Can we stop employees from having direct contact?

Options
We have an issue with an employee at work that I would like some advice on.

We have advised an employee that she can only have direct contact with her colleagues if they invite her to do so but she is claiming that this isn't fair. Can anyone advise if we can stop colleagues having direct contact?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What does this mean?

Inside work or outside?

Whats the background.

You need to be clear and open here
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,745 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    She's working in solitary isolation?
    With other people but bothering them so they can't work?
    Work time, lunch breaks, out of work?
    Context is everything.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • undercoverirish
    Options
    When we gave this instruction, we meant at all times whether it be inside or outside of work. The team is remote and we use an open communication platform for transparency so there’s really no need for her to have direct contact with individual members of the team.

The reason we issued this instruction was based on feedback from some of the team that there was some direct communication that they felt was inappropriate.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    When we gave this instruction, we meant at all times whether it be inside or outside of work. The team is remote and we use an open communication platform for transparency so there’s really no need for her to have direct contact with individual members of the team.

The reason we issued this instruction was based on feedback from some of the team that there was some direct communication that they felt was inappropriate.

I think it would be better to have a meeting with her and explain what was inappropriate about previous communication and get her to realise and to not repeat in the future.

If you stop one person from communicating when others in the same line of work can do so, I can see a constructive dismissal claim along the line ( not saying that would win depending on the exact circumstances).
  • undercoverirish
    Options
    Unfortunately we have already issued the instruction so already dealing with the backlash which includes legal threats!
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options

I'm assuming by this you mean you have a shared place to talk, for example group email, a group 'chat' or bulletin board but she is contacting work colleagues OUTSIDE of this provided work chat/group/area which is inappropriate.

I would say that is acceptable to ask her not to. Tell her that the only method to contact colleagues is this 'shared service' and if she cannot get in touch with the colleague through that service then it means they are not available. I would also follow that up with a message telling everyone to make sure they access this shared communication place frequently and respond and acknowledge messages.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I'm not sure if you're being deliberately obstructive or not, so I'll ask some clear questions:

1: What was said?
    2: How? Email? Phone?
    3: Very rarely would you have any authority to dictate what an employee does outside of work (makes you look stupid suggesting this tbh)
    4: What is the job? Why have a 'team' if they don't act like a team
    5: how long has she worked for you?

If you provide a detailed background you're far more likely to get correct answers.

At present, it's not clear that your instructions have much weight behind them
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How is this colleague contacting her employees? Can they block her?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • marliepanda
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    I think it would be better to have a meeting with her and explain what was inappropriate about previous communication and get her to realise and to not repeat in the future.

If you stop one person from communicating when others in the same line of work can do so, I can see a constructive dismissal claim along the line ( not saying that would win depending on the exact circumstances).

How can it be constructive dismissal? Everyone is allowed to talk to everyone. Its basically saying 'you can post on the forum so everyone can see, but you cannot go outside of this and PM/call bugslet. if you want to talk to bugslet, you need to contact him on the forum'

No one is stopping anyone from talking to anyone, but they have to do it in the proper place.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    I'm not sure why people are finding this a difficult issue to comprehend but maybe its because I have done this before. At my work we have a work 'Skype' type thing where we post and talk to the team.

I dont text my colleagues.
    I dont email my colleagues
    I dont private message my colleagues
    (and vice versa)

If I want to get Bill to do something, I post it in the Skype.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure