PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Letting agent harassment

Options

Comments

• sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    m0bov wrote: »
    Change the locks and if they try to force entry call the police.
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    Change the locks and tell them when they can come around, be reasonable. All the rest in drama..........ohhh and I don't care what the LAW says or don't say. They would still be standing outside.

Please don't do that. It is most likely explicitly forbidden in the contract. Even if it's not it can be considered criminal damage and alteration to the property which is most definitely forbidden in the contract.

Especially then there is zero indication that someone has or will entered the property without consent.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'll be honest, the OP of this thread sounds thoroughly unreasonable and needlessly antagonistic towards the landlord and letting agent.

No they don't have to take viewings but there's also no point being needlessly obstructive unless you want to get the same treatment back when you want something.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »
    Please don't do that. It is most likely explicitly forbidden in the contract. Even if it's not it can be considered criminal damage and alteration to the property which is most definitely forbidden in the contract.

Especially then there is zero indication that someone has or will entered the property without consent.

Total twaddle!
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »

Load of old rot. No damage will be been done and it can simply be returned to its previous state.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a tenant and have always viewed properties while they were still tenanted, therefore I do the same and allow sensible viewings. Harassment like hero is a very over used word.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    Nope I wouldn't be putting myself out to save the agent and landlord time and money. I would give a couple of suitable times when I was not around to let them view (with the agent or landlord) and they would have to work around me and my home.

If the walked into my house I would call the police because I would see it as threatening behaviour.

I know we've had a few threads like this but anyone who thinks it's ok to waltz into someone's house, especially with strangers, does not value people's privacy.
  • campbell19925
    Options
    To be fair, they're not just waltzing in, they have given notice.

Notice that he's going to turn up tomorrow and let himself in with keys doesn't count...
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the tenant is leaving at the end of the contracted period then surely there is no need to give notice?

Just move out and take loads of photos after cleaning the place, read and photo all the meters and inform the utility companies, claim back deposit from whatever scheme it's in and make sure the keys are handed back on the day or the day before.

Also notify the council and finalise the council tax bill.

Another vote for ignoring the agent.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Whilst I am completely against this idiotic proposal by the government for 3 year tenancies, I think forcing viewings on tenants is inherently wrong. I know how much of a violation viewings can feel when you are selling your own house from choice. It is high time the law was changed to eliminate this invasion of privacy.

Why should any tenant have to care about their LL's, let alone LA's voids? It is so not their problem.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Whilst I am completely against this idiotic proposal by the government for 3 year tenancies, I think forcing viewings on tenants is inherently wrong. I know how much of a violation viewings can feel when you are selling your own house from choice. It is high time the law was changed to eliminate this invasion of privacy.

Why should any tenant have to care about their LL's, let alone LA's voids? It is so not their problem.

Voids for a LL would mean a smaller income which could mean higher rental for future tenants. I'm a tenant and am happy for viewings to take place at times suitable to me. It's never been a problem and in all honesty have never had more than two five minute viewings at any property I've been in.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport