Unexpected request to confirm tax residency - Halifax

Options

Comments

• WorriedFriend2017
    Options
    Received one of these from Halifax for my 4 year old and their savings account! 'According to records you live in the USA'.

Quick and stern phonecall sorted it out.
  • Cook_County
    Cook_County Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Received one of these from Halifax for my 4 year old and their savings account! 'According to records you live in the USA'.

Someone born in the UK to a US citizen parent might be a US citizen and tax resident from birth. Simply being UK resident does mot remove the possibility of the child also being US tax resident.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Someone born in the UK to a US citizen parent might be a US citizen and tax resident from birth. Simply being UK resident does mot remove the possibility of the child also being US tax resident.
    This ^^^^ may be true but doesn't explain the bit in bold below - does it?

What records?
    How come they have - according to their records - this child being resident in the USA?
  • Amata
    Options
    Interestingly I just received two of these letters - one from Halifax and the other from Lloyds.
    I'm a UK citizen who's been living in Ireland for the past 5 years, no new accounts in easily 8-10 years though with either bank, so am guessing they've only just around to updating their details about me...

Am presuming that I will have to give them my Irish PPS number rather than my UK NI number though - don't really know why they might need that - would the Irish details be any of their business since it's from another country??

Glad I found this thread though as I wanted to confirm that these letters are real - it's been so long since I moved to Ireland that I thought any moving country correspondence would have been done with years ago...
  • WorriedFriend2017
    Options
    What records?
    How come they have - according to their records - this child being resident in the USA?

Exactly. Very odd.

They just said it was a mistake?
  • CompChrissy
    Options
    LoopyLoop wrote: »
    I'm going with the train of thought that it isn't a scam and just a general Halifax check so to save time and effort I logged on to my online banking and updated my info, it specifically asks to state country of residency and goes on a bit about tax which I can't remember it doing before (but that doesn't mean it didn't!)
    Hopefully that'll satisfy their needs ��

Thank you so much :T - after hours of reading I saw your post and have logged in to my Halifax account and filled out my tax residency... this is definitely a new field. I will not be sending the form back.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 12 September 2017 at 12:58AM
    Options
    Amata wrote: »
    Interestingly I just received two of these letters - one from Halifax and the other from Lloyds.
    I'm a UK citizen who's been living in Ireland for the past 5 years, no new accounts in easily 8-10 years though with either bank, so am guessing they've only just around to updating their details about me...

Am presuming that I will have to give them my Irish PPS number rather than my UK NI number though -
    You should give them all your current tax residencies. If you are UK tax resident you can give them your UK tax ID number (an NI number or UTR). If you are Irish tax resident then yes, you confirm that and give them your Irish tax ID number (which for an individual in Ireland is a PPS).
    don't really know why they might need that - would the Irish details be any of their business since it's from another country??
    Because the UK government has agreed with about 100 other countries that they will participate in an OECD agreed programme of automatic exchange of information for tax purposes in which financial institutions here will share information about their customers with HMRC who will forward it to the home country tax authorities of the jurisdictions in which those customers are tax residents. You could read about that here http://www.oecd.org/tax/automatic-exchange/common-reporting-standard/

Within the EU there is a Directive which tells the individual countries they have to implement local laws compliant with the international agreements and how to go about doing it, but the UK was an early signatory to the OECD multilateral convention anyway, whether or not Europe got involved.

In order for HMRC to do this, they have to get the data from the banks - and the banks if they don't know your tax ID and countryof tax residence for certain, will have to get it from you - otherwise they will have to guess on your country of tax residence and the data they submit about your account balances and interest earnings will only include date of birth and address etc and could get muddled up with someone elses, leaving your local tax authority thinking you have more income or assets than you actually do. So it is best to participate and provide your tax ID information so they are receiving 'neat and tidy' data rather than a load of guesswork.

But basically the banks are duty bound to collect this from you so that they can submit information annually about your accounts to HMRC who will share it with your home country tax authority.

Similarly the other way round, if you were UK resident with bank accounts in Ireland (or the other tens of countries participating in the scheme including France, Germany, Channel Islands, Australia, etc etc etc) you would give them your UK tax ID so that the bank could report your details to their local tax authority so that it could be shared with HMRC.
    Glad I found this thread though as I wanted to confirm that these letters are real - it's been so long since I moved to Ireland that I thought any moving country correspondence would have been done with years ago...
    The information-sharing for "US FATCA" and the UK's equivalent regime for its Crown Dependencies and Overseas Territories (e.g. Isle of Man, Guernsey, Cayman, Gibraltar etc) began in 2014. The extension of this to cover the OECD's "Common Reporting Standard" and the other 100-odd countries only began for the 2016 calendar year onwards and banks in UK and Ireland have until 31/12/17 at the very latest to conclude on the status of their pre-existing accountholders.

If you moved country years ago they may not have been required to collect your foreign tax ID if it pre-dated the current rules, but they are required to look into it now. The EU savings directive which had been going for a decade or more already provided for some information reporting to allow people to effectively be taxed on interest receipts in their home countries, but this has been superseded with more comprehensive and internationally-agreed rules.

The new rules cover information to be shared automatically by banks, brokers, investment funds and some insurance companies to improve the quality of information shared annually automatically for tax purposes, rather than one country having to specifically request it from another.

The relevant HMRC link: "Automatic Exchange of Information: accountholders" - is here
  • Cook_County
    Options
    Exactly. Very odd.

They just said it was a mistake?
    A US citizen is always a US resident for US tax purposes. Residence has very specific meaning for tax purposes. A 4 year old born in the UK who has never visited the USA could still be US tax resident.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    A US citizen is always a US resident for US tax purposes. Residence has very specific meaning for tax purposes. A 4 year old born in the UK who has never visited the USA could still be US tax resident.

Please explain how.
  • EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 September 2017 at 10:51PM
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Please explain how.
    Outlined in the Wiki page on 'Accidental Americans'. US tax law is 'extraterritorial' and does not conform to international norms.

One predictable consequence of this nonsense is that US citizens living outside the US are regularly "neglecting" to formally register children born outside the US -- and who qualify for US citizenship -- with the US consulate.

Registering a US citizen child with the consulate can be done later as an afterthought. If useful or needed, and providing that enough paperwork is available, that is. But once done it cannot easily be undone. (The only way to undo it is 'renunciation', and that won't be possible until the child reaches the age of 16 to 18 or so. It cannot be done by a parent or guardian, only the person themselves. It is also costly, currently $2,350 per person.)

Conversely, holding US citizenship while living permanently in another country is usually a millstone rather than a benefit. By not registering birth abroad with the US consulate, any problems for the child from an unwanted US citizenship taint can either be avoided entirely. Or at minimum postponed for years or perhaps decades, until the child is old enough to decide for himself or herself whether or not holding US citizenship is worth the aggravations.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure