Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,893
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Glad the weekend away went well Vix. I'm another wetherspoons fan, as they have a good range of veggie options with the calories listed :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,825
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    That's very true NG, although I struggle when there's too much choice - so used to only having a couple of options! I like the calorie listing too - while I might not pay that much attention to it, it is eye-opening.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,450
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I think we'd list "Spoons" (as it's known) as a guilty pleasure. Cheap and cheerful, I just wish they'd stay away from politics and stick to selling pints ;)
  • themadvix
    Forumite
    Morning all,

The sun is shining ....and now the washing is in the machine!

It's my Dad's birthday today - card bought already, need to put some cash in it as he's renewed the English Heritage membership we got him last year, so we're giving him the money for it. Will pop over to the shops for the cash machine later.

Will pop and see him later on the way to a meeting this evening. I've done my prep for the meeting and had some more good news about grants, but haven't had the official letter yet, so can't say anything! (So frustrating as it puts us halfway to target and I've got one application to do that should sort out the rest of the money (alongside the fundraising we've already got planned)).

Today I **must** finish the work I am working on. It's taking far too long (both in terms of compensation and just it dragging), but it's really quite hard-going and I'm fed up with it! That's my main goal. Nothing came in overnight from the Americans, so no distractions to getting it done (apart from writing here!).

Have been trying to persuade Mum that all the little bits I do online take about 10 mins a day (not longer surveys, granted, but all the SBs, MS rewards, VB bits) - and they do add up. She doesn't want a job but needs to up her income, but she think it's too time consuming....!

MS things:
    * (Not entirely sure this should be in this section!) Uncancelled veg box as actually we'll need it. Did manage to get one that we'll enjoy all the veg from. Now I've done this I need to plan a menu. Tonight and tomorrow night sorted - but need to buy a couple of bits for tomorrow. Actually making a curry from Rick Stein's India, which I got as a present erm 4/5 years ago? Oops!
    * SBs, MS rewards done. VB poll not up yet and more to do on SBs to get the Swago bonuses, but will work on that
    * Work!

Gratitudes:
    * Good time at evening class last night :)
    * Sunshine and a visit from Sis and Niece this morning (oops, I thought I was meant to be working? :o)
    * Taking a positive attitude to this meeting this evening, and ignoring the negative stuff that I know is scheduled..... *fingers in ears* la, la, la, I can't hear you!

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,450
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Unfortunately once people reach a certain age, they are very stuck in their ways and will not be swayed by reasonable arguments (my non-scientific test shows that this kicks in from about 47-48) :rotfl:

My MIL was always on very modest wages and currently earns a pittance until her small DB pension kicks in (basically a few £ of savings interest). I can't interest her in the most basic of ways to up her income, she CBA with even say a utilities switch.
  • themadvix
    Forumite
    Seem like a reasonable label for the Spoons Ed! And very true about their politics!

• themadvix
    Forumite
    In fairness, Mum's pretty good at the big stuff - she switches and shops around for insurances and utilities (although the latter has only been recently for a 'proper' switch away from BG) and paid off her mortgage early. She just thinks she hasn't got the time for the little bits with caring for Nan and apparently phone calls with 3 people each day. The fact that I was telling her I was doing these bits whilst speaking to her on the phone didn't seem to help.

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 25 April 2018 at 1:34PM
    themadvix wrote: »
    It's my Dad's birthday today - card bought already, need to put some cash in it as he's renewed the English Heritage membership we got him last year, so we're giving him the money for it. Will pop over to the shops for the cash machine later.
    This whole new movement of presents being experiences, not things, is absolutely wonderful :j
    themadvix wrote: »
    In fairness, Mum's pretty good at the big stuff - she switches and shops around for insurances and utilities (although the latter has only been recently for a 'proper' switch away from BG) and paid off her mortgage early. She just thinks she hasn't got the time for the little bits with caring for Nan and apparently phone calls with 3 people each day. The fact that I was telling her I was doing these bits whilst speaking to her on the phone didn't seem to help.
    I was going to chip in with something like that, actually :):):)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    Forumite
    edited 25 April 2018 at 3:03PM
    Karmacat wrote: »
    This whole new movement of presents being experiences, not things, is absolutely wonderful :j

It is wonderful - so much better than more 'stuff' made from irreplaceable resources that we don't want but feel obliged to keep!

• themadvix
    Forumite
    Just ordered 24 lavender plants from the newsletter for our front garden - it needs serious work! These will help and hopefully even spur us on to sort the rest of it out. At £4.45 delivered it seems silly to procrastinate about it.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback