PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How to get over buyer's remorse?

Options
I have a severe case of buyer's remorse after completing and it's stopping me from enjoying my flat and the experience of living on my own for the first time. I'm questioning everything about it even what I saw as its good points before I bought it and all the (many) compromises that I made to buy in London. Now I'm just not sure it was worth it and I should've waited for something better to come along.

How do I get over this? It's affecting my daily life. I can't concentrate at work. I just feel like there's so much to do and it's getting me down. I just wish I was back in my old rental where I didn't have to think about all of this.

Comments

• Gru14
    Gru14 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I guess, like anything, just think about how luck you are.

Many people are struggling to buy and trapped in renting or living with parents etc. Also, it isn't forever, this is a step on a ladder and there is nothing stopping you from moving again.
    I doubt anyone is going to be able to give you an answer unfortunately.
    The best one is to just get a grip, be grateful for the positive aspects of your situation and property and get on with your life. Worrying/regretting isn't going to change anything. If you really feel THAT bad, sell it and move...

Sorry to give a harsh answer but reality check - regrets solve nothing. :)
  • needhouseadvice
    Options
    Gru14 wrote: »
    I guess, like anything, just think about how luck you are.

Many people are struggling to buy and trapped in renting or living with parents etc. Also, it isn't forever, this is a step on a ladder and there is nothing stopping you from moving again.
    I doubt anyone is going to be able to give you an answer unfortunately.
    The best one is to just get a grip, be grateful for the positive aspects of your situation and property and get on with your life. Worrying/regretting isn't going to change anything. If you really feel THAT bad, sell it and move...

Sorry to give a harsh answer but reality check - regrets solve nothing. :)

Thanks. I need a dose of tough love!
  • copperjar
    copperjar Posts: 884 Forumite
    Options
    Lists usually help!
    What is it really that is worrying you? The cost? The area? The work you need to do? You're probably in panic mode (if you're anything like me) and can't think straight. What can you change? What can't you change and what actions can you take? Get it down on paper - seeing your angst and worry in black and white will probably show you the way forward.

PS I had severe sellers regret for a week or so at accepting £2k less than asking price. Irrational maybe but felt really upsetting at the time. Worrying is fine in small doses but it can take over your life. It is often the mind playing tricks, getting you to doubt yourself!

What advantages have you gained by already grtting on property ladder and all moved in?
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • Gru14
    Gru14 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I think we all do from time to time. I do when I'm whinging about not being able to sell - at least I have a roof over my head and no mortgage!

We all get down in the dumps about our situations though, it's human nature. If being positive was easy the world would be a much nicer place!
  • HouseBuyer77
    Options
    There's no use dwelling on what could have been. Instead concentrate on what you have and what it could become.

Come up with ways to fix the negatives and make the flat more enjoyable for you, something as simple as repainting and giving the whole place a really decent clean could really brighten in up. Plus making positive steps towards improvement has a habbit of making you feel happier.
  • needhouseadvice
    Options
    copperjar wrote: »
    Lists usually help!
    What is it really that is worrying you? The cost? The area? The work you need to do? You're probably in panic mode (if you're anything like me) and can't think straight. What can you change? What can't you change and what actions can you take? Get it down on paper - seeing your angst and worry in black and white will probably show you the way forward.

PS I had severe sellers regret for a week or so at accepting £2k less than asking price. Irrational maybe but felt really upsetting at the time. Worrying is fine in small doses but it can take over your life. It is often the mind playing tricks, getting you to doubt yourself!

What advantages have you gained by already grtting on property ladder and all moved in?

Everything! It's a new area so I've left one I've lived in for years and absolutely love to bits. I have a few friends close but it's a shock. The new area is up and coming but at the moment there's not much there. It also needs a lot of work. And I paid over asking price which I now regret.

I guess now I'm on the ladder and I can build up some equity although all this Brexit stuff is making me think this isn't necessarily guaranteed anymore in the next few years. At the moment all I can think of is how early I can sell it again!
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Definitely make a list. Write down all the things that need changing/fixing and things that you could improve to make your life better there even if they don't need doing straight away, then order it by the things that are most urgent. Go through again and add in estimated costs.

If there's anything free/very cheap and easy that will make you happier, bump it up the list so you have a good mix of serious/expensive and cheap/easy stuff, then start working through and ticking things off. We moved here 4.5 years ago and we're still working through our list but we have a plan so it feels manageable and it's (almost) fun to look at what it coming up next.

Things like painting a room, hanging some pictures and inviting friends round to show off your new place don't cost much. Even if you don't feel like showing off, get people round because they will be excited for you and should be able to remind you why you liked it in the first place. Get your friends to come up with suggestions for what you can do with the rooms - even if they're ridiculous ideas, it's fun to plan!

Pay attention to the things you can do now that you couldn't do in a shared/rented place too. Put up wonky shelves if you like, walk around naked, paint a room a crazy colour. It's yours, you can do whatever you like.
  • Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Same thing happened to me! We moved from a house that needed nothing doing, it was fine. But we wanted more room. And the house we bought had a lot more in the way of problems that were found in the survey! My girlfriend was heartbroken and really missed the old house. BUT. Nearly two years on and this house is done exactly as we wanted and as fine as that old house and now she loves it.

The remorse wears off as you make it your own home. Slowly as you make things as you want them you remember why you wanted it.
  • needhouseadvice
    Options
    Chanes wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me! We moved from a house that needed nothing doing, it was fine. But we wanted more room. And the house we bought had a lot more in the way of problems that were found in the survey! My girlfriend was heartbroken and really missed the old house. BUT. Nearly two years on and this house is done exactly as we wanted and as fine as that old house and now she loves it.

The remorse wears off as you make it your own home. Slowly as you make things as you want them you remember why you wanted it.

I hope so! I'm telling myself that the first few months will be tough and hopefully in a year or so I'll be glad to have chosen this place. I think a big part is missing my old area where I had everything on my doorstep. There's nothing going on here.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think a lot of it is craving familiarity and a bit of homesickness thrown in.

I'm thinking of moving but I can feel the anxiety creeping in already. I've done it 7 times so really should be used to it, but we love our current house so much and it's going to be extremely hard leaving it. I feel I want to cry at the thought lol - not really been so emotionally attached to a house before. It's been a very happy home. We shall miss it terribly! I know when we move we'll probably wonder if we've done the right thing - but it's all about the area with us. I want to lose most or all of the mortgage, and live by the sea. We certainly won't get either of those if we stay.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family