People and liquids in hand luggage

Options
The liquid restrictions of bottles, tubes, aerosols etc 100ml or below and in a clear resealable bag have been in place since 2006.

So why do people think they can still take 1.5 litre bottle of water, 400ml bottle of shampoo, 200ml pot of hair gel through security?

My friend flew out last week and the guy in front of her had the above plus many more and he argued the toss with the security guy. No exceptions.

Then there are people that don't bother putting their liquids in a clear resealable bag. As there was a queue for the 'bubble gum type machine that dispenses a bag in a clear ball

Why do people think they can take large bottles etc through into security and why do some not bother to put toiletries etc into a clear bag?

These people cause unneeded delays to the security as it is.

Comments

• philatio
    philatio Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We noticed this going through security a couple of weeks ago. I'd say about 20% of people were (trying to) ignore the liquid rules.

Many people are stupid I'm afraid.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm disappointed, I thought this was going to be a thread about trying to smuggle people hidden in hand luggage.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I'm disappointed, I thought this was going to be a thread about trying to smuggle people hidden in hand luggage.

I am sure it has been tried:rotfl::rotfl:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • minimad1970
    minimad1970 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options

That would've been an interesting thread.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's not always stupidity. Parent's brother was taken ill abroad so she just booked a flight, threw her washbag etc into her hand luggage and set off.
    The 100ml rule, although she's fully aware of and usually abides by it, on this instance never crossed her mind till she got to security and it was too late.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it the entitled generation thinking they are different and can take whatever liquids they like.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    It's not always stupidity. Parent's brother was taken ill abroad so she just booked a flight, threw her washbag etc into her hand luggage and set off.
    The 100ml rule, although she's fully aware of and usually abides by it, on this instance never crossed her mind till she got to security and it was too late.

There are always excpetions to every rule. I'd say most of the people the OP refers to are not in the same situation that you mention and are simply trying it on. I'm also sure that in your situation, the person wasn't arguing the toss with the staff at security.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-32660135
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I wouldn't mind a delay being caused for people who have failed to 'bag' their liquids/gels, or want to argue the toss if their bottles are too big...........but I'd like them sent to a different queue so they only hold like minded nits up.

What I can't figure out is why I always get picked on to take my trainers off when no-one else has, & the full blown 'frisk' - they never fail to lift my top a little to run their hands round my waistband, treating a few behind me to the sight of my muffin top!!!
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    What worried me was the time I had taken a flight for a 2-day business trip (after a long sequence of longer trips where I had hold luggage) and just took a carry-on completely forgetting about the 100 ml rule. In my defence this was some years ago and just after the restriction was introduced. When the security man found my large tube of toothpaste out my bag, he threw it in a bin. I ducked!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure