Desperate Help needed - Expat invested in Generali Vision Plan through DeVeres

Dear financial experts,

The detail to my story is quite in depth - but I will try and keep it to the sailiant points. The starting point is me I suppose - a family man who wanted to put some money aside for the future. It was around 2010 when I was expatriated to China, this lasted for 2 years. Soon after arriving in China I was approached (preyed upon) by a so called IFA from Deveres.

I’m a man of very modest wealth - basically never having more than a couple of thousands of pounds in savings. The expatriation though increased our disposable income so I thought this was the right time to start making provisions for our families future. My 1st thought was to start making mortgage over payments …. looking back now I sooooo wish that I had done that instead of the investment route I actually ended up taking.

I wasn’t looking to ‘invest’, however this guy from Deveres made contact with me whilst in China and I agreed to listen to what investment options may be available to me. He explained to me how this plan was flexible, low risk, the best investment opportunity available to expats (for tax reasons), etc, etc. He encouraged my to start with high contributions - saying that these could be scaled back at any time.

Against my better judgement I invested in something called the "General Vision Plan".

Soon after returning to the UK the disposable income reduced and I sailed back my monthly contributions down to the minimum (i.e just 100 GBP). 6 years down the line - having contributed near on 30k the plan cash-out value is just 5k. Most of the contributions were going into a fund that has since collapsed and gone into administration. I didn’t choose the fund as such - the IFA proposed a fund portfolio based upon my requirements - i.e. I asked for something low risk and flexible.

Now I feel that I am stuck in no-mans land…. keep paying the minimum 100 pounds per month (for the next 14 years) so I don’t surrender my plan or cash out and wave goodbye to over 25k. I could cry ! A typical ‘chucking good money after bad’ type of decision.

I understand that some of you may have little sympathy - at the end of the day I was the one that signed on the dotted line, however the plan I thought I was getting was NOT the one I was sold…… this is though mis-selling of the highest order and ver sharp practice. If the plan was sold to me in this way in the UK I would have some recourse for action through the FCA, or similar, I assume.

I'm reaching out to you (and various other firms) because I don't know who else can help - I made contact with a several Financial Advisors in the UK but none of them will support on something so small - yet for me this is a huge amount of money and Im looking for damage limitation options.

Its a minefield - I brought into this through Deveres (through their China office) who sold me a product from Generali (based in Guernsey ?). These companies seem to have offices based all over the place - so even if I thought it was worth a moment of my time to write a letter of complaint I wouldn’t know where to send it (but what chance does a letter a letter from me stand against the might of Deveres or Generali ?).

Can you offer some advise - some direction even ... is there anything I can do ? Any ombudsman to contact or legal recourse ?

Yours very very desperately
Many thanks
Duped77

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    There is another long running thread on this somewhere in here. I'd search for that and see if there is any action anyone has taken that's worked. Bottom line I think you are screwed though.
  • Duped77
    Duped77 Posts: 5 Forumite
    OK - apologies if Ive missed something - I'll take another look / search.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,581 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Duped77 wrote: »
    Can you offer some advise - some direction even ... is there anything I can do ? Any ombudsman to contact or legal recourse ?

Yours very very desperately
    Many thanks
    Duped77

If it wasn't sold in the UK then unfortunately you can't use the ombudsman here and I'm guessing there is probably very little regulation in China.

Do you have the option of any other funds to invest in? Ultimately you may find it more cost effective to leave it rather than paying more in. If you're back in the UK then far more options are open to you like S&S ISAs and pensions now.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Search for this text:

"generali vision avoid like the plague"

Lots of cases.

This one sounds rather similar,

http://easy-ways-to-save-money.com/investment-in-generali-vision-plan-cut-my-losses-or-hang-on/

"I’m a UK expatriate living in China. In 2006 I was advised by someone calling themselves an expat IFA (not in China) to invest in a Vision Plan with Generali."

http://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/217638-warning-generali-vision-investment-advisers.html

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/GENERALI-VISION/Select-StateProvince/GENERALI-VISION-AVOID-LIKE-THE-PLAGUE-Guernsey-Channel-Islands-United-KingdomnbspInter-1075727

http://boards.thisismoney.co.uk/savings-investing-pensions/32792.htm

"Generali International Limited is based in Guersey, Channel Islands and comes under the auspices of the Generali Financial Services Commission (GFSC). However, the GFSC has no ombudsman and no powers to adjudicate in a dispute. In addition, Guernsey lawyers are prohibited from operating on a "No win, no fees" basis and non-Guernsey based lawyers have no jurisdiction on the Island. The only possible recourse, therefore, seems to be the expensive and very risky business of hiring a Guernsey based lawyer. One can see the attraction, amongst others, for investment/insurance companies to set up home in Guernsey."

Sounds like there are a lot of ex-pats who got roped in. It sounds like FSA had the effect of driving bad practice off-shore.

Lots of comrades to get a Class action together.

You probably have better chance if you hire some ex-ARMY mercenaries, kidnap the executives, and force them to transfer money from their Cayman Islands bank accounts.

If you can get your money back for over charging, Harrods will be in trouble.
  • Jonbvn
    Jonbvn Posts: 5,562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    When I was an expat I was approached by this company on more than one occasion. Fortunately for me, forewarned is forearmed and I told them to go forth and procreate.

Before you invest, a quick google of what you are investing in and with whom is the minimum you should do.
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
  • richyg
    richyg Posts: 148 Forumite
    I think you just run away and chalk it up to one of those things.

Would you trade the monetary loss for that of your eye , or your child or even a thumb. ?

Probably not I would think. YMMV. At this point we get perspective.

They are however wicked and if I remember from what I read - base the charges they deduct over the plan based on the original contribution rate. How convenient.

and hence

"He encouraged my to start with high contributions - saying that these could be scaled back at any time."
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If the plan was sold to me in this way in the UK I would have some recourse for action through the FCA, or similar, I assume.

If it was sold by an IFA then they would be FCA regulated. However, despite you using the term IFA, it would appear it was not an IFA. These are sales reps not working to UK standards. So, you dont get UK levels of consumer protection. They shouldnt refer to themselves using UK terminology either.

It would depend on the consumer protection and rules in place in the territory that you purchased it in.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Hello from Generali Worldwide,

We are following up on the original poster’s comments. In order to review your case we will need some personal information from you. Obviously you cannot post it here, but rather could we ask you to send an email with your full name and plan number as well as a link to where the post was originally made to: onlinecommunicate(at)generali-guernsey.com.

Once received, we will be able to review the policy details and the terms and conditions that you would have been presented at the time and will be able to comment on your specific situation. We will always provide a timely formal acknowledgement and written response to any complaints.

Please rest assured that we will not post any private information back to this thread and will hold your information in the strictest of confidence.

IMPORTANT: If anyone else posting similar content in this thread would like us to investigate any queries on your policy, please feel free to follow the above process.

Yours sincerely,

Generali Worldwide Online Communications Team
  • Caher
    Caher Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 4 January 2017 at 12:16PM
    Hello,
    same thing happened to me. Sold within my company offices in Switzerland by an "IFA " - what I was not told and made clear to me was the policy only matured when I was 78 and all payments made in the first 98 were admin. Admin meant his fees.
    Generali eventually returned my payments from 98 weeks -until I ended the policy (week 200) but I lost 8K, the admin portion. I ended as I was returning to the UK.
    I still very aggrieved that I forfeited this amount through what felt like deception.
  • tlongdon
    tlongdon Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Same thing here, sold this lame duck by a 'financial adviser' (sales rep) in Kuwait years back.

Had the same line that "pay as much as you can now and reduce payments if your circumstances change".

Tried to get the company selling it (Anderson Lloyd International) investigated by the Financial Conduct Authority, but they weren't interested as the product was sold overseas.

So every month I now see the $50,000 dwindle as Generali continues to take whatever it needs to out of the fund. I'm now down to a valuation of $13,000, with a surrender value of $3,000.

an expensive lesson learned. Avoid Generali forever, tell everyone else you know too, and avoid overseas sales reps who Generali probably paid quite handsomely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure