PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

When / how to kick out a nightmare lodger?

Options

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    bobwilson wrote: »
    Where on earth did you find her?! :T Can we have one please?!

Believe it or not, at the local Morrisons supermarket. Had originally made contact via spareroom and ended up meeting on neutral territory. I don't think London living would suit her being a country lass, so I'm afraid you'll have to find your own :p
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Blondetotty
    Options
    I know this is an awful lodger thread and I’ve had my fair share including one that used to leave mouldy fruit and decaying meat on plates in his room until they were slop and covered in flies but I’ve also had the gold standard of lodgers, in fact if Carlsberg did lodgers…

He was a surgeon at a local hospital just relocating to the area so had a family up north and only stayed with me Monday to Friday at the most. There was a strong looks similarity to the actor who played Michael Stonebridge in the TV series Strike Back. He was smart, funny, well spoken and could hold a decent conversation. He was polite, respectful, helpful and FIT! and one day he came in from the gym and pulled his sweaty T shirt off while I was in the kitchen. I did a Monica, opened the fridge door hid behind it and silently punched the air, thanked the Gods for sending him and reopened the door to ogle 😉 (FYI I’m not a creepy landlady generally but this guy was hot!)

He used to make the most amazing steak and mushroom baguettes and always asked if I wanted something when he cooked (he was a great cook), and he cleaned up after himself too but the absolute reason he was a Carlsberg lodger was the day that my cat died. I’d left home around 10am to take her to the crematorium approx. 45 minutes drive away after I’d had to have her put to sleep due to cancer but I hadn’t looked at the weather forecast because I was a bit of a mess over it. I left in bright and sunny weather but a huge storm rolled in and about 25 minutes into my journey up the motorway my windscreen wiper failed. I was tired, upset and called the AA who eventually sent someone out to me who fixed it and sent me on my way. 2 miles up the road it failed again but this time it took hours for them to reach me due to the rain and wind and other breakdowns and I was stood on the hard shoulder in a T shirt and keeping my cat dry in her basket with my leather jacket. From then I was transferred from the motorway and dumped at a service station to await yet another recovery truck. The service station security wouldn’t let me wait inside because I had an animal with me (even though she was dead in her basket) and at that point my brain had pretty much shut down so I stayed in the car with her (my softtop was also leaking by this point). I eventually arrived home at 10pm, 12 hours after I’d left. He knew what was going on and when I arrived had run me a hot bubble bath, took my cat from me, dried her off and put her on a blanket in a dry box, he then poured a large vodka down my throat, walked up the road to buy a Chinese takeaway, bundled me in a dressing gown and blankets and sat on the sofa with me watching re-runs of Dynamo until the early hours letting me cry and waffle. I was mentally and emotionally exhausted and he was my bloody guardian angel that night. Sadly he moved out a few months later after buying a place and bringing his family down but I’ll never ever forget that night, or him as a lodger.
  • bobwilson
    Options
    ... I’ll never ever forget that night, or him as a lodger.

Was he me or a copy of me by any chance?! I used to do things like that as a tenant & my landlords used to beg me not to leave :rotfl: I don't think that particular one was me though. I thought your story was going to end in you marrying him! aaahh..

Thanks for the story, he sounds amazing.

Seriously though, we don't expect anyone that incredible, we don't mind eccentricities or unusual habits because we're used to sharing, but we do hope for someone relatively respectful of everyone around them, who at least behaves like a human being :cool:

We genuinely thought the bad eggs would be a fraction of the total, but in reality they seem to be the majority :eek: We're starting to wonder if it's the area, if it's people (we get to meet a lot more people by doing this) or if it's lodgers in general.
  • Blondetotty
    Options
    Was he me or a copy of me by any chance?! I used to do things like that as a tenant & my landlords used to beg me not to leave :rotfl: I don't think that particular one was me though. I thought your story was going to end in you marrying him! aaahh../QUOTE]

Lol, trust me if he wasn't married I'd have been all over it! Fortunately I can add he was also a total gentleman to the list of amazing qualities. He and his wife are still happily married though and I wish them both well, she's a lucky lady.

Although, if you look like Michael Stonebridge too...:rotfl:
  • Blondetotty
    Options
    And FYI I'm with you on the good/bad split I'm 1 amazing, 3 bad, 1 on the fence with to date.
  • bobwilson
    Options
    As an aside from my op, we had some very nice lodgers too (although in the minority)

One was a lovely cheerful girl learning english (ironic since although she couldn't speak much english, I could understand her intentions better than most of the fluent english people we've had)... she was always smiling & happy to see everyone. She didn't invade anyone's bedrooms while they were sleeping, was very quiet & respectful of others, cleaned up after herself and she'd even often come out to eat with us at a restaurant from time to time. We actually enjoyed time with her & showed her the local area & things to do. She even came out with me & my partner for drinks & to a bar until the early hours in central London! It was a sad day for us when she received a job offer had to move out. We've remained friends.

Then we had another nice girl who was very creative & sweet. She was very independent, but when she was in the house, she cleaned up after herself, was able to hold a conversation, and she even took out the rubbish! Even though she was depressed about her job, she was still such a pleasure to live with.

Finally, there was a foreign girl who spoke fluent english and was very respectful of everyone around her- in the same way you'd expect everyone to be. She cleaned up after herself, didn't invade our bedrooms while sleeping, didn't scream my name at the top of her voice every day, didn't leave the front door open at night, and was able to hold a normal conversation. Nothing special, just a normal person- she ended up getting her own house with her partner & moved out.

There's one thing I've noticed the good eggs have in common, and it's that they move on in life. The bad eggs seem to stay in the same place forever, never improving or learning & very bad with people skills, but instead getting worse.
  • bobwilson
    Options
    And FYI I'm with you on the good/bad split I'm 1 amazing, 3 bad, 1 on the fence with to date.

Oh no! Good to know I'm not alone in the 70/30% split. I guess it probably also depends on area / street as to what types your home attracts. What area are you in?
  • bobwilson
    bobwilson Posts: 595 Forumite
    edited 21 February 2019 at 4:44PM
    Options
    You're a loon magnet.

You need to get somebody else to vet your lodgers as you clearly can't spot the oddballs....

Charming.

My friends & family & neighbours all had the wool pulled over their eyes by most of them! We're all quite surprised how they behave in their home lives.

We've also heard of many horror stories from prospective tenants about their past experiences with housemates.

I don't think I'm a loon magnet or that I can't vet people- I think they're often just impossible to spot & there are so many of them.
  • Blondetotty
    Options
    Oh no! Good to know I'm not alone in the 70/30% split. I guess it probably also depends on area / street as to what types your home attracts. What area are you in?

South coast for 4 of them, and Manchester for 2. Just realised it should read 4 bad, 1 amazing and 1 on the fence.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Over the years, I'd say 30% are lovely, but the remaining 70% turn out to either not know how to live with people, or verging on mentally ill.

When/if my daughter moves out I will be looking for another lodger.
    My only lodger was female, which was my preference.
    How many of yours were male/female?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport