PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Letting agent harassment

Options
My daughter had been renting with her partner for 10 months of a 12 month contract, which they wont be renewing due to the fact that they will be moving from the area. Their contract is until the 9th September but on recieving persistent calls, emails and texts they advised the agent they wouldn't be renewing their contract.

The property has now been listed on the internet and today she has been asked if she can be there to show people around at 6pm (only a few hours notice). She refused and the agent said he could let them in with his key! Then the agent contacted her partner to say that they would come tomorrow to take pictures of the property.

My daughter experiences anxiety and the constant contact and demands that the agent is making it causing her distress.

As her contract isn't up for another 8+ weeks do the agents have any right to show people around her home or to be asking to come in to photograph the home?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• campbell19925
    campbell19925 Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 July 2018 at 5:12PM
    Options
    The good news, and please advise her of this immediately is that they have no legal right to enter HER property until HER tendency ends.

She can simply say no to viewings. They can give 24 hour notice but if you don't want them to come in they have to legal right to.

I had this problem with my landlord and once I made them aware that I was AWARE of my rights they soon backed off and tried a much calmer approach.
    melliec wrote: »
    The property has now been listed on the internet and today she has been asked if she can be there to show people around at 6pm (only a few hours notice). She refused and the agent said he could let them in with his key! Then the agent contacted her partner to say that they would come tomorrow to take pictures of the property.

I also find this unbelievable. Who do they think they are demanding she show them around ?? You have legal rights and I would threaten them with action
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    That does not really sound like harassment, the letting agent wanted to know what your daughter was planning to do so the property did not get left empty... Once your daughter finally said they were going obviously they want to take photos and have viewings...

Why don't you flip it round and suggest to the agent a day (suggest a weekend) say a few hours at a reasonable time say between 10am and 12 midday where they can do viewings. If a tenant is still in place I tend to try to do this block viewing as it is the least disruption for the tenant and actually makes the letting agents life easier.
  • campbell19925
    Options
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    That does not really sound like harassment, the letting agent wanted to know what your daughter was planning to do so the property did not get left empty... Once your daughter finally said they were going obviously they want to take photos and have viewings...

Why don't you flip it round and suggest to the agent a day (suggest a weekend) say a few hours at a reasonable time say between 10am and 12 midday where they can do viewings. If a tenant is still in place I tend to try to do this block viewing as it is the least disruption for the tenant and actually makes the letting agents life easier.

The letting agency should have photos from last year before she rented it. And also, even if they don't, she is under NO obligation to allow them to take photos of her flat.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The good news, and please advise her of this immediately is that they have no legal right to enter HER property until HER tendency ends.

Really? You can read the tenancy agreement from here, that's impressive.
  • buggy_boy
    Options

She can simply say no to viewings. They can give 24 hour notice but if you don't want them to come in they have to legal right to.

I had this problem with my landlord and once I made them aware that I was AWARE of my rights they soon backed off and tried a much calmer approach.

I also find this unbelievable. Who do they think they are demanding she show them around ?? You have legal rights and I would threaten them with action

Agree that they should not be expecting a tenant to do the viewing or giving such short notice but it is best to work with the letting agent/landlord.... As a Landlord if the tenant has been good and amicable I am way more lenient when it comes to cleanliness and small bits of damage on check out.
  • campbell19925
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Really? You can read the tenancy agreement from here, that's impressive.

The LAW is simple. Regardless of what a tenency agreement says. In law, the landlord is obliged to give his tenant 24 hours notice and enter at reasonable times of the day only with the tenant's explicit permission.
  • buggy_boy
    Options
    The letting agency should have photos from last year before she rented it. And also, even if they don't, she is under NO obligation to allow them to take photos of her flat.

The problem with using old photo's is it is not reflective of the current state which can cause problems with new tenants... There will probably be a clause in the tenancy to allow for viewings etc as long as 24hrs notice is given, yes you can refuse entry over and over but the OP wants to reduce the stress... Is it really worth the fight, much better to have a compromise.
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    Your daughter should check the tenancy agreement, usually there is provision for allowing viewings in the final weeks/months of a tenancy. The landlord, or an agent acting on his behalf has to give 24 hours written notice before entering the property so what the letting agent proposed today was ridiculous.

My advice would be to compromise with the letting agent. Give them days and times that work for your daughter to arrange viewings and photos. The sooner another tenant is found the sooner it will be over. The alternative is for your daughter to dig her heels in and change the locks which is an option but not necessarily a good one if she requires a reference for the next place.
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    The LAW is simple. Regardless of what a tenency agreement says. In law, the landlord is obliged to give his tenant 24 hours notice and enter at reasonable times of the day only with the tenant's explicit permission.

Here we go again....

If the tenant has agreed to viewings in the tenancy agreement then they have given permission already. That is why it is important for the OP's daughter to check her tenancy agreement.

To which LAW are you referring?
  • campbell19925
    campbell19925 Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 July 2018 at 5:28PM
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Your daughter should check the tenancy agreement, usually there is provision for allowing viewings in the final weeks/months of a tenancy. The landlord, or an agent acting on his behalf has to give 24 hours written notice before entering the property so what the letting agent proposed today was ridiculous.

My advice would be to compromise with the letting agent. Give them days and times that work for your daughter to arrange viewings and photos. The sooner another tenant is found the sooner it will be over. The alternative is for your daughter to dig her heels in and change the locks which is an option but not necessarily a good one if she requires a reference for the next place.

buggy_boy wrote: »
    The problem with using old photo's is it is not reflective of the current state which can cause problems with new tenants... There will probably be a clause in the tenancy to allow for viewings etc as long as 24hrs notice is given, yes you can refuse entry over and over but the OP wants to reduce the stress... Is it really worth the fight, much better to have a compromise.

This is very good advice by both posters.

Even though what I said is correct - I got a bit carried away and maybe did not give the best advice - because I despise landlords and letting agents when they act like this.

A more sensible approach would be to inform the landlord when your daughter would be available to ALLOW them access into her home. They cant just waltz in whenever they feel like it. And not at all if she doesn't want them to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure