PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Before you decide on the Kelly Kettle KARMA pop a search into Fleabay for a Folding Wood Stove, I have a MINI FIRE SPOUT which is stainless steel and 4 x sides which makes a portable stove that you can use anywhere there is the fuel. Mine has the option to buy two metal rods to slot in to support a kettle/pan and it will not only allow you to cook and heat water but is also useable as a 'space heater' to warm you up as long as you use it outside. People use them to warm up small areas of patio on cold nights. It might give you more flexibility than the Kelly kettle as it has the ability to burn for longer and therefore cook for longer. I find the Kelly kettle super for heating water for tea but have found the fire pot very small for cooking on in terms of how much fuel you can get into it and how long it stays alight for. In the Fleabay goods offered are many from China at far less then the Kelly kettle pricewise and the Fire Spouts on there are half the price of Kelly kettles. You may opt for the Kelly kettle but it's worth considering the alternatives too. My fire spout weighs just over a kilo and folds flat for transporting so it goes into the rucksack flat, the Kelly kettle would have to hang outside it of be hand carried.

Kelly kettles also have a cork bung on a chain attached which you can use to seal the pouring spout when you're heating the water. How you pour when it's hot is the pull the chain through the handle which gives you the other support point while you hold the handle to pour.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks MrsLW - I knew the depth of knowledge on here would be remarkable. Off to look now, will report back :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hmm .... I like this one, which unfortunately is only on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shayson-Stove-Titan-Super-efficient-Backpacking/dp/B01K1YOOJ2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1495271231&sr=8-7&keywords=folding+wood+stove

It's multifuel, its less than half the price of what I'd be paying for the Kelley combo I was thinking of, and it has the double wall construction that means it will burn hotter - and I can then throw out my awful home made rocket stove, that double wall thing is important to me. I could also stock up on solid alcohol tablets to use indoors, I hear?

I went onto Amazon.com to find more reviews, and they're very good.

Anybody got any ideas or knowledge about this thing? There's got to be a catch somewhere! Not as robust as a Kelley, for sure.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Doesn't always matter how good your diet is, health is a fragile precious thing and can go at any time. Maybe a lot of these older folk sit in front of the telly all day because they don't have the energy to get up and do anything - however much they want to. After 16 years with ME I know how that one feels and I wish I didn't.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 May 2017 at 12:56PM
    Options
    :) Hear, hear, Mardatha.

I have ME and have had since aged 20 (30+ years ago). It hasn't been a bundle of laffs, trying to manage a keen-as-mustard temperament with a body and brain which run out of steam very easily.

I can make things slightly worse by not eating my veggies, but I can't hit some maximum diet plan and become super-charged (or even normal). Hell, I regard 10-a-day as normal.

The message is, I think, make every effort to keep as well and active as possible, but don't harbour any illusions that you'll always be able to charge around or that righteous living will protect you from horrible health outcomes.

My parents are in their mid-seventies. Dad is perfectly well, and thinks nothing of walking 8 miles several times a week and at no slower speed than he was walking those same walks 40 years ago. My mother, one year younger, has developed Parkinson's and struggles with balance, and energy, and walking more than 1-1.5 miles is very hard on her.

Funnily enough, they've been eating the same food at the same table for 50+ years. Go figure.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Luck of the draw M'dear! you can't look forward and see what's going to come to you so my philosophy is to make the most of life as you can every day you're gifted. If you can't still be up and at 'em then make the most of what you CAN do and DO it!
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Greyqueen said
    One thing that I have definately observed with every person I know as they age is that decline in physical strength, mobility and overall health isn't ever a smoothly descending curve.
    Vitality goes down in sharp drops, with an injury or an illness being the trigger for a sudden decline in overall health and functionality. Oftentimes, the re-set is at a much lower level.

Mardatha said
    Doesn't always matter how good your diet is, health is a fragile precious thing and can go at any time. Maybe a lot of these older folk sit in front of the telly all day because they don't have the energy to get up and do anything - however much they want to. After 16 years with ME I know how that one feels and I wish I didn't.

Oh how very true that is. After my heart attack (NOT obese and very good diet) I spent a lot of time in front of the tv. I was too tired to hold a book long enough to read for longer than a few minutes.
    I consider myself truly blessed to have recovered as well as I have; and I don't credit myself for having done so. My heart condition is hereditary, not lifestyle related and diet is not, and never has been the cause.
    I agree totally with GreyQueen, MrsLW and Mardatha and am trying to keep as active as I can, to enjoy every day that I can and to be as prepared as I can for whatever spanner life rows in my front wheel the next time round.
    Our house is small (1930s end terrace) and manageable. We had a lot of work done when we first retired to ensure that we could remain here as long as possible and money is already set aside for a stairlift to be installed as and when MrCs Parkinson's or my heart condition warrants it (hopefully not soon, but who really knows?)For me prepping has a lot to do with my desire to remain as independent as possible as long as possible. It's more a way of living as well as we can, given constraints over which we have limited control.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One thing people forget in the diet/health/aging debate is sunshine. My mother's been getting weaker and weaker and more & more tired; last week they discovered that her vitamin D levels were down in her boots. So she's been prescribed some rocket-fuel-strength Vit. D to try to get her energy levels up enough so that she can go outside to get some sunshine to - yes, boost her vitamin D levels! She's never been that fond of exercise and simply won't go outside if she thinks there's even a possibilty that it might be cold/breezy/damp; turns out that it doesn't matter how good your diet is if you don't get enough sunshine...

There are dietary sources of Vitamin D, but none of them can hold a candle to genuine sunshine!
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oh agreed mar, re health going at any time. Dh had to do lots of surveying work in some very mouldy houses and also drive 40k miles a year behind diesel vehicles on the motorway, This was someone who could cycle 250 miles, run up 42 lakeland peaks, and was married to me and ate healthily. The mould and diesel fumes eventually got to him and wrecked his heart. Better not to know what is around the corner, as I told dd today, who is in a workplace where 1/4 will be made redundant, I also talked wth her about fate and how sometimes things are just meant to be

Anway I just came home and want to give a link to d`action. I was one of the d`action group for over six years, testing my blood for D3 every 6 months and taking D3 (cholicalciferol) to get to the optimum level for my health. I take 5000 units a day and sometimes more. We were told when I was studying that you need to lie in full sun naked for quite a while to get enough D3 from the sun. We just don`t get enough of the right sun in the uk and the guidelines for uk intake are far far too low but they will do because they are better than nothing
    http://grassrootshealth.net/project/daction/

Besides D3 other minerals and vitamins are involved, calcium/magnesium/K2 its all quite complex hence us needing to eat a variety of foods

I do like the fold up woodburning stoves, very neat, I watched some youtube videos. There is one that can use wood pellets on a special grate and wood pellets is the fuel in my house, so I always have bags here. It would be a great prepping aid, in case of a power cut as everything in the house relies on electricity
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    While I was still a child under my parents roof, Dad extended the house, twice. Each time with an extra bathroom. (Three daughters, not a hope...)

Then in the last decade, mum slipped, broke her leg & the whole health thing went from getting along to needing surgeries, interspersed with we-found-a-growth (which was removed in jig time, but mean the bones bunch wouldn't go near m'lady mother for a full year - which she was delighted about). This most recent surgery? Should get her back driving, but while her bones are growing & strengthening, the parental bedroom has been relocated en tout downstairs.

Not quite what m'father had *planned*, but dashed useful. He's one of my decluttering sister's star clients - he gets 'do it now'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure