceeds.

I have sought legal advice & been told that this should NOT be the case so we are trying to get the account name changed if at all possible.

It’s not illegal for an executor to do this, and many do because it is a pain to find a bank that will let you open one. It is only going to be a real problem if the executor loses capacity or dies before winding up the estate.
  • KK14
    KK14 Posts: 32 Forumite
    I have sought advice from 2 independent solicitors about this & both of them were perturbed that he was not using an executor bank account.
    I wouldn’t be too worried about it but he is proving to me very dodgy at the moment so I am trying to safeguard my share of the estate & the other beneficiaries too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback