Benefit fraud?

Comments

• LindaR1965 wrote: »
    First time posted so hope this is in the right place. If not I apologise.

My 20 year old daughter is in receipt of pip and esa. She has ms. She received a letter from dwp to go in for an interview regarding her benefits. We assumed it was just the usual, you still have ms, no cure found yet, you're just the same or worse. She went herself as it was no big deal. Turns out they wanted to ask questions regarding her committing benefit fraud. She opened an isa and her and her boyfriend have been putting money in it for a holiday. It's sitting at £4000. She has a saving account with 28p in it. Her current account has a couple of hundred. Do they have a right to access her accounts without her knowledge? About 2 years ago before she was in receipt of esa I put £28,000 in her account. This was part of an inheritance she received 13 years previously. She has no idea of this inheritance. She bought a brand new car, paid for driving lessons, insurance for car, went on holiday, bought clothes, make up etc, crashed car so bought another. Money was soon gone. She had a further £40,000 in a bond. When she applied for esa and pip on the phone they asked about any money she had, she said she had none as she did not know about it. I was there so luckily I took phone and explained about the bonds. The advisor told me it was ok as they would not affect her benefits. (Hopefully they still have a recording of this). Now 2 years later they are investigating her. The letter had nothing on it about an investigation or that it would be under caution. I have contacted a solicitor, we meet them in Tues. I am so very worried they find her guilty. It was an honest mistake. She has the money to pay them back. Will they send her to prison because of the amount involved. She thinks it's about £18,000. Could be more. She can't do community service due to her ms. I am worried sick. The stress of this could trigger a relapse for her as she's terrified. Anyone any advice or been through anything similar?
    LindaR1965 wrote: »
    Her dad died and then 4 months later his mum died. She had not changed her will so the money that was due to her dad got put in trust with myself and my sister as trustees. This was held till she reached 18. At the time she claimed. She had no idea of this money. It was held in trust till she reached age of sense, which was 18. She had no access to them. When she reached 18, I released £28,000 to her to do with what she wanted. Mad money we called it. She had been diagnosed with a progressive incurable illness and had been almost bed bound for 6 months so I wanted her to spend spend spend to help her feel better. Maybe not the best advice but you had to be there to appreciate the devastation she was feeling at diagnosis. So after that my sister and I released the remaining funds into her name. These funds are kept to help look after her in the future by either a down payment on a property or adaptations to a property should she need it. We did not give this money any thought or conceal it as after initial conversation I never thought to mention it again. I can't even say I thought it was ok to not mention because of being told it did not count as the money just did not enter my head again.

Which is it?
    Student nurse 2018 to 2020
    Debt: DMP (with Payplan) £8194 - 6.6 years left
  • LindaR1965 wrote: »
    I filled out forms as she had numbness in hands and couldn't hold a pen. Her fine motor skills were not good. She also suffers confusion and brain fog which gets worse when under stress. Filling out these forms was very stressful.

Is she even allowed to drive?
    Student nurse 2018 to 2020
    Debt: DMP (with Payplan) £8194 - 6.6 years left
  • Is she even allowed to drive?
    crashed car so bought another.

I did find the car part a bit worrying.
  • Diary
    Diary Posts: 591 Forumite
    I did find the car part a bit worrying.

DVLA have probably also been kept in the dark.
    Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace".
  • Diary wrote: »

You'd like to think not, but never know.

ms.png
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    MS does not automatically preclude a person from driving. Neither should it be automatically assumed that DVLA hasn't been informed.

This is from the MS Society Website. " One of the first questions many people have when they’re diagnosed with MS is: “Will I still be able to drive?” The good news is that most people with MS continue to drive as normal."
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have known two people with MS and both were able to drive.

One was a college lecturer, whose disease I never saw any signs of. She had a blue badge and one day someone chatting on the stairs went down to help her carry items upstairs. (If I hadn't know, I'd have assumed that she had no ailment).

The other lady, I met at dog training, where she handled a very large excitable dog and showed no signs of a disability, but she said her main problem was losing her sight for a while, then being 'normal' for a long time before it happened again.
  • teddysmum wrote: »
    I have known two people with MS and both were able to drive.

The other lady, I met at dog training, where she handled a very large excitable dog and showed no signs of a disability, but she said her main problem was losing her sight for a while, then being 'normal' for a long time before it happened again.

Kind of hope I wouldn't be anywhere near her if her sight suddenly goes while she is driving!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Diary

Why would you assume that?
    Quite a few on here very quick to judge. Yes DVLA know she has ms. She is allowed to drive. Don't judge others by your own standards

Powerful_rogue

You find the fact she crashed her car a bit worrying? Is that because no one in the history of the world has never crashed unless they have an illness?

High10pines

Why would she not be allowed to drive? Her symptoms come and go. During her periods when she is well, should she be confined to the house, using public transport, getting lifts?

Some people on here have been kind and offered support, a lot have not and been very judgemental and ignorant. Before posting ignorant comments please at least research what your posting as you just show yourselves to be mean spirited and unkind.

For that reason I am out.

I hope those who were unkind and judgemental never have to reach out for support and advice and find themselves on the receiving end of someone like minded to themselves.

Thank you to those who understood I was panicking and scared and therefore was blurting information that at times seemed confusing but was never dishonest. To the rest of you ... Well let's hope karma is real. :angry:
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Diary

Why would you assume that?
    Quite a few on here very quick to judge. Yes DVLA know she has ms. She is allowed to drive. Don't judge others by your own standards

Powerful_rogue

You find the fact she crashed her car a bit worrying? Is that because no one in the history of the world has never crashed unless they have an illness?

High10pines

Why would she not be allowed to drive? Her symptoms come and go. During her periods when she is well, should she be confined to the house, using public transport, getting lifts?

Some people on here have been kind and offered support, a lot have not and been very judgemental and ignorant. Before posting ignorant comments please at least research what your posting as you just show yourselves to be mean spirited and unkind.

For that reason I am out.

I hope those who were unkind and judgemental never have to reach out for support and advice and find themselves on the receiving end of someone like minded to themselves.

Thank you to those who understood I was panicking and scared and therefore was blurting information that at times seemed confusing but was never dishonest. To the rest of you ... Well let's hope karma is real. :angry:
    With an open public forum you will always get the haters especially when it comes to benefits and benefit fraud. Surely you expected some nasty replies when you decided to post your question? After all we're talking about the tax payers money here. As much as i dislike those benefit bashers you can't expect anything less on a forum like this...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure