PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

An undertaking

Options
2»

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tootling wrote: »
    I understand why an undertaking is basically, but not the circumstances that would require one.
    No, that's because they don't concern you directly. Would you like it if your solicitor passed confidential information up and down the chain willy-nilly?

I'm not angry at them about that
    You might like to re-read your original post, because it certainly comes across as that.
    I don't see how they could have not known. We had for weeks ago been aiming to exchange on x and complete on y and would have met that had it not been for their sudden revelation a day or two before everyone was set to exchange. The last bits and bobs were completed everyone basically thought they'd be exchanging on the day, or one or two days after, had no reason not to believe.
    Yet you assume that they clearly knew about this mysterious thing that you cannot identify.

Given that you've not exchanged yet, just be thankful that this isn't a total show-stopper with somebody pulling out completely.

They had dropped one house they were buying at the last minute
    So they spent real money on all the legals, surveys etc on one property - then just changed their mind, wasting that money completely, on a whim - just to annoy the rest of the chain?

Or something about that property suddenly turned into a showstopper, causing them at least as much grief as you?

Anyway that's confusing my question, i should have kept it to the point...

Under what circumstances would you need an undertaking?
    How long is a piece of string?

But i guess without more detail i might never know.
    Correct.

If the solicitor is unwilling to reword the undertaking (and in not questioning the fact he is) where did that leave everybody? Seems a funny thing to cause a chain to collapse.
    Quite.

Why would anybody be so intransigent for no rational reason whatsoever? It makes no sense - so the logical conclusion is that there must be a genuine issue here.

There has to be a way to move to alleviate whatever it is.
    Perhaps there is - or perhaps it'll cost more or take more time to resolve than just pulling out - or perhaps it's causing the lender to view the property as unsuitable security for the money.

But if course we don't know what that is. I am talking to myself here...
    Or perhaps you're just venting and lashing out. It's understandable that you're frustrated - but turning that frustration into anger helps nobody, least of all you, move forward.

Obviously best course of action now is to find somewhere to rent properly. Hmm.
    Or perhaps it'll all sort itself out, and you'll be exchanged by the end of the week.
  • Tootling
    Tootling Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Although at this point you are too wound up to see it, that solicitor is actually doing something that may turn out to be giving you a degree of protection too, somewhere much further down the line.

I assume that you don't want to find twenty years from now and many thousands of pounds paid out in mortgage etc that some glitch that the solicitor over-ruled, which failed to protect his "%^&*" clients, has led to an unsolveable problem with the lease, exorbitant maintenance/repair costs to which you are legally obliged to contribute, an incomplete Land Registry entry, uncertainty over true ownership, an unresolved boundary dispute..etc, etc.

Concentrate on cultivating patience, take a walk in the park each evening, anything that takes the sting out of your current frustration.

Hating, by the way, hurts the hater far, far more than the hated! Good luck. :)

That's a good point. And i know i have got myself way too worked up about this all. Especially yesterday.

I can't say I'm too bothered about the effects of the undertaking seeing as it doesn't effect me apart from holding everyone else up.

One reason why i never want to buy a place with a leasehold. Too much faffing about!
  • Tootling
    Tootling Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »

So they spent real money on all the legals, surveys etc on one property - then just changed their mind, wasting that money completely, on a whim - just to annoy the rest of the chain?
    No, but had we been in the same situation we'd have not gone directly into another purchase or at least would not have given assurances that you are able to exchange by a certain date which clearly would not be possible given that it was a less than a month between then and the suggested exchange. I would either have given up on said purchase, gone into rental or said that it is unlikely i can meet that exchange date due to xyz. Or if have asked my lender if i could break the chain whilst still going ahead with the purchase after having moved somewhere temporary. And the lender would have said yes you can or, alas no you can't and then if have been honest about that.

Perhaps there is - or perhaps it'll cost more or t
    Or perhaps it'll all sort itself out, and you'll be exchanged by the end of the week.
    Been saying that for the least month and a half. I realise this seems to be quite normal unfortunately.

Typing on my phone is utterly impossible.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tootling wrote: »
    One reason why i never want to buy a place with a leasehold.
    You don't even know this undertaking is related to the freehold. You are still assuming...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure