Help to buy

I bought a help to buy property in 2015. Government put down 20% in a loan and I paid rest of deposit (5%). Purchase price 435k probably worth £500 to £520 now. Is there anyway I can borrow against the house without repaying the help to buy loan first. Nationwide say no.

Looking at doing a conversion on a small flat out of London and trying to raise purchase and renovation financing. All suggestions welcomed.Budget as high as anybody will lend us!!

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    No. There isn't.

It's nothing to do with Nationwide. It's an HTB scheme rule.

https://www.myfirsthome.org.uk/
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Yugga
    Yugga Posts: 17 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thank you. Any good strategies of borrowing up to £250k for house purchase and renovation in total in our case. My wife and I both have good salaries but not much capital. Have access to some unsecured borrowing. Maybe 50k between us. Current mortgage is in my name only,
  • Yugga
    Also another question. My wife is an EU citizen. She has qualified for pre-settled status but has spent most of the last 15 to 20 years in the UK. Any idea how this impacts her mortgageability? I am British.
  • Yugga
    kingstreet wrote: »
    No. There isn't.

It's nothing to do with Nationwide. It's an HTB scheme rule.

https://www.myfirsthome.org.uk/

Any comments on my 2 replies below please kingstreet.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Working, sorry.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Yugga
    No worries thanks for your help anyway. Any ideas anybody else?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure