Smart meter installation wrecked my boiler

Back in March 2018 I arranged with First Utility to install a gas smart meter as I already had an electric one put in two years ago. On the day of the installation I was told the electric one needed to be replaced as it was unable to communicate with the new gas meter! Not so smart I thought. Anyway after the installation of the meters the engineer tried to relight my boiler and it refused to work, he left and suggested I ring my supplier to see what could be done. I had to arrange for my heating engineer to come out and fix the problem which turned out to be a blown printed circuit board in the boiler and stump up £442:mad: I asked first utility to pay the bill and they redirected me to Siemens who have since said they won’t pay either as their engineer appeared to have followed the correct procedure during the installation. I cannot believe the two incidents are unrelated. My heating engineer thinks the pcb was blown out by a power surge after reconnection but proving it is another matter. I have contacted Ofgen for any advice but at the time of writing I am still waiting to hear. May well end up changing energy supplier and take my money elsewhere. If you are considering a meter upgrade I would advise you switch off the main fuse board in the house and unplug everything......just in case:(

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport