Investing in companies Pre-Brexit

Comments

• I'm looking to top up my pension immediately after Brexit, when the stock market tanks.

There'll be bargains then.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    No one concerned about China........:think:
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I'm looking to top up my pension immediately after Brexit, when [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] parts of the U.K. stock market tanks.

There'll be bargains then.

FTFY. Additional text
  • azza987
    azza987 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Thanks for all the helpful and positive replies, I guess buying shares is a mugs game, no point in buying shares in amazon in 1997 for £1.79 each. It really does amaze me how impossible it is to have a thread without pessimistic know it all's trying to start debates instead of actually saying something, anything positive.
    H&L is a rip off but I have managed to build a profit regardless. Thanks for genuine replies, will keep looking.
  • AnotherJoe
    azza987 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the helpful and positive replies, I guess buying shares is a mugs game, no point in buying shares in amazon in 1997 for £1.79 each. It really does amaze me how impossible it is to have a thread without pessimistic know it all's trying to start debates instead of actually saying something, anything positive.
    H&L is a rip off but I have managed to build a profit regardless. Thanks for genuine replies, will keep looking.

You've changed your question, you specifically asked for recommendations related to Brexit. So, how is Amazon related to that?? Were it not to exist, and they were to be IPOing tomorrow I refer you to my second category, For specific global companies Brexit is an irrelevance.
  • azza987
    azza987 Posts: 13 Forumite
    I was referring to someone else's reply but yes ok Mr internet warrior you have been very helpful and not belittling and annoying at all. :T
  • AnotherJoe
    edited 21 February 2019 at 9:55AM
    I was referring to someone else's reply but yes ok Mr internet warrior you have been very helpful and not belittling and annoying at all. :T

Aside my being annoying which I'm sure many would agree with, :D, do you still think your basic premise that there are some Brexit related reasons you should be buying specific companies or industries or geographies , is valid?

I can think of one company which is relatively high risk but I think is a great ten year investment. But as it's not Brexit related I'll remain annoying and not mention it :rotfl:
  • Yes I do believe Britain leaving the eu will effect certain companies for better or worse. If you can't say anything helpful, encouraging or positive, why say anything at all?
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    For general world wide investments Brexit is an irrelevance.
    For specific global companies Brexit is an irrelevance.
    For niche British companies Brexit is already priced in or irrelevant.

Only the probability of specific outcomes is priced in i.e. no deal, soft Brexit, remain, etc.
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes I do believe Britain leaving the eu will effect certain companies for better or worse. If you can't say anything helpful, encouraging or positive, why say anything at all?

It certainly will but we don't know how yet as the outcome is uncertain. That's why it might be best to avoid specific shares and invest in a global fund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure