Home Emergency Cover/Boiler cover

Options
moneysaver
moneysaver Posts: 825 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Hi,
I have just had my renewal through from Scottish Gas for my Boiler cover. I have the homecare two package. The cost for the last year was £218 a year, after they tried to put it up I negotiated it down to this. I have just had my renewal through for this year & they are now wanting £289. I am now feeling ripped off & have been looking at other options.

I have came across this company http://www.bestpricefs.co.uk & wondered if anyone has used them. The price seems good £91.25 for the year and you get a lot more than Scottish gas offer.

1: Boiler & Heating
2: Pipes & Drains
3: Toilet Damage
4: Roof Repairs
5: Home Security
6: Gas & Electricity
7: Accommodation
8: Lost Keys
9: Infestations

I will need to get my boiler serviced separately @ £50 to keep cover valid.

Myself & my wife like the security of the boiler cover so I am looking to see if anyone has used this company & how reliable they are http://www.bestpricefs.co.uk
Or any other recommended company that is in central Scotland

My boiler is Worcester Bosch Greenstar Junior i 24i combi boiler. Approx 6yrs old.

Thanks
Moneysaver

Comments

• moneysaver
    Options
    Bump "Anybody"
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    IMO it is highly unlikely that you will get that sort of cover for the price you are quoting.
  • moneysaver
    Options
    Thanks for the reply's.
    The cover is from Legal Protection Group Ltd and is underwritten by International insurance company of Hannover SE who are registered in Germany.

The most the insurer will pay out on any one emergency is £1000.

I am really only interested in the boiler cover. The rest of the cover on offer comes with the package. Scottish Gas/ British Gas also has a limit of £1000 per claim.

I was just interested if anyone has used this site/broker before & how reliable they are.

Thanks,
    Moneysaver
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 April 2018 at 4:32PM
    Options
    I've never heard of LPG but there are a lot of providers out there.

I had a new boiler a couple of years ago and the boiler company was offering something similar and the cover levels seem similar.

I assume you have buildings and contents insurance? Does your insurance company offer home emergency also? I have this as an add-on to my buildings and contents insurance.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    10% cashback available on the bestpricefs cover if you do decide to go for it (eg via topcashback, quidco etc).

Just checked via a price comparison site and home emergency add-on can be anywhere between included for free and £72 extra. Lots of companies adding it for £30 to £40 extra.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • moneysaver
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    I am with Direct Line for Buildings & Contents. It seems they do not offer boiler cover.

If I get no positive reviews about bestpricefs I will look elsewhere.

I have about 2 weeks to go before My cover runs out.

Thanks,
    Moneysaver
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 April 2018 at 11:16PM
    Options
    Direct Lne offers 'Home emergency Cover' as an optional extra.

Note that this, like http://www.bestpricefs.co.uk is just emergency cover, giving 'emergency repairs to make your home safe'. That is not the same as a full, permenant repair such as you'd get on your boiler cover with Scottish Gas or British Gas .

Example - I had a similar policy covering emergency repairs. Outside tap froze one winter and was leaking once it thawed. My 'emergency cover' included plumbing but they refused to fix as there was no risk to the property so no emergency.

You get what you pay for.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Its worth checking with SG to see if they have the age of your boiler correct, BG always had mine 3 years older than it was and every year once we sorted that out the cost came down.
  • moneysaver
    Options
    Thanks for the reply's. I have sorted it out with Scottish Gas. I called them yesterday & negotiated back to last years price, plus I was upgraded to Homecare 4 from Homecare 2. I am happy with that outcome.

Moneysaver
  • laticsrblu
    Options
    Just wait till the 2019 renewal. It will automatically be for the all bells and whistles Homecare 4 package.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure