Reference after written warning

Hi,
Wondering if I could get some advice, last month I got a written warning. It was a total surprise, no warning at all, should of fought it but as they blindsided me with it, I felt I had to sign it. They even told me that none of the reasons on there were directly my fault, I think they just needed someone to blame and I was a easy target. Because of this they said it would only stay on my record 3 months and I wasn’t put on a performance plan or anything. However it has given me such bad anxiety that I just want out. I have some interviews coming up however I’m worried now that this written warning will affect me getting a new job? I want to just tell the new employer I have one straight away to avoid any surprises before I hand in my notice (if I get offered it), is this a bad decision?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• From what I understand a company can not give a bad reference but can choose to not to provide you with a reference if they are not happy with you. If I was you I would not mention your warning as the chances of the new employer finding out are next to none. I really would not let this worry you and wishing you good luck for your interviews
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If applying for new jobs then sure, it's good to be honest.

But, don't make excuses or repeat lines like 'I was just an easy target'. It makes you sound difficult to work with/manage.

Instead just say that you made a mistake, got a warning, have learned something from it, and weren't put on an improvement plan.
  • Kickup wrote: »
    From what I understand a company can not give a bad reference but can choose to not to provide you with a reference if they are not happy with you. If I was you I would not mention your warning as the chances of the new employer finding out are next to none. I really would not let this worry you and wishing you good luck for your interviews

That is untrue and a false rumour which seems to perpetuate.. A company can of course give a bad reference, of a bad employee.

References have to be factual, and naturally, true.

If you came in late everyday, the reference can say that. If you were bad at your job and missed targets, the reference can say that. It can not contain opinions such as ‘they were annoying’ or ‘they didn’t try hard’ etc.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Kickup wrote: »
    From what I understand a company can not give a bad reference but can choose to not to provide you with a reference if they are not happy with you. If I was you I would not mention your warning as the chances of the new employer finding out are next to none. I really would not let this worry you and wishing you good luck for your interviews

In continuance of KatrinaWave's comments, the bolded advice is also incorrect. There is every chance the new employer could find out about the warning as it could be disclosed in the reference from the OPs current employer.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Pound to a penny your reference says:
    LJ worked here nn/nn/20nn to xx/xx/2019
  • That is untrue and a false rumour which seems to perpetuate.. A company can of course give a bad reference, of a bad employee.

References have to be factual, and naturally, true.

If you came in late everyday, the reference can say that. If you were bad at your job and missed targets, the reference can say that. It can not contain opinions such as ‘they were annoying’ or ‘they didn’t try hard’ etc.

Well I'd have to disagree, say you were a record label executive and someone asked for a reference for Jedward, If you didn't say 'they were VERY annoying' you would probably be subject to legal action.
  • Well I'd have to disagree, say you were a record label executive and someone asked for a reference for Jedward, If you didn't say 'they were VERY annoying' you would probably be subject to legal action.

Don’t you dare say a bad word about Jedward on my watch! :mad::mad::mad:
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Don’t you dare say a bad word about Jedward on my watch! :mad::mad::mad:

That's your opinions taken with a huge pinch of salt in future!
  • pmduk wrote: »
    That's your opinions taken with a huge pinch of salt in future!

Everyone has a hill to die on... :rotfl:
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi,
    Wondering if I could get some advice, last month I got a written warning. It was a total surprise, no warning at all, should of fought it but as they blindsided me with it, I felt I had to sign it. - How would you fight it? They even told me that none of the reasons on there were directly my fault, I think they just needed someone to blame and I was a easy target. Because of this they said it would only stay on my record 3 months and I wasn’t put on a performance plan or anything. - seems reasonable However it has given me such bad anxiety that I just want out. - really? it's a piece of paper I have some interviews coming up however I’m worried now that this written warning will affect me getting a new job? I want to just tell the new employer I have one straight away to avoid any surprises before I hand in my notice (if I get offered it), is this a bad decision?

Thank you in advance!

Up to you. It may or may not come up in the reference
    Kickup wrote: »

Most certainly they can give a bad reference! As long as it's truthful.

"e.g. Louise Jayne received a written warning following an incident which cost the company £x. We would not look to rehire her in the future."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure