Npower doesnt have any reading for my gas meter

Npower doesn't have any readings for my gas meter from me or the previous tenants (they were with npower) I've ben in the flat for 10 months now.

I couldn't find the gas meter anywhere when I moved in and kind of forgot all about it until now (2 months before I move out)

After many long conversations with npower they eventually came to the conclusion that my meter had been changed at some point (before I moved in) and they hadn't updated their records.

My issue is this: They are trying to charge me by estimating the usage I use in the next week. However because I am a student (and extremely tight) we managed not to use the heating at all! Basically im worried I will end up being over charged and find it unfair that I can be charged when there are no actual records of what I've used.

Please help!

Chris

Comments

• Kirwan94
    Kirwan94 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2018 at 3:25PM
    Hi,
    I understand the concern regarding this, just try and make sure your usage is as consistent as possible over the week they are using to estimate the usage. If there will be any discrepancies request that they use another week?

Are you currently doing this as part of Npower's complaint process? Complaint agents will usually have more power to make the readings more in your favour.

Are they going to use your move in date as the date of the meter exchange? If they are then your usage will not be effected by the previous tenant which would be advantageous, as it stops a previous tenant receiving a increased bill and starting a dispute.

Unfortunately under the EUK (Energy UK) back billing rules energy companies are allowed to go back 12 months and amend your billing. But through the complaint they should be able to grant some compensation for the inconvenience, most of the time they will try and make the usage fall in-line with what you've already paid.

I hope this helps!
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    As you are renting is it worthwhile asking the letting agent/ landlord if they took a reading when the last tenant left?
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure