PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Comments

• Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Looking for a bed for him on Gumtree (as he’s currently in a cot). A lot are just as expensive as getting a new one! My husband wants to get him a toddler sized bed but I want to go straight into a single and save buying another bed in a year or two. We’ll see who wins that one!

You can make the bed up 'halfway', so that he doesn't feel lost in a single bed. Just use a plain sheet and use it as both bottom and top sheet, folded at the feet, similar to a sleeping bag. If you're afraid he will fall out of the bed, you can roll up a towel lengthwise and put it underneath the bottom sheet at the roomside of the bed to form a ridge.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • SimpleLiving
    SimpleLiving Posts: 55 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2018 at 7:09PM
    Had a good rummage through belongings and 2 bags went off to the animal shelter charity shop yesterday. Shallots planted on the allotment today. Enjoying everyone's fab advice :)
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks Siebre! We actually already have a bed rail which is on our bed on my side as DS comes in with us most nights :o so my plan is to move that to his new bed. He’s big enough now he can go between us if he does come in, though I’m trying to stop doing that (my husband is a very heavy sleeper which is why I always had him on my side before).

Good tip re the sheet! Think DH is concerned it will take up too much floorspace, but it’s a decent double size room and he never plays in there anyway.
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 January 2018 at 5:55PM
    ..A lot of companies rely on people mindlessly buying the same stuff they always have without analysing whether they really need it!

We've been rethinking what we buy.

We used to use shampoo, conditioner and also shower gel. I stopped using conditioner about 2 years ago and in the last year I have just used shower gel to wash my hair too. As my husband has no hair left (shaves the little he has) he has been washing his bonce in shower gel for years.

It means just one bottle in the shower and only one bottle to take on holiday now.
  • ...You will be horrified to know that I don’t sort my washing and wash everything at 30 or 40...

We do the same too (although we never buy white clothes).

We do not even have a washing basket anymore. We live in a small bungalow and so everything that needs washing just goes straight into the machine to wait to be washed (the utility room is not too far from the bedroom and bathroom) so this is easy to do. When the machine is full it gets switched on.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Only just come across this wonderful thread. Started reading the posts, but a long way to go. You are all amazing and I am sure I will learn plenty form you and hopefully offer some ideas myself once I catch up with all the posts.
  • jackyann wrote: »
    Hello all, back after best part of a month without internet access, and have decided that on the whole, the internet makes life 'simpler'.

It certainly does. Our phone line went down on 22nd december and took until 31st to come back on properly. I was surprised by how much more relaxed we were over Christmas and also how much napping I did!
    CurlyTop wrote: »
    There are two book related threads on MSE that may interest you.

The Bookworm 2018 one here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5766465

but the one that may help is the No more Buying books until I've read the ones I've bought already:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2263095

Thanks for the links. Went over to the Bookworm 2018 thread and found myself making a list of books to find, so that may not be the thread for me at the moment :rotfl:

The No More Books thread is where I think a recovering addict like me belongs!
  • ploppy57 wrote: »
    Only just come across this wonderful thread. Started reading the posts, but a long way to go. You are all amazing and I am sure I will learn plenty form you and hopefully offer some ideas myself once I catch up with all the posts.

ploppy57,

Welcome from another relative newcomer. I would second the “you are all amazing”.
    My journey to A Simpler Life is mostly about decluttering at the moment. I am finding it very hard - it is making me think about why I keep things and what is stopping me getting rid of this ‘stuff’. Little things help - when the post is delivered I make myself a drink and sort it immediately e.g. pay bills, recycle envelopes, shredding. Making sure the washing up is done before going to bed.

So here is to a Simpler Life:beer:

MrsSD:)
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) I'm another one with no room for a linen bin, things to be washed go into the machine to await a full load and anything pale (I own almost nothing in white other than sheets and teatowels) gets pulled out if it's not a hot wash.

I'm a seriously-green person but have tried and then abandoned washing at 30 degrees. Things just weren't coming up clean. The vast majority of my washes are mixed coloureds at 40 with the occasional 60 wsah for bedlinen. Haven't any outside drying space (city centre microflat) but sun is the best brightener going.

I have no truck with fabric conditioner. Hate the smell and feel of things using it, and it's just one more thing to create waste imo. Plus, fab con causes elastane to degrade prematurely, so anything containing elastic should avoid it.

One tip I'll share in case it may be of assistance; rubbing neat washing up liquid into an oil stain. I once threw about a cupful of cooking oil over a clean pair of cotton trackie pants just after having done my wash. I wasn't putting the machine on just for them so rubbed neat w.u.l in and left to dry and laundered several days later - every bit of the oil came out, most impressive.

Gardening this month? Soil prep, cultivation, manuring etc. Possibly planting onion sets, although I usually do mine in early Feb. Too early for most things.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    ploppy57,

Welcome from another relative newcomer. I would second the “you are all amazing”.
    My journey to A Simpler Life is mostly about decluttering at the moment. I am finding it very hard - it is making me think about why I keep things and what is stopping me getting rid of this ‘stuff’. Little things help - when the post is delivered I make myself a drink and sort it immediately e.g. pay bills, recycle envelopes, shredding. Making sure the washing up is done before going to bed.

So here is to a Simpler Life:beer:

MrsSD:)

Thanks for the welcome. I have been decluttering for along time now, but getting OH to agree with me is the hardest thing. He is happy to help with recycling everything, shredding paperwork, tidying up etc but he is a hoarder!! He has dvd's and cd's....(some still in the cellophane wrappers), that he has either never watched or listened to at all. or not watched for at least 10 years. When we moved house, almost 11 years ago, he packed them in a box, unpacked them onto the new shelf unit we bought....and they are still there, untouched! He just says he won't get rid of them, but he knows he probably won't ever use them. Also he has a cupboard full of cables, computer parts etc...that he is keeping "just in case". Just makes me so cross and I have tried everything to get him to ditch them, but to no avail. He even looks in charity shops at dvd's in case he sees another one he fancies!....even though he downloads films we want to watch these days. Am determined to get him onside eventually though....lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure