Tales from The Shire

Options

Comments

• Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    I’ve just had a lovely time catching up with your tales of FDawg. Thank you for sharing, he sounds like a right character. Glad to hear you’re feeling better too.

Thank you ETE. He's so good usually but there have been a few misdemeanours this week :o

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Doggie ice cream :rotfl: :rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    I'm very envious of your snow FS, although I'm sure it's a massive pain in the neck after a day or two.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    We have 7-8 inches of snow here :eek: Not something that would usually cause us any problems being 4x4 drivers. However, my friend who was due to dog sit for me today is not a 4x4 driver and could not get over to us :( We were due to go to Shrewbury so that Mr F could meet up with some old chums and I could go to the Christmas market with one of the wives. Mr F has gone on his own and will be staying over with one of the local guys. Sooo disappointed and a bit resentful of poor FDawg who should not be blamed having had no say about joining the Fortunate Household and cannot help needing care and attention. At least I didn't spend any money today.

It's the second disappointment I've had this week concerning outings. Mr F was home on Thursday so I booked a hair appointment and made a plan to have lunch out and do a bit of Christmas shopping. Just as I sat down to my cappuccino and gilded, spiced pear muffin (it really was a work of art), Mr F called to say he'd lost his key whilst out running and could I come home :mad: No problem I thought, I've left a spare key with our neighbour. If only they could remember where they'd put it :mad: In the end I sent the key home in a taxi at a cost of £15 :eek: and received a call just after to say the neighbours had found the key after all :mad: So I managed to keep my hair appointment but my plans for a lovely calm, indulgent day went out the window and I ending up eating the glorious muffin under the dryer in the hairdresser :mad: When I got home I found that Mr F had taken FDawg out running with him, got him covered in black mud from head to tail and then let him have the run of the house :mad: So the house has had an early spring clean :mad:

And just in case I hadn't reached the 'FML' point by then, the neighbours returned the key bringing their very badly behaved little dog with them. I couldn't leave them out in the snow so they came into the hall where badly behaved dog whined and barked and jumped all over the place. FDawg does not like badly behaved dog and tries to bite him when we're not looking so we'd kept FDawg in another room. However, FDawg is not happy about the intruder and has lifted his leg in the hall twice now to show his displeasure :eek::eek::eek: So I now know how to sand and repair an oak floor :mad:

Aaaaaaargh!

I could go on because there is more to report in the same vein but I am bored with myself now. And there are people homeless and on the streets in this weather who would give their eye teeth for a floor of any kind to sand. So I'm going to stop grumbling and start focusing on the good stuff.

We kept the heating on all day yesterday and the house was toasty warm. I've gone back to the timer today as it didn't seem that cold inside but I can feel the temperature dropping again now and have lit the fire. We are due another four inches of snow tomorrow :eek:

The builders came yesterday and worked through the worst of the weather :eek: I'd said we weren't expecting them to but they had hired equipment and were trying to avoid the cost of keeping it for another day. Some of the concrete floor has been removed and the noise wasn't as bad as I expected. That might have been the silencing effect of the snow though :cool:

I'd hoped to pick up a couple of Christmas things at the Fair today so will have to do a bit of on-line shopping for those now I think.

Off to check whether the snow has started again :snow_grin Stay safe and warm peeps.

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Dansmam
    Dansmam Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just de lurking to sympathise. Our lurcher lad has only ever cocked his leg once in the house - didn’t like the hound that friends brought visiting. Fantastic comments about a) FDawg not choosing where he lives (bet he’d choose the Fortunate household if he could though - he’s a very lucky dog to have found you ��) and b) people on the street giving their eye teeth for a floor to sand. Whingeing is allowed but love how you can whinge with perspective!
    I have borrowed from my future self
    The banks are not our friends
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oh my goodness what a trying time you have been having, hope all the pesky things are behind you now. Pleased that you have been toasty warm though.:D

Well we now have our share of snow, about 4 ins and snowing like the blazes still. Miss Border Collie had a great time tearing around the garden this morning, all on her own with OH and I watching her joy through the window:D

Keeping fingers crossed it all clears off soon, I have hospital appointments at QE B'ham on Tues and Orthopaedic at Oswestry on Thursday both a significant distance from here:eek:
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's quite a bad day, FS, I'm sure you're allowed a whinge about that, on your own diary of all places! Whingeing with perspective is admirable of course, as Dansmam points out :)

Maddie - hope your appointments go well. We've just had rain, down here in the south, quite a lot of it.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Grumbling is totalling understandable, FS! Like Dansmam, though, I'd guess FDawg would have chosen a place like the Fortunate household :)

Hope you manage to find something suitable online for the presents
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    We are all human & so is grumbling!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Doggie ice cream :rotfl: :rotfl:

He runs through it with his mouth open scooping up mouthfuls like a Skimmer Bird :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I'm very envious of your snow FS, although I'm sure it's a massive pain in the neck after a day or two.

It's been fine VH but has put pay to some of the planned fun. I'm ready for it to go now.

Fortune x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback